LegacyGT.com

Guide to the 30,000 mile service

ahh, who cares about Subaru scheduled maintenance?? I mean come on.. work needing to be done at freakin 30,000 miles?? Other then changing the oil regularly, and the air filter, a car shouldnt need any maintenance that soon. If it does the cars not worth 30,000 big ones. Just there way to get more money. Save your money for go fast parts!!

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

let's see...

Over the years dealers and independent shops have:

-left door open so battery was dead when I picked up car.

-left sparker for welder sitting on the valve cover.

-did not change oil when car was in for oil change (had marked filter)

-could not fix clutch squeak, they heard it and said "that's just how it is"

I am 100% behind doing as much as you can yourself. If you aren't comfortable/have the time to do it, at least investigate the issue... Take pictures, record sound/video, ask questions online/search, then bring it to dealer/shop with as much information as possible.

And go over the car in the dealer/shop lot before leaving.

I think scheduled stuff is a bit of a sham, especially now when dealers have their own specs. Honda seems to be the worst at this. Wanted to replace my parents CR-V spark plugs at 15K! If you want the work done, ask around at various dealers and independent shops first.

Every weekend I knock out more items from the 30K service myself. All that is left is the coolant and brake fluid change. While I do that, I think i'll change the front springs for the Ksports to my 8kg. I swear my neighbors must think I have a shit car since I'm always working on it....lol. Still faster than theirs....

BTW...how do you dispose of used antifreeze...? What is best to use with the Subaru Coolant Conditioner?

"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

The numbers in the manual are just recommendations. They are designed for average drivers. I don't think many of the people on the site are average drivers. Opie has a good point we should be using the Severe duty shedule. This not to say the dealer has to do it, but it should be done.

If you can afford College, you probably don't need to go.

• 2 weeks later...
The numbers in the manual are just recommendations. They are designed for average drivers. I don't think many of the people on the site are average drivers. Opie has a good point we should be using the Severe duty shedule. This not to say the dealer has to do it, but it should be done.

So the severe schedule would mean MORE service visits?

Where is this severe schedule referenced?

[Things the stealer actually needs to do/replace:

1) Change Brake Fluid

2) Flush/Replace Coolant

3) Oil/Filter Change

4) Replace Air Filter

5) Rotate Tires

Things the stealer needs to look at and check (don't let them charge more than 0.5 hours for this at the very most):

1) Inspect camshaft belt

2) Inspect cooling system hoses and connections

3) Look at fuel system connections (only possible in engine compartment)

4) Inspect gear/differential oil

5) Inspect Axle Boots, Axle Shafts

6) Inspect brake linings and rotors

7) Inspect clutch operation (actually a mechanical check done with the master cylinder for clutch

8) Inspect Automatic transmission fluid (for 5EAT)

Things the dealer does not need to do/ cannot do:

1) Change fuel filter:

the fuel filter is a part of the fuel pump in LGT's located under the rear passenger seat. It cannot be replaced easily, and is not meant to be.

2) Replace spark plugs.

The LGT has the iridium plugs that need to be changed every 60,000 miles. The service guide on mysubaru etc. will say to change at 30,000, but the service manual and the plug manufacturer recommends 60,000. 2.5i's need them changed at 30,000 miles.

3) Replace Differential fluids:

Differential fluid does not need to be replaced at 30,000 miles. You can do it if you like, but it's like throwing out milk that hasn't gone bad yet just because it might go bad in a couple of weeks

any walk through for these?

1) Change Brake Fluid

2) Flush/Replace Coolant

I really don't get how the fuel filter and differential fluids are not meant to be changed @ 30,000 miles?? can you explain it more??

Perrin BIG maf intake

Perrin Turbo Inlet

HKS SSQV BOV

Megan Racing header with UP (ceramic coated)

HKS DP (WRX)

DMH E-cutout

Custom 3" catback

UTEC

Quick answer is that the fuel filter is not meant to be replaced at all on the LGT. It's built into the fuel pump, so to replace the fuel filter requires replacement of the entire fuel pump assembly. You can do it, but it will cost you hundreds of dollars.

As for the differential oil, the oil itself isn't going to be bad at 30K, meaning that it still has sufficient lubricating properties to protect the diff.

On the down side, as people have mentioned, the time between 0K and 30K is when you're most likely to get metal shavings etc. in the oil so many feel it is a good idea to change the diff fluid.

Hope that helps.

Look for "vacation pix" for the remaining issues.

Well from Rocky Mountain Subaru in Grand Junction, Colorado the 30,000 mile maintenance is $433.80. Includes a Maintenance inspection, oil change, rotate tires, air filter, trany service, rear diff for manual, drain and refill coolant, fuel filter, brake fluid. The price goes down if you can do some of theses things on your own, which are very easy to most of the parts.

Quick answer is that the fuel filter is not meant to be replaced at all on the LGT. It's built into the fuel pump, so to replace the fuel filter requires replacement of the entire fuel pump assembly. You can do it, but it will cost you hundreds of dollars.

The dealer wanted to do this for my 15,000 mi. service. It's not supposed to be replaced at all?

EDIT: Nevermind, it looks like (after a quick search) that everybody here agrees with you. Why would the dealer even want to take apart the fuel pump?

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

Replace spark plugs ........................................$88.16

Auto trans service which includes front diff......$49.95

Rear diff service................................................$39.95

Replace coolant................................................$43.71

Replace brake fluid...........................................$111.26

Replace fuel filter..............................................$73.40

All prices are for a previous generation naturally aspirated Outback performed at a Subaru dealer. Prices were consistant within a couple of bucks of the last time they were done at 30,000 miles a couple of years ago. Price are for parts and labor and do not include tax, shop supply fees and environmental fees.

It is still ugly.

I have always bought service manuals for every other car that I have owned, does anyone know if there is a service manual available for the general public? My google search has turned up empty.

ahh, who cares about Subaru scheduled maintenance?? I mean come on.. work needing to be done at freakin 30,000 miles?? Other then changing the oil regularly, and the air filter, a car shouldnt need any maintenance that soon. If it does the cars not worth 30,000 big ones. Just there way to get more money. Save your money for go fast parts!!

I'm a newbie on this site but a veteran of NICO. I got my J30 to 185k with no problems whatsoever by performing aggressive PM and the tranny on that car is notoriously weak as it was lifted from the na 300Z and put into a car that weighs 500 more pounds. The initial 30k is the crucial time frame in which the diff, tranny and engine are still shedding filings. Remember, the dealer wants to see you back shopping for a replacement car in a few years so even the dealer recommended maintenance is on the light side. Many of the things are DIY and kind of fun. Nothing like ripping around a twisty mountain road knowing that the synthetic diff oil was put in properly by someone who cares.:icon_cool

BTW, I only replaced the J because she was 11 years old and was developing a personality. I don't care to keep extra cars around but, if I did, I would have kept her.

replacing coolant is diff from flushing the coolant. so thats going to be more expensive then $44. a 60k is a repeat of a 30k except they should be checking your t-belt. a 30k is not a repeat of a 15k a 45k is a repeat of a 15k.

i changed my diff fluids to synthetic at 2k i know it was over kill but my tech did it for free because he was doing his car and had a lot left over.

our 30k is $499.95 for automatics and about a$100 cheaper for a manual.

it includes:

LOF - $27.95

Rotate and balance tires - $44.95

a/c and heating system performance test- $

replace air filter - $30

Battery load test and cable end service -$

StartAmp Draw test and charging syst load test - $

Service rear diff - $79.95

Service front diff - $79.95

Service awd transfer case -$

Auto trans flush - $139.95

Chemical coolant flush - $99.95

Inspect and top off fluids - $

Set tire pressure - $

Multipoint power train inspection - $

and inspect:

-front brake pads, discs, rotors, calipers, hoses

-rear brake pads or shoes, discs or drums, calipers, hoses

-engine cooling system

-pwr steering system

-exhaust system

-visual check for fluid leaks

-driveline

-engine and tranny mounts

-suspension system

-parking brake linings and cable

-lights for proper operation

-wiper blades

-vin# scan for open safety recalls

the ones i have there with no prices are the ones i dont have a price for a la carte.

oils are for a lack of a better term oil. they are going to break down. if your so concerned about changing you motor oil ever 3-4k then why neglect your tranny or diff's even your brake fluid...

hope this helps guys...

the chem coolant flush will probably damage the cooling system and block and in any event wouldn't be needed in a car with that low mileage;

the atf needs only be inspected, refresh as needed;

the diff etc lubes can go longer;

why no brake fluid change listed?

you (service) guys need to read the effing manual

Replace spark plugs ........................................$88.16

Auto trans service which includes front diff......$49.95

Rear diff service................................................$39.95

Replace coolant................................................$43.71

Replace brake fluid...........................................$111.26

Replace fuel filter..............................................$73.40

All prices are for a previous generation naturally aspirated Outback performed at a Subaru dealer. Prices were consistant within a couple of bucks of the last time they were done at 30,000 miles a couple of years ago. Prices are for parts and labor and do not include tax, shop supply fees and environmental fees.

Asked a few more questions of the service writer. The auto trans service consists of draining what will come out and replacing said amount (about 4 quarts). New crush washer on the plug and no filter change. Said the only time they change auto trans filter is if they're leaking. Hmmmm. Same with both front and rear diffs, simple drain, top off and new washer.

It is still ugly.

The online (my.subaru.com) information for "Subaru's", not the dealer's, maintenance details on the 30K mile service, includes this:

Recommended Performance

Replace fuel filter and inspect fuel system, hoses and connections

So the concensus in this thread is that the fuel filter is not supposed to be replaced. So what gives on the recommended performance?

• 5 weeks later...

Archived