LegacyGT.com

S402 Clone build

10 hours ago, WRX USA said:

Is that a USDM Stromung exhaust, hence why it’s sticking out on the JDM bumper?

Yes indeed. Over 10 years old and still humming-love it.

( eventually when the engine gets done I’ll add the correct exhaust )

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Decided to not go with the S402 seats-I was never a fan of the grey two-tone and could foresee sliding  around in corners like in my old GT leather seats.

I’ve had some Recaro’s ( bought pre-covid when international shipping prices were sane) that just fit the black interior better(imo) than the OEM S402s. Recaros bolted in without Recaro rails( I have lhd/rhd set if anyone needs some) and kept the cars original belts. Just need to hunt the forums for “turn off the airbag light when switching seats ect) and all should be well again in the dash.

Miss the heat and power options this time of year but I’ll take it. The Recaros are very comfortable and keep me planted in all driving conditions.

Also picked up another turbo for the winter build. My current VF51 is fine but a back-up is always a good thing. 

This month the car decided to let it’s power steering pump go, so for now the latest work is replacing it. Costly little buggers. (Subaru  OEM )

C347FFF0-3185-47D0-8777-3CC6656DACB5.jpeg

A46400CB-1799-4972-95C7-40042454C646.jpeg

4868A9A0-6247-4DCB-8001-A39D1333412C.jpeg

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, ChicagoSam said:

Decided to not go with the S402 seats-I was never a fan of the grey two-tone and could foresee sliding  around in corners like in my old GT leather seats.

I’ve had some Recaro’s ( bought pre-covid when international shipping prices were sane) that just fit the black interior better(imo) than the OEM S402s. Recaros bolted in without Recaro rails( I have lhd/rhd set if anyone needs some) and kept the cars original belts. Just need to hunt the forums for “turn off the airbag light when switching seats ect) and all should be well again in the dash.

Miss the heat and power options this time of year but I’ll take it. The Recaros are very comfortable and keep me planted in all driving conditions.

Also picked up another turbo for the winter build. My current VF51 is fine but a back-up is always a good thing. 

This month the car decided to let it’s power steering pump go, so for now the latest work is replacing it. Costly little buggers. (Subaru  OEM )

C347FFF0-3185-47D0-8777-3CC6656DACB5.jpeg

A46400CB-1799-4972-95C7-40042454C646.jpeg

4868A9A0-6247-4DCB-8001-A39D1333412C.jpeg

Are you going to replace with the tighter ratio STi steering rack?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SoobyDoobyDoo said:

Those seats are awesome!!! I’d love a recaro for my drivers seat. 

Found this a while back thought I’d share…also thanks @WRX USA for sharing that thread.

IMG_1738.jpeg

Recaro also makes universal resistor kits for side airbags. That’s what I got for my WRX

• Like 2

Found this guy in Ireland that makes occupancy seat weight sensors for the aftermarket Recaro/Sparco/Konig seats airbag prob. More expensive than the Bride option above(thanks again Sccoby) but thought it was neat there's a few options out there.

image.thumb.png.cfc8eaae70efebe4a1e27f19b8fc5d90.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ChicagoSam said:

Found this guy in Ireland that makes occupancy seat weight sensors for the aftermarket Recaro/Sparco/Konig seats airbag prob. More expensive than the Bride option above(thanks again Sccoby) but thought it was neat there's a few options out there.

image.thumb.png.cfc8eaae70efebe4a1e27f19b8fc5d90.png

This is a different part. My 2009 OBXT could have used this. I transferred the sensor from my OEM seat, along with the heated seat elements, and installed them in my STi Recaro’s that have side impact air bags.

Edited by WRX USA
  • Like 1

On 12/27/2023 at 6:33 PM, WRX USA said:

This is a different part. My 2009 OBXT could have used this. I transferred the sensor from my OEM seat, along with the heated seat elements, and installed them in my STi Recaro’s that have side impact air bags.

indeed it's a different part. So the Bride cancels the airbag op' while the one I posted keeps the airbag active/operational at all times even if there's no one in the seat( is my understanding?- I may be off of course-its all new to me)

I may be out of my wheelhouse trying to heat the Recaro's with the hem stuff as you did- that's sweet.

Edited by ChicagoSam

32 minutes ago, ChicagoSam said:

indeed it's a different part. So the Bride cancels the airbag op' while the one I posted keeps the airbag active/operational at all times even if there's no one in the seat( is my understanding?- I may be off of course-its all new to me)

I may be out of my wheelhouse trying to heat the Recaro's with the hem stuff as you did- that's sweet.

The one you posted should make the passenger dash airbag functional only when the sensor “sees” enough weight to set it off, typically 30-40 pounds. The Bride one “tricks” the airbag system into thinking that the side impact air bag in the seat is still connected. It shouldn’t defeat the airbag in the dash. 

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

New year new block. Took the heads off the S402 block and sent them out to a shop for resurfacing/port/polish ect. 
The heads will join a new STI RA block with Manley pistons/ pro-h rods and a nitride treated sti crankshaft. 
I took advantage of an IAG sale awhile back and picked up a competition series oil pickup package.( love the killerB, but the price was right for the IAG)

0668139B-71F8-408E-8710-8FDEA1B2E88D.jpeg

6F1633D5-BCC2-40A0-AC1D-F25FCECC5980.jpeg

EAA54D3A-73EE-4426-98C2-E04B2D51DCBF.jpeg

Edited by ChicagoSam
  • Like 6

GD that looks good with those wheels…love the contrast of the DGM with the raw aluminum finish. 🤌 Love the mirrors, too…you manage to source a set? It’s the small details that really make builds like this stand out. That’s the sedan I’d want…classy, but understated. 

• Thanks 1

@scoobydoobydooThank you sir- that's probably the reason for doing all this really;) just the wheels alone and I could call it a day. 

Not sure if the S402's had the silver cover's or actual complete silver mirrors. I've seen both for sale and went with the JDM folding all silver option. ( I've seen the silver cover's listed as 'S402' but have also experienced specB parts listed as 'S402' from time to time.   I probably won't go after any of the S402 rear emblems for sale out in the world either.. I too have a few 'S204' badges that I could auction and re-arrange for a premium price;/

• Like 1

@DoctorDaveLGT thanks for the #. Appreciate it!

indeed-the fenders/nose/hood will be the last piece to this puzzle(would have liked to put them in sooner but patience patience I tell myself). Car’s down for engine work so I’ll spare the new paint/nose months of shop leaning around the engine bay.

my favorite fake piece I bought years back from Japan was a grill emblem. It looked good in the pics-but the actual item didn’t really pass inspection. Much larger than the real thing. I keep learning and on it goes..

F7CB398E-8475-4809-AA14-6B54947F9C8C.jpeg

CF7ACB99-EC72-4B4A-BD84-24AE7549F053.jpeg

F1F88E89-16C6-480D-BD4E-1A0DD23EC8B9.jpeg

• Like 3

Nah, just slap it on. Paint can be fixed and it looks waaayyyy better than the USDM front.

20230815_200548.thumb.jpg.e4af14bcc3696b275bb03e3abd70c8f2.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if that's a rear emblem "reworked" to look like the grill one. Seems to be fairly common from what I see on the auctions. I've got the front emblem sitting in a box in storage until I can motivate myself to track down someone that can restore it. Even then I probably won't put it on the car as I prefer to de-badge my cars short of the manufacturer's emblems. Have a car that's good enough to make them look, but keep them guessing is my motto.

• Like 8