LegacyGT.com

Least favorite modifications?

I've been wondering the same thing. My specB came with the STi STS, but I've noticed that it's quite notchy when shifting.

Is the Cobb STS that much of an improvement? Not as much notchiness? Same or shorter throws?

Cobb is double adjustable- throw and height so you can customize pretty much to your liking. :)
Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Samco,Perrin, AVO, etc. turbo inlet hose.

I did this mod (Samco) on my STi and wont do it again on my GT.Pain in the ass install with minimal(if any) gains.

Thank god I got it (Samco)fairly cheap(used) or I would have really have been pissed:icon_mad: :lol: :lol: .

All the non-SSR Competition Wheels that I bought.. If I only got over the fact of their looks in the first place, I would have been happier.. way happier..

Oh, and all those skinny narrow tires... I dont need those.

I think that's it.. no regrets because I can always sell off of the things I dont want.

Keefe

I did the Cobb, side and rear bushings, plus an STi transmission mount all at the same time (for the same money as the STi STS to be honest). This combo....Cobb shifter, hardened bushings and STi mount > STi STS in all ways...smoothness, throw, shifter length. :icon_mrgr

Got another question...

Since my car came with the STi STS, I don't know what it replaced or what was involved during installation. Can I just swap what I have with the Cobb STS, or do I need any stock parts that would be missing due to the STi STS install?

All the non-SSR Competition Wheels that I bought.. If I only got over the fact of their looks in the first place, I would have been happier.. way happier..

Oh, and all those skinny narrow tires... I dont need those.

I think that's it.. no regrets because I can always sell off of the things I dont want.

A sucker is born every minute, as the Maestro used to say.

I took it down to precision tuning in NJ to have it installed & they told me they'll never use another copper gasket again. Too many have disintigrated on people. They also told me they've had more than a few people come in with crucial uppipes that were a few degrees off & wouldn't fit for shit. I'm happy with my crucial downpipe but I was very unhappy with the UP & the gaskets

maybe the "new" design will address some issues?

I thought copper were a better way to go? What the advantage supposed to be?

Got another question...

Since my car came with the STi STS, I don't know what it replaced or what was involved during installation. Can I just swap what I have with the Cobb STS, or do I need any stock parts that would be missing due to the STi STS install?

we pulled the whole thing out and compared - the difference in the STS is in the upper section, the part the Cobb replaces. If I had it to do over, I'd have save a couple hours and just swapped out the STi lever with it's different pivot point.

I do not have a lot of mods but if I had to pick one, I'd say my Xtec HID-5000K. Not to take anything away from RPM (great customer support) but when I lined up beside a TSX, I immediately noticed what I was missing.

we pulled the whole thing out and compared - the difference in the STS is in the upper section, the part the Cobb replaces. If I had it to do over, I'd have save a couple hours and just swapped out the STi lever with it's different pivot point.

I appreciate that info. ^^^^

Maybe I should save some $$ for a new STS, then. :)

I am grateful to all you guys for contributing to my "right" choice.:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Your bad choice gave me the good choice.:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Remember..."MODDING is a HOBBY:icon_bigg, not a BAAAD HABIT";) .

the OEM STi STS is the whole thing, but I'm telling you...only the top part is what's different. I had mine installed by the dealer so I got the stock assembly back - I could have swapped the STi portion over and sold the whole thing, but for most people, all they care about is the upper portion.

Some people want OEM. I know...I was one of them, back in '04. ;)

the OEM STi STS is the whole thing, but I'm telling you...only the top part is what's different. I had mine installed by the dealer so I got the stock assembly back - I could have swapped the STi portion over and sold the whole thing, but for most people, all they care about is the upper portion.

Some people want OEM. I know...I was one of them, back in '04. ;)

Ok then... so I would be safe by just removing the STi shift lever and leaving everything else that's normally attached to the lever in there... and then installing the Cobb lever?

Thanks again, BTW. I hate being a n00b to modding a different brand of car. If I was over at VWvortex, I'd have most of the answers already. :icon_bigg

Actually, I just installed my first lame-o mod: The Momo shift knob. Much more comfortable than the stock unit.

I do not have a lot of mods but if I had to pick one, I'd say my Xtec HID-5000K. Not to take anything away from RPM (great customer support) but when I lined up beside a TSX, I immediately noticed what I was missing.

TSX, has, if not one of the best projector+hid package out there...what did you expect?i would retro a full TSX kit if i had the time and money

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool:

Ebay Pro Racing gauges (complete junk)......

and a second would have to go to the K&N Typhoon intake.

Damnit, I just installed the Typhoon.....anything specific?

Edit: ok,ok other than the apparent riceyness....

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

AVO endlinks – Now off and trash after less than a year

Clearing the headlights – Re-done 3 times

Perrin short throw – back to stock

BF KDW’s – loud as hell!!

i got the bf kdws on mine.

they like to let go all at once. very unnerving at times.

i should have spent the money on the pilot a/s sports

Archived