LegacyGT.com

S402 Clone build

Hello- I started building an S402 clone with a 2009 specB as the base car and figured I'd share the ride.

A little history: I joined LegacyGT back in 2010 when I purchased my first LGT. It was a black '08 5eat and it served my family well for years. Thanks to this forum, I of course started to fiddle around with the car and ran it on a stage 2 tune/supporting until I sold it last year with just over 100k miles. The family runs around town in other vehicles these days and our LGT became more of a (my)project car. (I had the full intention of doing a 6-speed swap on the '08 5EAT and making it into one of my dream cars. Early last year though, I found an '09 specB in good condition- so I sold the '08)

If you own one of these cars you've probably heard of the Legacy STI S402 made exclusively for Japan( obviously everyone on this forum knows about it-just covering all the bases for any new members into the community). The S402 was the only Legacy to roll down STI's factory line- receiving all sorts of upgrades to create a limited run of 402 wagons and sedans. I always wanted to own one, and so I started to plot my demise and began to buy up S402 parts as they became available thru various auction houses, overseas friends and even eBay. As you probably know, the "Imported Safety Alliance Act" doesn't let the US import a Japanese car until it's 25 years old. Lucky me not all S402's are driven lightly and some end up in pieces which started to accumulate in my garage. 

The progress I can share has taken years to come together. I'm not necessarily doing a 1-1 clone. I pretending I bought an S402, then lightly 'modded' it to achieve its full potential. The S402's VF-51 twin scroll turbo feels like it's got a lot to give when given the right supporting characters around it (the s402's engine is an EJ255 just like our USDM ones). 

The grey car in the pic below is the specB as it came when I bought it. Hopefully it'll be a cover girl in the not too distant future..we'll see.

thumbnail_6637FA21-42CE-40E8-8E77-924168CFC0B6.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0998.jpg

2009 specB.jpeg

Edited by ChicagoSam
misspelling
  • Like 5

So far so good taking everything off the undercarriage.  There’s an apparent leak in the stock steering rack so in goes a STI 15+ rack( wasn’t planning on doing it now but it was in the general plan since the S402 used a similar ratio). Previous owners added some whiteline rod ends, look nice but I’ll probably stick with the new ones. Thanks to online videos about this installation, I’ll have to cut the ends 3-4 threads worth to fit in the Legacy. ( you can see the slight length difference below)

E737BEB0-CD6E-46F6-B8AD-76B885663A50.jpeg

7F664354-8F35-440A-9904-4EB69067B38F.jpeg

C5555E6A-A4FC-416A-9714-98BBA6DDC6CB.jpeg

• Like 1

They've also produced their own unique suspension links which replace the standard soft rubber bushings with rock-hard spherical bearings. The spherical bearings ( or pillow balls, or rose joints ) do increase ride harshness and road noise, however it's clear that STI dent believe the average S402 owner is going to care.."
https://www.drive.com.au/news/forbidden-fruit-the-jdm-only-subaru-legacy-sti-s402/

No brackets for now- any experience with them?

3 hours ago, seanyb505 said:

How is the s402 subframe different?

Also, no rsb bracket? 

I love those rotors. 

DBD1FDB3-BB5C-46E3-B314-EC256055A5CF.jpeg

Edited by ChicagoSam

Adding additional bracing to the rsb mounts usually goes hand in hand with upgraded sway bar. The steel on the subframe that the bushing straps bolt to is maybe a little thinner than required for the job. Some people have cracked that thin steel section, so for around $150 most people buy some sort of reinforcing contraption. 

It does look like the trailing arms have a different shape yeah. 

• Thanks 1

No problems so far- the calipers came with the front axel with hubs so besides new rotors,  it booted right in. Silly me I tried OEM length braided cables but they’re too short(tried to save a few bucks) so I’m running the s402 stock brake lines for now-probably get some STI steel ones down the ‘lines’.

(the brake dust shields needed alittle TLC but nothing surprising )

so it fits but I haven’t driven it yet -supply chain hiccups have a few parts on the way so it’s just puttered in and out of the garage..(no squeaky sounds yet but we’ll see how it all does next week if I get my parts. hopefully the alignment is cake as well. )

• Thanks 1

just a disclaimer- I have been able todo this project because of all the amazing detailed build threads on this site. I'm just posting a lot of more "finished" pics as I go and not detailing every step.. Happy to go back and take more pics or answer questions as I go. So far-and I'm nervous- no problems have arisen so there's not much to tell. (of course I haven't gotten into he engine yet- I'm sure my  questions will start to spill over and 'WTF's emojis)

Front suspension is all in place with the STI 15+ steering rack in. Greased all the joints-hope it’s quiet once I get it back on the road.( new whiteline ball joints in the front arms as well-probably take a few hundred miles for everything to settle in together.)

Added new wheel well liners too-hard to not want to replace every part once you get going.

10016789-7925-4A5B-854D-5D4933D0BAB8.jpeg

4D48FD21-C7C8-4BA5-B48A-01E73F927AF7.jpeg

A794BD41-C6A8-4F29-9F27-5799A2C3D7E8.jpeg

DDFF5906-1F3A-432F-99C8-589B5D675493.jpeg

• Like 3

Why is the exhaust so rusty? It’s a Stromung full exhaust from a LGT group buy from like 8-9 years ago?( Infamouse Mike organized it. ) Love the deep sound and its held up thru multiple Chicago winters( no more salty drives I say). Thanks again Mike!

• Like 1

Added an EU console as well-sorting out the ashtray. I don’t think they made the 402’s piano black ashtray option for LHD?( ever offered in the Tuned by STI version?)Even with the Macintosh center radio(stock in the pic)above the ashtray pictured, it’s not lining up-I’ll have to coat a LHD piece..

881206D0-520E-4985-AAB6-099AA1C74486.jpeg

00053E8C-DFC1-499A-A778-67627602B41E.jpeg

• Like 1

On 2/22/2023 at 7:37 AM, ChicagoSam said:

At the heart of the new suspension set up are the s402’s 3 unique bars: a Flexible tower bar(thanks Ethan Nakaya) flexible lower arm bar and a flexible floor bar for the rear.

E3254187-1D59-4E0C-A1D0-30EED356C168.jpeg

6E44757F-BBF9-4476-A6BC-8F442C7EEDAF.jpeg

Very nice!

These are supposed to work in conjunction with the front support kit: https://www.sti.jp/parts/legacytouringwagon_bp/chassis/ST20106ZR000/

6895D40E-2045-4E93-AB0E-C0E61E47A9AD.jpeg

Edited by WRX USA
  • Like 1

This is interesting, I went through some old links that I had that no longer go where they used to. This is the first time that I have ever read this about the flexible tower brace:

“It is not recommended to install together with the "Lower Arm Bar" (Part Number: ST2051021010) as it will not be able to demonstrate the original performance of the flexible tower bar.”

From here: https://www.sti.jp/parts/legacyb4_bl/chassis/ST2050221011/

I was under the impression that the S402 came with all of the STi bits that are available for the BL/BP chassis (except the rigid lower arm bar, since it has the flexible one)

Edited by WRX USA
  • Thanks 2