LegacyGT.com

BDCVG lost cylinder #4 so here We go

I'll say my Tuner knew I had one step colder plugs from the very beginning, back in 2009 or so. I have had no issues from them.  They say one step colder makes it easier for the Tuner. 

I recall going one step colder plugs back in my 1970 340 Duster in the mid 1970's because I was getting "high speed glazing"  on the white ceramic on the plug. Champion Spark Plugs had a wall chart in most auto parts stores showing different issues with plugs. The yellow glazing was on the chart and how to stop it.

• Like 1

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Cold plugs made far more sense with carburated engines.  We had no digital data and had to "tune" off of plug color. 

You hit the nail on the head Max.  I always referred to cold plugs as the request of a lazy tuner.  Only ever needed them on specific builds, not street cars.  But I did have the luck of working with VERY highly regarded tuners who took the time to get it right no matter what the set up. 

To each his own. 

• Like 2

So I am not sure if I am missing TGV to manifold gaskets or not. I found 2 coated metal gaskets that look like TGV gaskets in My kit but My manifold has orange rubber gaskets that fit into a trough and have a tab on them. Do I use both metal and rubber? The orange rubber is what I don't have.

Not worth the time.  Yes, I have tested.  Even a full TGV delete with port and polish only makes 1-2whp difference (on a decent build).  Removal of the plates alone nets zero (so little you wont be able to measure it).  If it makes you feel better you can remove the plates and the sensor determines physical position by the end shaft/motor, not the plate. 

Heads done but now machine shop realized He can't turn flywheel. I read so many conflicting stories on yes they can be turned to no they can't I wasn't sure what to do. Now I am delayed waiting for a flywheel and I have to figure out stock or not. UGH

Flywheel can be turned.  But... it takes a good machine shop that either does a lot of them or is willing to take the time to make the"fixture" required.  You also have to be very mindful of cleanliness when reassembling the back plate.  I had my chosen machine shop turn hundreds (if not thousands) of Subie dual and single mass flywheels for me. 

Edited by m sprank

The dmfw bolts are different than the smfw bolts. 

Wait, I see above there seems to be talk of a dmfw, but I thought your car , an 08 came with a smfw ?

A stock smfw can be turned at any machine shop...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Both can be turned. Some machine shops dont want to deal with the backing plate on the Subie smfw.  We removed and replaced them ourselves at my shop (indexing original orientation and bolt location, making sure they were CLEAN upon reassembly).  Sounds like some machinists are getting a bit lazy and dont want to deal with liabilities. 

08s came with a single mass. Not a bad idea to replace the bolts no matter what.  Not expensive.   I always recommended it. Not worth having damage from a used bolt that was overstretched or fatigued. 

My car has the bolt on backing plate behind flywheel so My machine Guy couldn't turn it. I grabbed a 2006 WRX flywheel because it is supposed to be compatible with the clutch I bought. All the reading I did seemed to indicate a 2006 flywheel will work on My 2008. Hopefully I haven't buggered this up now.

Edited by bdcvg

Your machine "guy" could turn it.  He refused to.  Either that or he is not a real machinist or does not have proper tools.  Either way, good to avoid.  Hopefully this is not the same "machinist" performing any internal work on the block or heads. 

5MT can use the WRX flywheel from 06-14.

Oh boy. He did the head work. I checked the valve to cam clearances when I installed heads . They were all in spec with the TSM. He has done Subaru heads before, had some sitting there when I dropped off. Egads just My luck. 

If he did not go crazy with a porting tool the heads should be ok.  Cleanliness is key.  There are very small oil passages that can be blocked by debris and it is easy enough to port right into the coolant passages if you are not familiar. 

One of my sponsored drivers would not let me do the work on his engine as he had a "friend" from F1 he wanted to use for that.  Well, coolant all over my dyno during tuning as the coolant passages had been breached during porting.  The event ended up killing the relationship and I lost over $10k in sponsorship money.  It was an embarrassment and unfortunately I had dragged my "friends" into the foray; Delicious Tuning (who I convinced to sponsor the car and tune) KillerB (who I convinced to sponsor the car and supplied a spoolinator kit) and Outfront Motorsports (who I convinced to supply the closed deck block).

• Sad 1