LegacyGT.com

BDCVG lost cylinder #4 so here We go

Priming oil filter will deff get oil pressure up faster.  Like Max said, it might take a minute of short cranks.  You can crank longer than 15seconds, its just a matter of killing the battery, lol.  We used to hook up the battery charger just in case. 

Unfortunate to hear about the leak.  Could be a torque issue.  Once, and I mean once, I admittedly failed to correctly torque the drivers side head on an FJ20 build.  Must have been a late night???  When I cranked her over to build oil pressure she shot coolant all over the engine bay.  I was more than disappointed with myself. 

20 minutes ago, m sprank said:

Priming oil filter will deff get oil pressure up faster.  Like Max said, it might take a minute of short cranks.  You can crank longer than 15seconds, its just a matter of killing the battery, lol.  We used to hook up the battery charger just in case. 

Unfortunate to hear about the leak.  Could be a torque issue.  Once, and I mean once, I admittedly failed to correctly torque the drivers side head on an FJ20 build.  Must have been a late night???  When I cranked her over to build oil pressure she shot coolant all over the engine bay.  I was more than disappointed with myself. 

Priming the oil filter is what slowed pressure in My case. I removed the primed filter and the pressure from pick-up to pump was 2 ten second cranks. Put full filter back on and 2 cranks later oil was everywhere.   Literally everywhere.

If you have a flat straight edge, and a NEW HG, I would think you could measure the flatness and if good, be ok without machine work (?)  The engine hasn't seen a heat cycle.

Mike would know for sure.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yes, head gasket backwards is easy to do. I torqued mine down, thought I had it backwards, took it apart, only to verify I had it on right *head slap*. Had to get a new gasket though.

No reason to re-machine unless you see serious indents from it being installed wrong. I wouldn't think that would happen, but I'm not looking at your block.

Tom

• Like 1

She runs. No leaks so far. 10 mins at 2500 rpm almost no issues. It did something funky at the 9 1/2 min. mark and started running up and down an wierd. I parked it and then saw I forgot to plug in MAF at air filter box. I'm guessing that was the culprit.

• Like 1

Thats normal, LOL.  Forgot to say anything. ECM is programmed to do that. Some sort of OEM trigger telling you that high idle for 10 minutes is not normal. If you blip the throttle it immediately stops.  I always knew I was almost there even without the timer running in my logging software when that happened. You are good. Let her cool completely.  Its almost time for the first drive.  Yay for you!

• Like 1

New oil and filter in and 1st drive in. 15 miles with a log done requested by the tuner. No leaks and no major issues. Feels smooth, good oil and coolant temps and good oil pressure. I'll get 100 in and change oil. 

• Like 3

Clunk under the hood found to be the Grimmspeed splitter knocking into underside of hood. The other noise appears to be gear whine that I didn't have before. The only change was the upgrade to Group N motor mounts so maybe they are amplifying the noise when decelerating in gear. Quite loud in 3rd and 4th. Very disappointing.

Yeah I expected an increase in NVH but it was a little more than what I anticipated after reading 50 or so reviews. I will get used to it and probably make it worse by adding the tranny mount. The improvement in shifting and launch overall was noticeable . While I was poking around under the car I took a close look at the trans mount and it isn't too good so I will sacrifice some quiet for better feel.

People want race cars but then don't realize all the bad things that come with race cars.

I certainly had more fun replacing worn components with OE on my 2001 legacy, vs turning my 2001 impreza in to a race car.  I got to drive the legacy a lot more, that's for sure!

• Like 1

Back in Aug 04 I replaced the stock rear tranny mount with a solid STI mount, I think it was $64.00 That did a nice job of holding the 5mt in place but had no increase in noise.

A couple of years back, I replaced the other two bushings on the tranny H frame mount, and those added noises. The wagon taught me years ago, to push in the clutch, put the tranny in neutral, coast to stop sign, etc. rather than leave it in gear to decelerate. 

A few of us have posted about the 1940's truck transmission noise.

• Like 1

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here