LegacyGT.com

Guide to the 30,000 mile service

Ok, after re-reading this, I've confused myself all over again. :lol:

I have an '05 GT MT. When I went in for my 30k (almost all highway/cruising) the local Subbie performance shop was a great help. Looked at the brake fluid and it was fine. Replaced the rear diff fluid (I believe that's the correct term since it was located underneath the car at the rear) though. Is there a front diff fluid as well? Somehow I became confused rereading this. :redface: I'm also reading about trans fluid, but that's AT only correct? :confused: Engine coolant needs replacing too? There seem to be sooo many opinions on the 30k I'm just getting lost on what should and should not be touched...

Now I'm at 45k and going to get the brake fluid replaced with synthetic along with new pads and stainless steel lines. :D

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have 27K... so I will be doing a trans purge from AAMCO with filter.

My last car.... and Infiniti I30 that I bought 4 years old with 33K on it... that I had until trading it in with 187K on it... that I don't think I ever changed the brake fluid... that I think I flush the radiator ONCE.... why do I need to do all this so soon? My I30 ran like new with almost 200K on it. I started running Mobil1 at 1,000 miles. I don't mind doing preventative maintenance... as long as it is worhtwhile maintenance. Not cheap... but why change something if it really doesn't need to be changed.... why not change the trans fluid annually instead????

I have 27K... so I will be doing a trans purge from AAMCO with filter.

My last car.... and Infiniti I30 that I bought 4 years old with 33K on it... that I had until trading it in with 187K on it... that I don't think I ever changed the brake fluid... that I think I flush the radiator ONCE.... why do I need to do all this so soon? My I30 ran like new with almost 200K on it. I started running Mobil1 at 1,000 miles. I don't mind doing preventative maintenance... as long as it is worhtwhile maintenance. Not cheap... but why change something if it really doesn't need to be changed.... why not change the trans fluid annually instead????

Subiedude,

You must remember. You are in a car enthusiasts forum. People here are NUTS.

This will shock some people but I would be money that about 95% of the entire world DOES not follow the recommended maint. schedule on their car.

That doesn't mean that all those cars are going to crap out at 75k miles. It just means they don't follow the maint.

I'll be honest I rarely do much on the Isuzu Rode I have. I only paid $2500 for it and I don't pour much into it besides regular oil changes.

My Spec B... I am a religous freak when it comes to maint. and service. I do most of it myself and the subaru is so easy to work on it makes it fun.

If you follow the manual it might not say to change front and rear diff at 30k but most people around here like to do it. First good change, maybe switch to synthetic, get the initial metal shavings out of the diff and tranny, etc ,etc.

Plus there are different scheduleds, normal, severe driving, etc etc.

I plan on keeping my car for a LONG time so I'd rather more rather than less.

If I do the 30k diff change in front and rear and change to synthetic I might leave it in there for a while......

All my other fluids look perfect but I think changing them when the mfg. suggests will keep them running at top performance.

Now putting synthetic brake fluid in along with new pads and stainless lines....that I haven't thought of.....

If i'm doing that I'll just put teh cross drilled rotors on....better wait until these rotors are gone..... then do it all at once....

2006SpecB122:

I totally agree with you. There are somethings I will do myself, and some I will leaves to others. STS charged us around 230 to change plugs and clean throttlebody on my Wife's Forrester XT (She has around 72K on it already). If I did it... it might take forever to get to. I will get the 5EAT fluid changed next mionth. I have read a lot of L GT's shifting better after initial change.

Any thoughts on if it is better to change the trans filter at 30K or 60K. Having 80 more LBS Torque then stock scares me when it comes to the 5EAT.....

AAMCO has a annual power purge deal for 99$. Can beat that.

Really.... will change at 30K

You pay once for life for the power pruge... .

http://www.aamco.com/transmissions/fluid_change-maintenance.html#AAMCO_Power_Purge®_Transmission_Flush*

Then filter is 50$ everytime it gets changed (every 60K miles).

On a seperate note.... STS tried to change my Wife's Forester XT's spark plugs... and said it would cost like 235. Then they told us that you have to lower the motor to get to the plugs, which requires a special lift that they don't have... so they didn't change us anything for that. They did tell us that She has Platium plugs which shouldn't need service until She hits 100K miles. They said only the Forrester had that problem. Anybody know anything about that?

I am confused. I m in Canada. I have a 2.5i.

The maintenance schedule here looks like it's a bit different! In fact the dealership is freaking out about my last maintenance that i haven't done yet.

Details: I am at 28000 KMS. The service at 24000 KMS says they will do the following:

1. Cabin Air Filter

2. Oil Filter replacement

3. Cabin Air filter Replacement

4. Brake inspection

5. Tire Rotation

The total price is $400! I am wondering if i really need to do all this stuff. Some of the items above are supposed to be done in the 30K miles/48K KMS according to http://www.cars101.com/subaru/subaru_maintenance.html

1) I change my Mobil1 every 5,000 Miles along with oil filter.

2) I rotate the wheels every 15,000 miles (who invented 5,000 miles, and what is there logic behind it?).

3) The in cablin air filter (easy to change yourself) can be purchased at the dealer. Takes less then 30 minutes, and saves you probably 1 hour dealer labor, and 3 hours of waiting!

4) I have aK & N air filter which gets cleaned every year... although I do shake it out every month. Little cost there.

I have 28,500 Miles and the car hasn't been to the dealership yet!

I am confused. I m in Canada. I have a 2.5i.

The maintenance schedule here looks like it's a bit different! In fact the dealership is freaking out about my last maintenance that i haven't done yet.

Details: I am at 28000 KMS. The service at 24000 KMS says they will do the following:

1. Cabin Air Filter

Engine air filter you can do yourself...probably time to check, clean or replace, depends on which brand you use...

2. Oil Filter replacement

You should already have a fumoto oil valve and change this yourself every tiem it is needed

3. Cabin Air filter Replacement

The cabin air filter is easy on the 06...takes about 10 minutes.

Go to Walmart and by a 1" thick furnace filter. You can usually get 6 or more squares out of it. After you pull the filter cut a replacement to size.

Should cost you less than 8 bucks to do the entire job in 10 minutes.

4. Brake inspection

Sure they can inspect your brakes... some places will do this for free but I don't trust everyone...

5. Tire Rotation

I have my tire place (america's tire) rotate as often as I can get over there for an hour...

The total price is $400! I am wondering if i really need to do all this stuff. Some of the items above are supposed to be done in the 30K miles/48K KMS according to http://www.cars101.com/subaru/subaru_maintenance.html

Whatever you do ....you don't owe them 400 bucks that's for sure...

inspection time is less than one hour for all the stuff they need to "INSPECT"

lots of the other stuff you can do for next to nothing.....

Check around here for walkthroughs and other stuff it's easier than I thought!!!

this is depressing.. I really dont have time to be without my car for an extended period of time. I was told from the dealership in augusta (not naming any names but THE subaru dealer in augusta ga) wants $625 to "remove the engine" to change the spark plugs.. he had never heard of irridium or knew anything about it. He said the "30k service" was an oil change, tire rotation, air filter, and spark plugs and thats it.. no mention of this other stuff...

The only other choice is to drive an hour to gwinett.. land of the worst drivers in GA and risk my life to get my car done at SoG who MIGHT know half of what they're doing.. this makes me want to buy another car.. :(

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

1) The spark plugs do not need to be changed at 30,000 miles... I I believe my dealer checked them at 30,000 however...

If he never heard of irridium spark plugs, that should warrant a call from you to SOA. The engine certainly does not need to be removed to change the spark plugs. Just think of all the other shit they will mess up doing that.

Yeah, I can't imagine it.. it's like a pair of monkey's trained to eat apples instead of bananas.

I did my front and rear diff today... went pretty well...

Starting the coolant job now.. :)

Subaru conditioner... CHECK

Red Line Watter Wetter..... CHECK

Peak Global Long Life.....CHECK

Distilled Water from Walmart for 64 cents....CHECK

wish me luck!

I went to subaru of gwinnett yesterday to have mine done, $445 and they did everything on the list.. they seemed embarassed by the other dealers complete lack of knowlege. Its an hour drive for me to go there but its worth it. They're friendly and knowledgeable out there and got the service done quickly. Car runs smoother and so far the problems it was having seem to be gone... also a friend of mine test drove a WRX and is now hooked on the idea of having a subie himself :p
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

• 3 months later...

I got quoted $538 for the following...

Engine oil and filter

service cooling system

service transmission oil

service differential oil

air filter

rotate and balance tires

clean gas fuel injectors

and a bunch of inspect and adjust items.

Any idea if clean gas fuel injectors is required or if any other item isn't imp?

Hey Madcheeku,

I'm just a newbie when it comes to Subaru.

(Born in January 2006)

But its always cheaper if you can do it yourself.

Here is my personal preference.

Engine Oil Filter (do it yourself, cost around $14, you know it is done right)

Cooling System (I drained and filled it myself, $15 for watter wetter, anti freeze, and $2 for distilled water from walmart.)

Transmission and Differential (used Redline stuff) did it myself. Its as simple as changing your oil and my subaru service dept. wanted like 300 for the service!

I bought the good stuff all synthetic redline and it cust me under 50 bucks.

Air Filter (you should already have something like AVO panel, or K&N in there.

Do it yourself.

Rotate and Balance tires (I don't have a balance machien so can't do this myself. I bought my tires at America's Tire co. and bought the lifetime balance and rotate with my tires. I take it in every 5,000 miles for a balance and rotation.)

Clean gas fuel injectors. (I only use chevron with techron. That shoudl keep it clean. No cheap gas here. Plus I put a bottle of concentrated injector cleaner in the gas every 6 months or so)

Inspect and Adjust....everything looks good to me. But the other thing I wanted to do in my 30k service was change the brake fluid which i don't want to do myself. If I have subaru do it then I'll ask them to spend .5 hours inspecting and adjusting things like clutch and stuff if need be........

Hope that helps!

Archived