LegacyGT.com

05 legacy gt stumble/hard on gas no codes

The last turbo car I'll ever own... The turbo just blew broke in half exhaust side was a wreck and intake side was ok so no metal shavings.. my coolant tank on top of the turbo one pipe broke so it starved of coolant... But now dropped my mellet one in and these codes makes it look like the damn banjo filters and I right?? Ffs

Screenshot_20240110-024500.png

Did you remove the filters when you installed the used engine?

Do you know the condition of the used engine?

Those codes mean certain doom for the turbo (which is now gone) and potential doom for the motor too. You need to remove all 3 screens, flush the motor multiple times, and cross your fingers.

That is not a 'turbo car' problem, it's an old car problem.

@rhino6303 is right.

Best case scenario, you pull filters, clean OCVs and replace the oil cooler and flush the everloving crap outta your "new" engine. Low percentage chance it survives to boost on again.

Worst case scenario, you already trashed it, so you're on the lookout for another EJ now.

One each in the actual OCVs themselves, where the oil feed line goes through a banjo and into the solenoid.

Or maybe only one side has a screen, but I don't recall. I pulled all the easy ones a long time ago, and finally pulled the one out from behind the timing cover last year after spending a day grinding the nut down with a dremel.

170k kms on the engine should be 'new' enough if well taken care of to have some life in it still. Did you dump the oil yet, or cut open the filter to look for junk. If you find much of anything after destroying the turbo, it's rebuild time.

• Like 1

Some years have them for each OCV feed whole some only had it on one ocv. I recall the easy way to tell if there is a filter is if the banjo bolt has a hump on it. Hump is filtered, flat is not. Locations to check:

1. Turbo oil feed line

2. Passenger (right) OCV (easy)

3. Driver (left) OCV (difficult)-behind timing cover

Link for walkthrough:

Edited by rhino6303
added link
  • Like 1

Delete isn't a great idea unless you put an auxiliary oil cooler in somewhere else. The OE one serves to help warm up fluids when cold and cool when oil is hot. It's there for a reason.

Get an OE one off of Ebay, like 1/3 the cost of going through a dealer.

Temporary delete this time of would be fine, I would think, assuming you're having as warm of a winter out East as we are here.

• Like 1

Dude, I would start by dropping the oil, then pan and cutting up the filter. If you see stuff that's bigger than glitter, it's probably already game over. You'd be throwing good money after bad.

Diesel would be fine to flush, cheaper than kero I assume. If you really want to give this thing the best chance it has to survive, you should at least consider pulling the heads and cleaning them, or having them cleaned and hot tanked. It's the maze of passages there that are probably going to hold debris and screw you over. Clean (or have cleaned) the AVCS gears as well. (Cam phasers, whatever you want to call them.)

This shouldn't cost you more than a set of headgaskets and your time. If you have an engine stand you can work on,  you should be able to get the rest of the engine as clean as possible by pulling the pan and running cleaner through all the oil passages, followed with compressed air, assuming you have a compressor.

Even after all that I would very seriously consider something like a 1 minute run with the cheapest oil you can get, then dump + change the filter. (x repeat)

All that is more time and money, but not tonnes, and it is a lot less than trying to source a new block, plus you'd end up with fresh head gaskets etc....

Given that it's winter in Canada, I think you'll be fine without the oil cooler until the Spring. You've got bigger fish to fry than right now. Save the money.

• Like 1

Flushed the engine like 5 times, cooler removed.  cost me a bit but don't see much in the oil now , runs ok but misfire cyl 1/2/3 maybe I messed up some wires by unplugging removing most of it, put new plug n coils 

Pressure test on fuel lines is as easy as putting in a tee and a pressure gauge, even one borrow from a compressor or whatever. Fuel pressure should be around 40 psi.

Failing fuel pump/clogged internal filter? You had problems with leaning out before yeah?

O2 sensor going bad maybe? You'll be doing damage pretty fast at afr of 20. I am 99% sure mine will run at around 12 until warmed up, then idle hovers and pretty much 14.5-7. No need for more than dead on stoichiometric burn at idle.

• Like 1

Runs like a champ but a t WOT 5k and past that it studders , changed all plugs and coils same thing and not a single code but only thing was the #4 cyl plug was rich as hell so put that new stuff in , went for a lil pill and same studder.. new code pending #4 misfire , pulled plug . It looked like it was burning great tan colour , checked voltage at connector and was good bent the coil tabs a bit, cleaned MAF . Afr 14.3 idle but runs mint other than that

But it's -19 here I was thinking maybe overboost? Can't find my vag cable , recently moved and my boost gauge hose broke so can't really know for sure. Was thinking on playing  with the wastegate since the one I got on is adjustable . Thx again

On 1/16/2024 at 8:14 PM, LegacyLGT05 said:

Good pressure so got my diy fog machine out and this is what I found lol nothing on the blue T , my first time I see it coming off the intake manifold 

IMG_20240116_210941322.jpg

Throw a couple of zip ties on those if you can reach.

Better yet, replace with a barbed ‘tee’. The blue one, I’m sure you’ve read does tent to let go, since the plastic is smooth.

Don't go WOT if you're having problems. It's a good way to blow another motor.

As to why, it sounds as if you're experiencing knock and the engine is pulling enough timing that you can feel it. You need to pull a learning view and post it for us to help with troubleshooting.

No more WOT.

• Like 1

Probably best to stay out of boost as well, if you need to get around in the meantime, and haven't diagnosed the problem correctly. *Most likely* fine to drive for the day, but you pays your money and you takes your chances.

You can change the hoses on the wastegate to allow only spring pressure to build, but your best bet is going to be stay under whatever RPM you normally start seeing boost. 3K or so for most?

Using only minimal throttle will help as target boost is of course related to pedal position....