LegacyGT.com

Guide to the 30,000 mile service

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey does anyone know what a good price for a 60,000 mile service would be. Stohlman subaru is quoting around $850 for everything it includes:

Filter and Oil change

BG oil treatment

Flush coolant, trans, diff, and brake fluids

tire rotation and balance

check all belts, lights, and fittings

add BG fuel system cleaner

What do you all think should i look somewhere else? Do it myself? or just get it done with?

I got quoted $538 for the following...

Engine oil and filter

service cooling system

service transmission oil

service differential oil

air filter

rotate and balance tires

clean gas fuel injectors

and a bunch of inspect and adjust items.

Any idea if clean gas fuel injectors is required or if any other item isn't imp?

Didn't have the time to do it myself this time.

I ended up paying arnd $420 after excluding the fuel injector cleaning.

Any suggestions on a good inector cleaner additive?

I would highly recommend changing tranny/diff fluid. Just had mine done at 39K miles with castrol semi-synthetic. Gear shifts are so much smoother. The magnetic plug had some minor shaving in it. I'm very happy I did it.

• 2 months later...

Alright guys, it's been 10 months and 30k miles on ye old Subie. I'm planning on spending Saturday and doing the 30k service on my 2.5i 5-Speed Outback. Keep in mind I probably fall into the 'severe driving' catagory.

I plan on going to Subaru for the parts/supplies, unless you guys can fill me in on other (better and/or cheaper) alternatives

Mandatory List...

-Oil/Filter

-Coolant

-Air Filter

-Plat Plugs

Maybe these too, but I'm a n00b (however technically saavy)...

-Brake Fluid

-Front Rear Diff

I plan on going to Subaru for the parts/supplies, unless you guys can fill me in on other (better and/or cheaper) alternatives

Good luck with that. The 30k change took me a couple days and I had the car on jackstands, and I needed a better torque wrench and a custom torch bit.

NGK plugs are standard, I don't think there's getting around that.

Fluid is DOT-3, pretty standard

• 1 year later...
I just got quoted $480 + Tax from Burlington Subaru in Vermont. I called a couple other dealerships and one would do it for $370...when I told Burlington Subaru about it they said that the other dealership doesn't do everything neccessary for the warranty....I thought this was a little fishy because the quote came from another Subaru Dealership.....what are your thoughts?

Nothing but doing the suggested services. There is no warranty service and non-warranty service. If they're a dealership, and you're paying $$$ for them to do a service, and your paperwork says it was said service, you have nothing to fear. :) It's all scare tactics. What is the other Subaru dealers name? I would call them and tell them specifically that Burlington is telling you they do non-warranty work and you are concerned about bringing your vehicle in. See what they say... I guarantee they'll have some choice words... such as slander. ;)
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

On second thought... you got a name for the guy at Burlington that told you the other shop doesn't do warranty worthy services? I'd like to make the follow up phone call if you'd let me. ;) I think a quick call to the GM at your second dealership with the better quote would like to know that customers are being told by Burlington Subaru that his shop does not do warranty capable work. :)

EDIT: Just saw your post. :mad: That's bullshit and I guarantee it's cause you're a woman they said that. If you want, get me some names of who said what and I'd be glad to make some phone calls. :) I hate this shit they pull...

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Well I was told by two different service guys....the first was Kenyon and the second was Seth. I just don't see how Saint J's 30,000 service would be any different from Burlington Subaru....a 30,000 service is a 30,000 service!

Any suggestions on a good inector cleaner additive?

I know it's not the most expensive stuff out there, but I SWEAR by Gumout products.

Mandatory List...

-Oil/Filter

-Coolant

-Air Filter

-Plat Plugs

Maybe these too, but I'm a n00b (however technically saavy)...

-Brake Fluid

-Front Rear Diff

NAPA. Way cheaper. Oil and filter don't have to be Subaru OEM. Get a K&N drop in filter and never replace it again (As long as you oil it every 100,000 miles). The K&N drop in panel filter also has a million mile warrantee. If you want to do a radiator flush, do the flush, then fill it up. If you want to use Subaru coolant you can, but there are many off the shelf alternatives that work just as good. Stick with Bosch or NGK Iridium plugs. I believe the OEM plugs are NGK Iridiums. DOT 4 brake fluid will work no problem, you can buy this at Wal-Mart. you just have to top it off if needed, it's not like ti leaks out (If it did you'd know it), and there is no practical way to flush it. GL-5 80 or 90 weight gear oil should work in the differential, but I could be mistaken on that.

All in all this will save you at least $75 seeing as how Subaru gets these parts from other manufacturers with Subaru logos all over them (It's called "Private Labelling"), then marks up the price (Since it's a Genuine Subaru part now :icon_redf) and sells them to people who think they're getting something special. The K&N filter will be about $50. A regular paper filter will be $10-15. The K&N increases airflow and lasts virtually forever.

Well I was told by two different service guys....the first was Kenyon and the second was Seth. I just don't see how Saint J's 30,000 service would be any different from Burlington Subaru....a 30,000 service is a 30,000 service!

So they both are from Burlington and said that Saint J's service does not do warranty worthy work? As in, if Saint J's does the service your warranty won't be covered since they don't do all the work needed? Just trying to get clarification is all. That is some shaddy business if so.

So they both are from Burlington and said that Saint J's service does not do warranty worthy work? As in, if Saint J's does the service your warranty won't be covered since they don't do all the work needed? Just trying to get clarification is all. That is some shaddy business if so.

Yeah thats what they told me. I'll make the extra trip to St. J if it's going to save me over a 100 bucks!

I truely would call Saint J's and ask to speak to a manager. I would then quote word for word what Burlington said. See what they say. That's just a messed up approach by Burlington. If you want, call Burlington and ask to speak to a Manager and tell them what their employees are saying.

I looked up both of those places and they are both Subaru of NE dealers. Not sure what they're thinking saying that to you besides hoping to cash in on someone they believe is not fully informed.

Go back and tell them it's against the law to do that. A manufacturer is NOT allowed to discriminate against who maitenence is performed by, or by the aftermarket manufacturer of fluids/parts. They can refuse the warrantee only if the work performed, or the parts installed DIRECTLY caused the damage to the vehicle. You can rebuild your own engine if you want, and if it blows up through no fault of your own they still have to fix it. Trust me, I've had my share of battles over blown transmissions with dealerships.

If they were allowed to do that, every manufacturer would say that your warrantee is void by having anyone else other than them open the hood. Dealerships would be able to force their customers back to them for everything from parts, to maintenance to service, which isn't right.

+1 I would like to make an example of Burlington. They, and the other NE dealer, need to know that this is how their employees are representing their business. The only way we stop them from continuing to pull shit like this is bringing it to light. :)

• 1 month later...

Spark plugs are not done nor needed at 30k. Did they change the transmission fluid like they should?

Also your timing is adjusted when they take off the timing belt. Then it will be incorrectly adjusted.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Archived