LegacyGT.com

Guide to the 30,000 mile service

Why is SOA recommending oil changes at 3750 mi. That's absolute BS. Example: BMW has a system that tells the owner when an oil change is needed based on usage, RPMs turned, temperatures, etc.. Naturally they use all synthetics. The "normal" intervals for oil changes is 15,000 to 20,000 miles. FACTORY recommendation!

Synthetic tranny and differential fluids will last 50,000 miles. My Cherokee was changed once at 10,000 and it currently has 105K. If you don't dive in deep muddy water (and who does?) it should last the life of the car. It's a totally sealed unit.

Engine heat does not effect synthetics the way it does dino oil. It's a whole new ball game. Mobil Ones top grade has a recommended 25,000 oil change with filter changes approx. every 7,500.

I retired last year from my job a as 3rd shift garage Manager at a mass transit system in a large city for 15 years. It's surprising how many master mechanics mistakenly cling to the 3000 mile oil change baloney. It's just tradition and force of habit. :lol:

As to SOA warranty, it's been my experience, with my only problem, stinky clutch, that they won't fix anything anyway because they just claim the car was abused!

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SOA recommends 3750 miles assuming dino oil AND severe duty. 7500 miles is normal use. Most people fall in between interesting which about 5000 miles, the new "3000 mile" change interval suggested by most mechanics now.

My Honda Odyssey has the system that estimates oil change interval based upon engine usage. Based upon my wife's city driving, it usually recommends an oil change every 4500 to 5000 miles.

IMHO, I believe the calibration is based upon dino oil even though 5W20 was only available as a synthetic or synthetic blend at the time the car was built.

Having had a BMW M3, the OBC isn't the end-all indicator of oil change. The OBC determines your next service interval based on fuel consumption patterns.

It really depends on a case-by-case basis.

While I had the car, I was specifically advised to change oil out in between the OBC interval due to aggressive driving on closed tracks.

For the majority of BMW customers who slow-roll around town @ 65 mph, yes, 15K intervals are fine.

And to Opie's previous post (although an old one) about manufacturers not having to cover repairs under warranty for unmaintained vehicles, BMW has their Full Maintenance Program (or Ultimate Program, or whatever it's now called). :)

Why is SOA recommending oil changes at 3750 mi. That's absolute BS. Example: BMW has a system that tells the owner when an oil change is needed based on usage, RPMs turned, temperatures, etc.. Naturally they use all synthetics. The "normal" intervals for oil changes is 15,000 to 20,000 miles. FACTORY recommendation!

• 2 months later...

...and when they say drain and flush, what they probably mean is drain and refill. If you have so much gook that it needs flushing, you're probably near a rebuild anyway.

Drain and fill carries the day if done regularly.

...and when they say drain and flush, what they probably mean is drain and refill. If you have so much gook that it needs flushing, you're probably near a rebuild anyway.

Drain and fill carries the day if done regularly.

Doing a drain & fill of a Subie automatic transmission leaves 2-3qts of "old" fluid in the torque converter, the only way to get that out so all the fluid is "new" is to do a transmission flush...otherwise the old fluid trapped in the torque converter will mix with the new fluid.

IMHO I would flush the transmission every 60k (60, 120, 180, etc) and only drain & fill on the 30k (30, 90, 150, etc.) service.

Anybody know the service intervals for the main warranty? (3yr/36k)

We purchased our car recently and have not taken in for the service yet. Is it every 6k?

Regular duty - 7,500 miles

Severe duty - 3,750 miles

...check your maintenance book to see what puts you in the severe duty schedule.

I was told Subaru provides the first 2 years of service free when I got my spec.B. Anyone have any ideas on what this includes....intervals, etc.?

^^^ Did you get that in writing? Perhaps that's an incentive your dealership offers.

- The Mortgage Man

I was told Subaru provides the first 2 years of service free when I got my spec.B. Anyone have any ideas on what this includes....intervals, etc.?

Yes, they do in fact... if you pay for it up front. You can purchase a "maintenance package" where you pre-pay for the first however many services. Subaru has never offered a free service so I sure hope you got something in writing.

That or welcome to another AE by Bu11 or someone. :lol:

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Yes, they do in fact... if you pay for it up front. You can purchase a "maintenance package" where you pre-pay for the first however many services. Subaru has never offered a free service so I sure hope you got something in writing.

That or welcome to another AE by Bu11 or someone. :lol:

:lol: I just got the sign up forms for it today. It says "Maintenance Plan Enrollment", 24 months, 24,000. Looks like they won't be paying for the 30K service, which I will hit within 24 months.

It says I will receive a coupon booklet for all scheduled maintenance items. Also includes rental if the car has overnight warranty repair.

Plan is honored at all Subaru dealers.

It looks like this is the same plan that you mentioned, except either the dealer or Subaru paid for it. The cost of $0 is listed on the first page.

• 3 weeks later...
Just another note for a non-gouger

30k at Van Bortel was 349.00 with a whopping whole $5.00 charge for an 06 2.5i to use for the day.

One of the rare times that a dealer has impressed me top to bottom

Van Bortel is the best dealership I have ever worked with. Bought 3 new cars from them...and wished I still lived up in Fairport so I could still deal with them.

• 1 month later...
Van Bortel is the best dealership I have ever worked with. Bought 3 new cars from them...and wished I still lived up in Fairport so I could still deal with them.

Amen. I just bought my GT from them a few weeks ago. Was the best sales experience I've had....with any product. The day of pickup, as I'm driving off the lot my cell phone rings. It's one of the salesmen (not one I had even met at this point). He says, "don't leave!", I noticed a "big" dent in your car as you pulled away and didn't want you to get home and freak out. I pulled back in and took a look with him. There were two very small dings in the rear passenger door (that I already knew about and wasn't concerned with) I didn't mention that of course. He insisted that they be fixed because "it's just not right for a nice car like that to leave here with dings." :) Brought it back a few days later and they fixed it up for me.

On topic. My 30K was $340 or so. They split it with me since I bought the car with 28K and didn't want to come back in 2k to have it done.

My car is at 38K and it was recommended that I FLUSH the coolant (charge is 89.99). Does this sound right? Are there places like Wal Mart that check and replace all of the fluids for $49.99?

Flushing with a machine isn't necessary. Just drain and fill, as in this thread: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24911&highlight=coolant+flush

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

Archived