LegacyGT.com

Planning to purchase a fully built Legacy Gt!!

Hey y'all, I am currently looking for a legacy gt from 2005-2010 and I stumbled upon two, both of which have extensive modifications with all work done by Subaru tuning shops, both have low mileage short blocks but one is factory and the other is an iag closed deck 2.5, both have all supporting mods, trans work, suspension work, ect. Is this worth the buy if I plan to purchase a daily in addition 1 year from now?

What are the mods on each car? Was the car built in a backyard or through shops? Who tuned each car? How do they drive? Any rust or things that concern you? Any issues the owners are aware of?  With these cars getting older as long as the maintenance is kept up with they can be amazing cars with most people aware they can't buy a comparable car without spending a lot more for the same features and specs.   

Edited by tysparks81

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

Both have a short block, one is a factory ej255 with Manley internals and a vf52 turbo with full exhaust and suspension work done and stage 1 clutch and flywheel, also a spec b, 14.7 psi on external wastegate, that one will need 850cc injectors to make more power and was built by awd tuning in Dallas tx with 15k miles on build and 152k on body. The other is a closed deck iag 2.5 short block with forged internals and a arashi 60-1 turbo and fbo with much more and full fuel system and it’s basically fully done besides it could use an oil change after driving it home 800-900 miles, also has six puck clutch and turned/built by FI performance with only 8k miles on build but 162k on body. Is this worth the buy or will it blow up after a week of ownership?😂

It really depends on how the owner treated each car.   I have personally owned an lgt that I tried to make into a spec b, and now own a spec b.   Only saying that because I wish I just started in the spec b, it may not matter to you. 

Now with that being said I'm not sure why the closed deck one would choose to cheap out with the arashi turbo.   Do they make decent power yes is it one of the top 3 or even top 5 turbos anyone building a monster setup would run probably not, so that's a red flag imo.

I would ask for a compression and leak down test on both cars for piece of mind and would even offer to cover half the cost of said request to prove to the seller you are serious about buying the right car.  Benifital to the seller as they now know the condition of said built block, and you have a little more security in buying a built motor car. Also both cars are tuned on what cobb, ecutek, opensource? Is either car a 6spd?  Why are the selling built motor cars that have less than 15k miles on them?? 

Now the specb sounds like it leaves you room to enjoy the car and upgrade it when you are ready since the vf52 is a great upgrade to a stock block car, but it's now a bottle neck on a built motor car.  Will it feel fast yes, but it will definitely be a much more exciting car with bigger turbo and fueling upgrades I know this from personal experience/misfortune however you would like to categorize it lol. But I would also like to know about the suspension upgrades, what parts/bushings were used? How does it drive??? Why do they want to sell it? 

Without knowing too much about the other car, and putting aside the questionable turbo choice for a brief sec. I would want to know which specific bolt ons have been used or if any other corners where cut to get that build to where it is. I question the fueling upgrade choices and would want to know is it single feed or parallel feed, what injectors were used, is there a fpr installed? What fuel pump? Is it 6spd like the spec b or still 5spd? What suspension changes have been made and what parts are used? Also how does it drive? Why do they want to sell it? 

Hope that gives you a place to start, any built motor can blow up without the correct maintenance or by being beat on and abused. The information you get from the sellers is going to only help you make the right choice for you but there is no guarantee, some say a built motor has a rough life span of 90-100k before any major service/rebuild.  Others have gone longer and shorter as you will read from some of the horror stories on here even when built by a reputable shop. Parts are sometimes defective. Buy one, drive it enjoy it and by 50k you should be saving for a rebuild to save yourself from any catastrophic failure.  We will be there to help you wipe your tears when it happens and guide you on the best way through it all. 

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

• 3 weeks later...