LegacyGT.com

Guide to the 30,000 mile service

Just got quoted at $398.75, and I was sent a 10% off coupon so I'm happy! They said the MT takes the most time to check? Are they going to check the clutch, it doesn't slip but maybe they'll find something wrong and replace it (crosses fingers)

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WOW, my 15K was $289.99, and that included oil change, tranny oil change, air filter, grease, fuel cleaner, inspections etc..... Carr Subaru in portland (though they didnt fill my tank, but considering thats up to $45 I dont blame them). I can find the complete further list of things they changed and inspected/rotated.

Trying to schedule my 30k service. I called my dealer and they said around $550. I had them fax me an itemized list of the service with prices. This is what I got back...

Oil Change 26.35

Trans Flush+Fill 79.95

Diff Service 79.95

Coolant Flush 72.95

Rotate+Balance 29.95

Air filter, Fuel Filter, PCV 145.00

Spark Plugs 120.00

Battery Service 45.00

Safety Inspection 39.95

-------------------------------------------

Total 639.10

I know spark plugs don't need to be done. Battery service I could have done for free at Pepboys or Autozone. I think I'll refuse the air filter, fuel filter, and pcv (i'm putting in K&N panel filter soon, i heard fuel filter doesn't need to be done, and not sure about pcv - any comments?)

Getting rid of those three items brings me down to $329.10.

Think I'd want to add replacing brake fluid replacing the cabin air cleaner (don't have the access kit so it'd be hefty in labor) and possibly the tranny filter. Guessing that'd be another $200+.

Thanks to the info in this thread I was a little educated and planned to do some calling around to get quotes on 30K service in Chicagoland.

I just bought my Subie, my first, last week - '05 LGT Wagon 5EAT.

I knew going in that the plugs don't need to be changed until 60K and the fuel filter doesn't need to be replaced.

Subaru in Countryside quoted $569 including brake fluid, coolant, oil & filter, air filter, tire rotation, plugs, diff & trans, fuel filer, replace drive belt & free loaner.

I got quoted $545 by Mason Subaru which is nearer to my home. After talking to service advisor he agreed the plugs don't need to be chaged, ditto with fuel filter. Got him down to $450-$460 with free loaner.

I pick the car up tomorrow. Love my new LGT!

Bought L7 badges yesterday and am looking to do a cubby stereo install.

just had service done at Emich Subaru in Tucson. Oil and filter, coolant replacement, brake fluid replacement, change air filter. Rotate and balance was omitted because I just bought BBS RGRs and Goodyear Gs-D3s for baby. Also did fan relay recall fix at the same time and fixed (at least for now) a couple of interior rattles. Total charge OTD 273.46! :lol: :lol: :lol::wub:
You're just jealous that the Voices talk to Me. :cool:

If you are in the Sacramento, CA area, or even in the S.F. Bay Area, I suggest you consider contacting Barsotti's Auro Care in Newcastle for service. They specialize in Subarus and do great work. Best of all, you don't end up with that "I just got the shaft" feeling. Steve Barsotti did the 30K service on my '05 GT last week and the total cost was under $275.00. To be fair, I should mention that I changed the oil and filter, but he performed all other items required for the 30K service.

Oh, that price also included his installing new stainless steel brake lines and synthetic brake fluid, items I supplied. This is the 2nd Subaru he's worked on for me and I've always been very pleased with his work. Plus, he races them - ask him about his adventures setting up a Subaru for runs at Bonneville.

I just did:

- Brake Fluid

- Trans Fluid

- Rear Diff Fluid

- Engine Oil/Filter

- Air Filter

- Coolant Flush

Took 8 hours and about $100 worth of (synthetic) fluids and tools. I feel accomplished :)

One thing I will say: The first page of this thread says it is not entirely needed to replace the transmission fluid. My magnetic bolt had TONS of metal shavings, so I would recommend replacing that gunk during your 30k.

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

i heard fuel filter doesn't need to be done, and not sure about pcv - any comments?)

Yeah, it's an integral in-tank filter Subaru is guaranteeing for the life of the car. If you want to get that done, you might want to ask them if they are really planning to pull the fuel pump assembly out of the tank because they may just list it since earlier cars have an external one.

That said, I sincerely doubt a fuel filter would ever last that long. If they are going to do it, I would have it done.

Are you really supposed to change the brake fluid???

I don't remember reading that in the manual.

If so, can someone point me to a tutorial on how to do this?

My other car is a 1993 Chevy S-10 Tahoe! (Currently being driven to failure by my nephew)

That said, I sincerely doubt a fuel filter would ever last that long. If they are going to do it, I would have it done.

According to my manual, Subaru recommends replacement at 120k miles.

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

I'm getting near my 30 K....

I have a K & N and have a mobile oil change come to my house to replace my Mobil 1 and oil filter.

I'm going to AAMCO to get their Power Purge (flush) of the trans. It is like 100$ and is free for life there after. You just pay for the replacement filter every other year there after.

My Wife's Forrester XT has 70K with stock plugs and runs just fine (my old Infiniti I30 didn't have the factory plugs changed until 110K without a problem). In fact... at 60K they want to charge me over 800$ for a tune up which I never had done because it never needed it!

The shavings thingg is scary since I'm running Stage II, and with 80 extra Lbs/Torque... there could be a little extra stress on the drivetrain. But not bringing car into "Stealership" for 30K!

• 2 weeks later...

Just had my 30K service done on Saturday...

Brake Fluid

Coolant Flush

Differential Service

Oil Change

ATF Flush

Rotate + Balance Tires

Routine inspection (brakes, belts, etc.)

$415 after quote of 375. Kinda expensive but didn't have the time to do it on my own.

For anyone with an AT, be sur eyou get the ATF flush. Makes a world of difference in shifting...its way smoother now. Overall, car feels like its running a whole lot better than it was.

• 4 weeks later...
^ What synthetic fluids did you use?

The metal shavings are why I think it should be mandatory to change up the AT filter.

Hey Vinny,

There is no transmission filter on the manual....

and the manual doesn't say to change the fluids in the tranny, only inspections.

You feel we should do it at 30k anyways.

Also PCV... I had one on my mustang but could never find it.

It is some sort of valve... I guess it gets stuck with age?

Is this somethign to look for, worry about, or something they will inspect?

Just wondering if I do not ask them to replace it if it will give me problems...

Where is it on the LGT?

I think that about covers all my questions..

Hey Vinny,

There is no transmission filter on the manual....

and the manual doesn't say to change the fluids in the tranny, only inspections.

You feel we should do it at 30k anyways.

Also PCV... I had one on my mustang but could never find it.

It is some sort of valve... I guess it gets stuck with age?

Is this somethign to look for, worry about, or something they will inspect?

Just wondering if I do not ask them to replace it if it will give me problems...

Where is it on the LGT?

I think that about covers all my questions..

Changing the filter on an AT is one of the best things you can do. The MT is not nearly as a complicated device as the AT.

Don't know re: PCV.

I think the PCV is under the intake manifold.

Yeah.. I've only seen it mentioned a few times...not something too many people worry about...

Well I'm going down the street to see if my local store carries the Redline Gear oil.

Wondering if Subaru will take off a few bucks to credit the oil....

Well I stopped by my local Subaru dealership here in Sacramento, CA and asked for a quote on some service items.

I thought if I just asked for the specific things I wanted done and skipped things I've already done for myself like tire rotation, oil & filter change, and cabin filter, it would be a little less than just asking for the 30k service.

Plus it lets them know you understand what's going on and you're not just askign for anything and everything.

Here is my list and the cost for each.

Oh and as for fluid types my dealership said they use "MOC full synthetic fluids for everything so I'm getting a higher performance fluid." I've never heard of this and can't find any info on this stuff. Can someone please help with that.

1. Brake Flus $116.95

2. Engine Coolant Flush $129.95

3. Front Diff/Transmision Fluid Change $149.95

4. Rear Diff Fluid Chnage $149.95

5. Four Wheel Alignment $59.95

Inspect:

1. Cam Shaft Drive Belt

2. Coolant system hoses and connections

3. Fuel System connections in engine bay

4. Axle Boots and shafts

5. Brake linings and rotors

6. Inspect mechanical clutch operation