LegacyGT.com

Koni dampers for Legacy

OB Lee

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have finally finsihed up the Koni Sport shock and strut development on the '05 LGT wagon. I have just handed the car back to Rem870 with great appreciation for letting us borrow it for three days.

I don't want to get too far into it now but I can say that myself and our R&D staff are very happy with the new development. Even set at the softest rebound adjustment setting the car is very solidly transformed and it gets aggressive when adjusted up from there. I can safely say that the OE Subaru dampers are amongst the worst or possibly the very worst OE dampers that I have ever driven on our 15 or so mile test loop. The car came to us on lowering springs and stock dampers and it was very bad when the road was not smooth or the car was asked to begin the first steps of handling. this car sits very close to the stock bump rubbers which are very firm so the lowered car is almost constantly making bump rubber contact when roads are uneven. We took off the aftermarket springs and returned the car to its stock springs and it is very nice and Sporty with the Konis. I can safely say that although you can add them, these cars don't automatically need aftermarket springs but they do need good aftermarket dampers.

We had hoped to use an existing Koni Sport front strut insert from another Subaru and then make a special rear shock for the Lagacy. But the size and weight of the Legacy is requiring us to make a special front and rear damper for the car becasue of both valving and dimensions. Now that we have done the development work with the car, we will begin the engineering, pre-production and production process to get them ready for market. I do not have a time frame as yet for availability but realistically late Winter to early Spring 2007 would be likely. We will try to push it through quicker but I cannot make any promises as there many other priority projects in line as well.

I really beleive that these dampers turned the car from one of the very worst on our loop to one that we are very happy with and is really good when you turn the car uphill. At the softest setting, the car is quite sporty but very pleasant and livable for use on any paved surfaces and a tweak of the adjustment knob will make the car exteremly go-kart like for a car it's size.

If he wants, I'll let Rem870 make comments once he has driven on them some.

thanks for the update Lee.

Does the car still squat in the rear on Koni/stock spring combo? That seems to be the #1 reason people want to change springs. Perhaps the extra damping of the struts can allow us not to have to lower our cars to get better performance (my personal preference).

i too am curious about how the stock springs will match to these struts as far as performance. if I could get improved improved cornering, less dive, less squat, etc i'd be thrilled. however, i thought that the bulk of this was handled by the spring and the struts just kept me from bouncing all over the place.

I for one am a firm believer that the stock dampers (at least when fairly new) are overdamped a little for the factory springs. Others have confirmed this (iON).

Better dampers are always a good thing, but better springs are needed too.

For example people with spec-Bs have noticed huge improvements just by changing to stiffer springs on their OEM Bilsteins.

Just a reminder to remember the Outbacks!
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

That was meant to be a reminder to Koni.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Having had the Koni's on for a couple of days now I can tell you they make a huge difference (duh). More than I expected actually, especially for the spring I am using. I am on the stock springs for now as I wanted to see how the car would perform.

I have been pleasantly surprised. The car is more controlled and poised. It has a very "European" feel without being harsh and rough. Big bumps are more controlled and isolated to the wheel impacted. The car is tight yet doesn't follow the road like a go-kart. The setting I am referring to here is full soft, I have not cranked them up yet and I will want to add to this when I have the chance to test that out. It will probably give me more of that go-kart feel. :iam:

Anyway, only other suspension mod is the AVO rear sway and I can tell you this thing handles way better than stock (duh again). I may not want to go back to the lowered look I had before, and might try upgrading to adjustable sways.

With the other strut options that are available I would challenge someone in the group buy to also try just the stockers to get your opinions. Also some folks had the chance to drive it this past weekend and maybe they can weigh in.

My experience with the Tokico shocks, FWIW:

- The Illumina series (adjustables) are a pretty good shock, but expensive

- The HP series are not a very good shock. They are the worst of both worlds: harsh over small bumps, crashy and uncontrolled over large ones. HPs also have a tendancy to blow out prematurely.

I would prefer Bilstein and Koni over Tokico or KYB anytime.

Mccorry was a little tentative and Mr. Coffee got right on it. Good idea to have them chime in. I would welcome their feedback. Again, it was set to full soft.

Praedet you are also welcome to make the trip down for a test drive.

I went easy on it... since it isn't my car. The around-town drive was very comfortable. Not harsh at all ... but much more taunt and sure footed. The body roll seemed to be less. I can't speak as to the pitch and dive characteristics.

Mind you.. this was stock springs on Koni struts.... and Shawn tells me they were on full soft. I would've liked to try them tightened up some.... but we just didn't have enough time with all the other work we had to do.

Maybe I will have another get together soon ... just to check out and test drive each other's cars...

PS - it was puzzled (Denis) that drove your car... not Mr. Coffee. Mr. Coffee is down in Georgia now... ;)

My experience with the Tokico shocks, FWIW:

- The Illumina series (adjustables) are a pretty good shock, but expensive

- The HP series are not a very good shock. They are the worst of both worlds: harsh over small bumps, crashy and uncontrolled over large ones. HPs also have a tendancy to blow out prematurely.

I would prefer Bilstein and Koni over Tokico or KYB anytime.

Ah, so it's the HPs that give Tokico their bad reputation? In the VW world, NO ONE considered Tokicos (Illumina's too, IIRC), because they were reputed to blow out early.

Have heard good things about Koni.

HV

Ah, so it's the HPs that give Tokico their bad reputation? In the VW world, NO ONE considered Tokicos (Illumina's too, IIRC), because they were reputed to blow out early.

Have heard good things about Koni.

HV

honda world has the same problem, they use them but they blow so easily

The HP shocks were always a good stock replacement, but not for lowered cars. All of the illuminas Ive seen seemed to wear out early, but thats why they were adjustable, so you could turn it up to get it back to where it was.

Archived