LegacyGT.com

poll: What oil are you using and what change interval?

Yes, but I like to jump to 40. Do too, I drive my GT like a rental car:rolleyes::spin::eek: with shifts above 6k.

Remember my & G|F's oil history. She ran 0W-30 SSO & Ea15k13 oil filter stock location for over 150k. And I did too, didn't move to the duel remote filter sysytem until 73k.

I would like this SSO in 40 weight, that all.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Totally forgot to grab an oil sample for my OA when i did my oil change a couple weeks back. She's never burned a drop on Motul (knock on wood), and that's all she's ever ran with... Curious to see the OA however.

Just to experiment, I ran the Amsoil 0w-40, "4 Stroke Oil" (product code AFF), for 10,000 miles in my 1.8L/225 Hp, Audi TT Quattro. It worked as well as any other Amsoil product I've tried. I did a baseline test first to look at the physical/chemical properties. This oil has lots of ZDDP & boron, a TBN of 10.5, VI of 184 and NOACK volatility of only 7.3% (check out the spec sheet). One thing that surprised me is that this stuff is pretty shear stable, which is unusual for a wide range multi grade (0w-40, 5w-50, etc). This oil uses an older API, SL/CF chemistry that allows for higher additive levels than SM or SN.

I can recommend the Amsoil 0w-40 in HiPo automotive gas engines, based on the actual testing I've done.

TS

I have been using Amsoil European Car Formula 5w40 every 3k.

WOW, that's not long at all. I'm at just over 5000 miles on it in the wagon. I'll go another 1000 then change it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Just changed from PennzUltra 10w30 and a wix filter to:

Castrol Edge 0w-40 with Subaru *AA160 black filter.

Edge is on sale at AAP this month, 5qts with Fram Ultra filter. Didn't need any subaru filters so I got an oversized filter for my riding mower instead. Yes, I'm putting a Fram Ultra on my lawn tractor... lol.

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

GC and around 6K miles. 88K on a 2010 LGT; it spends most of its time punching holes in the air on the interstate so I could probably go longer, but I'm too old & lazy to pull off the tray to take a sample.

When GC finally disappears, it'll be M1 0W-40 Euro Formula.

Finally ran out of AA100 Tokyo Rokis; still waiting for a consensus on the best non-Fram replacement. The upright Forester filter is intriguing, as is the Tokyo Roki for the RX-8.

I run the Amsoil Ea15k12 or Ea15k20 (the larger filter) oil filters on my 2.5L Subaru's. However, they're too expensive to be changed every 3000 miles. These use a very low restriction, full synthetic, wire backed "nano fiber" media that also has very high dirt holding capacity. I've cut them open after 15k-20k of use and they hold up fine.

TS

Just changed from PennzUltra 10w30 and a wix filter to:

Castrol Edge 0w-40 with Subaru *AA160 black filter.

Edge is on sale at AAP this month, 5qts with Fram Ultra filter. Didn't need any subaru filters so I got an oversized filter for my riding mower instead. Yes, I'm putting a Fram Ultra on my lawn tractor... lol.

AAP's web site says that BC v2 isn't eligible for promotional discounts or special offers. Is it different in the store or does it just depend on the person ringing up your purchase?

-Dennis

rang up at my local AAP for 29.99 five quarts and FramUltra filter... That was on monday AM.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wcsstore/CVWEB/Attachment/staticbusinesscontent/image/apr-2013-flexi.pdf

Ad doesn't state any specific weights, just edge... ???

Napa has their synthetic on sale for 3.49/qt. Would be a good choice to run in a NA subie for 5-7k. 10w-30 should be fine in a turbo if your stock or stage 1/2 for 3-4k.

That statement is on every oil listed on the site. I just keeps people from using multiple discounts on oil, like $25 off $100 etc. The sale flyer price will be good in store.

That looks like the chemical signature of the Pennzoil Ultra???

Results look very good. I recommend 10w-30 synthetics for turbo applications partially because they're the most shear stable of the SAE grades. If this testing was by a lab other than Blackstone, you can run the TBN down to 25% of its baseline value. If its a Blackstone Labs TBN result, you can go down to 20% of the baseline. (I like to be somewhat conservative in the interest of maintaining excellent deposit control).

TS

Archived