LegacyGT.com

Koni dampers for Legacy

OB Lee

we will begin the engineering, pre-production and production process to get them ready for market. I do not have a time frame as yet for availability but realistically late Winter to early Spring 2007 would be likely. We will try to push it through quicker but I cannot make any promises as there many other priority projects in line as well.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh and Outback people. There is hope, it's not a lost cause.

This is encouraging, but I wish I knew more. I'm still very anxious to get the Konis, and I don't mind waiting, if they are a close fit to the original OB suspenders.

Speaking ot the OEM LGT springs, has anyone tried to use them with JDM Spec B Rev A struts? I wonder what the ride/handling would be and whether they will match up. I now have JDM Bilsteins paired up with the Swifts and the ride is pretty harsh.

I suggest you try a different thread for that.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

We have finally finsihed up the Koni Sport shock and strut development on the '05 LGT wagon. I have just handed the car back to Rem870 with great appreciation for letting us borrow it for three days.

I live in Australia and I would like to know if the Koni Yellow sports shocks will be ok for my 2003 2.0i Liberty (Legacy) auto sedan when they come out in 2007? After reading all the feedback since my last post I need to know if I can buy 'Yellows' so that they bolt straight on , front and rear, without any modifications done to the struts etc,.

I can buy 'Yellows' right now to fit on my Liberty but modifications and alterations have to be made to fit them on the front. I don't like that and would prefer a Koni set up where the shocks just bolt straight on from the 'packet'.

Also, has anyone noticed a knocking sound coming from the standard shocks , mainly on the Legacy range on bad ripply bitumen surfaces?

Speaking ot the OEM LGT springs, has anyone tried to use them with JDM Spec B Rev A struts? I wonder what the ride/handling would be and whether they will match up. I now have JDM Bilsteins paired up with the Swifts and the ride is pretty harsh.

I'd probably go with Pinks before the OEM LGT springs. The OEMs would be too soft.

I have the same setup as you, and I don't think it's too harsh. Over big, sharp-edged bumps, yes, but the normal day-to-day stuff here in WI is not too bad, IMHO.

I also can't speak for any Rev B or C comparisons, but the Rev A's are supposed to be the firmest riding Bilsteins.

Again, not that I would change them out. :)

Anyone know if we will be able to shorten the struts with the Koni inserts?

In my other car, the great part about using Koni inserts is you can shorten the strut body by a little over an inch. This means that you get > 1" of extra travel. I lowered the car 1" and still had the same amount of travel as the car came with :D

Ted

:spin:

Would be nice as I have a lowered OBXT and like the look.

Anyone know if we will be able to shorten the struts with the Koni inserts?

In my other car, the great part about using Koni inserts is you can shorten the strut body by a little over an inch. This means that you get > 1" of extra travel. I lowered the car 1" and still had the same amount of travel as the car came with :D

Ted

Aren't you going to run into the factory bumpstops at the same point?

Yes, at least in the rear.

On my car lowered 3/4 inch in the rear with the stiffest Bilsteins (JDM Rev-A) it touches the rear bump stops all the time. It doesn't really hit it unless you go over a real big bump, but you can tell from looking at it underneath the car that it touches it very often.

So on the rear extra suspension travel would not do much good. Unless you changed the bump stops.

Here you go....

If the spring is shorter by 1 inch, the top hat is moved down by 1". If the strut can be shortened 1" without moving the bottom perch, than you have regained an inch of travel. Spring rate does not factor into this. BUT, if you raise the spring rate than you are even less likely to hit the bump stops...

Believe me. I have done this to a strut (Non-LGT). It works :D

Ted

Ted, of course you are right about the above.

The question for me is how low do you want your car to be able to get? When you go over a bump do you want the car to rub on the ground.

I would imagine that for our cars it is likely safest to always have stiffer springs when it is lowered (regardless of what is done to the bumpstops) so the car never gets too close to the ground.

Of course having struts that are an inch lower is probably a good thing, I think it will work better.

I agree, the ideal situation is factory or greater travel, with stiffer progressive springs...

My other car actually has about an extra 0.25" of travel in the front and 0.5" in the rear over stock, even though it is lowered 1" and 0.75" respectively. Plus it is running Hyperco progressive springs that are double the factory stiffness :D

With Koni's and the prgressive coil, it is compliant over bumps, but the 2x stiffess makes it a go-cart in corners :D

I would love to do the same on the Legacy. 1/2-1" lower with factory or greater travel, and a stiffer progressive spring. If you play with the perch, you can even do it with a factory length or longer spring.

Ted

• 4 weeks later...

Well, sorta. Less weight transfer off the rears, effectively the rears become more useful.

Yeah, I know it's late, but really I'm just trying to keep the subject warm...

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Archived