LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

Trying to decide what to do for headlights.

I currently have my OEM (cleared) with Morimoto HIDs.

They have been cleaned up a few times, but they are due for replacement.

Trying to decide whether to go with JDM HIDs or Depo and transplant what I have.

I like the look of the JDM better, but the Depos would be new.

Also not sure about the difference between JDM HID and retrofit HIDs, and long term replacements.

Any advice on pro and cons for either option?

Trying to decide what to do for headlights.

I currently have my OEM (cleared) with Morimoto HIDs.

They have been cleaned up a few times, but they are due for replacement.

Trying to decide whether to go with JDM HIDs or Depo and transplant what I have.

I like the look of the JDM better, but the Depos would be new.

Also not sure about the difference between JDM HID and retrofit HIDs, and long term replacements.

Any advice on pro and cons for either option?

If you are going to go with the JDMs but there is a risk you will go back to the USDM, I strongly recommend the conversion kit from Legacyoddsnends.

Finally had time to grab an oil sample and bring it in to work. Draining down through a filter for a few days, then we'll get it in the SEM to do some spectroscopy. Also grabbed some filings off of a spare crank I have sitting, so I can get a profile of the steel's signature to use as a reference when analyzing the oil. Simultaneously sent a sample of the same oil to Blackstone. Based on some UOAs I got from a friend who builds some fun cars and has an STI with a similar build list to mine, it seems like the lead spike I saw may not be a killer - just a sign that some bearing contact occurred at some point when I was romping on the car. This seems to mesh with the fact that oil pressure is fine and there are no new noises. Going to make a thread on this once I have the spectroscopy results and the Blackstone UOA back, so we all have some reference material.

While I wait, got cracking on the only spot of body cancer the wagon has. Ground away the big spot of rust on the outside, found more inside, cleaned that up with a long porting bit, POR-15'd the crap out of the inside of the fender and in between the outer and inner sheet metal layer, and closed up with a piece of sheet metal trimmed to size. Need to stitch it again and re-flatten, as I went a little light on filler and see a few pinholes. Then smooth, paint, POR-15 the backside again to make sure I didn't expose any metal by burning through the first coats of paint. Not as bad as I thought it would be, first time doing any kind of rust repair beyond the poke-it-with-my-finger-till-it-falls-off method.

IMG_20211008_212503.thumb.jpg.82a25b4d9a945d6f4602245c1401fde2.jpg

IMG_20210926_193803.thumb.jpg.f7a12d23d73cf91983a83bd4614ce173.jpg

Finally had time to grab an oil sample and bring it in to work. Draining down through a filter for a few days, then we'll get it in the SEM to do some spectroscopy. Also grabbed some filings off of a spare crank I have sitting, so I can get a profile of the steel's signature to use as a reference when analyzing the oil. Simultaneously sent a sample of the same oil to Blackstone. Based on some UOAs I got from a friend who builds some fun cars and has an STI with a similar build list to mine, it seems like the lead spike I saw may not be a killer - just a sign that some bearing contact occurred at some point when I was romping on the car. This seems to mesh with the fact that oil pressure is fine and there are no new noises. Going to make a thread on this once I have the spectroscopy results and the Blackstone UOA back, so we all have some reference material.

While I wait, got cracking on the only spot of body cancer the wagon has. Ground away the big spot of rust on the outside, found more inside, cleaned that up with a long porting bit, POR-15'd the crap out of the inside of the fender and in between the outer and inner sheet metal layer, and closed up with a piece of sheet metal trimmed to size. Need to stitch it again and re-flatten, as I went a little light on filler and see a few pinholes. Then smooth, paint, POR-15 the backside again to make sure I didn't expose any metal by burning through the first coats of paint. Not as bad as I thought it would be, first time doing any kind of rust repair beyond the poke-it-with-my-finger-till-it-falls-off method.

I was under my car last week and I'm so happy mine lived most it's life in Texas then transplanted to the PNW, it's virtually rust free even underneath

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Finally pieced together the cross bars I prefer for the wagon...the whispbar! I bought the adapter kit like a year ago because it popped up on ebay new. Then finally found a vendor that still had the S22 bar kit. Rock solid (far better than using forester cross bars) and though i haven't driven with it yet, I am assuming it is nice and quiet given its shape. Nice little birthday present for the 17 year old car!

side.thumb.jpg.fdc62bdc135d61a89437f0eb5f6effed.jpg

Edited by jaylew

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

Changed oil, Rotella T6, with one of my remaining AA100 filters. Engine runs so silky smooth with new oil.

Tightened the steering pump belt, it was chirping in the morning on cold. Should be good now.

Didn't reset my evap CEL, want to read more about the diagnostic and see where I have to dig.

Registered for autox at Devens next Sunday.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Today I am trying to get my knock sensor changed. That bolt is a complete pain in the *** to get loose.

Pull the intercooler and the pipe that goes to the throttle body. Get a long 1/4” extension with a ball end and a 12mm socket. Extension and socket go in the gap between the throttle body and the intake in the straightest line possible to reach the knock sensor bolt.. make sure you use a Subaru sensor, clean the surface and torque to spec.

I just had this problem……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Installed 1/4 of my Bilsteins…

Got yanked off the project by wife’s plans.

Next one will go much quicklier, then the fronts.

Need to patch a gaping hole in my spare tire well.. picked up mig wire… realized my gas bottle is empty. F#ck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What else you got John?

fjuan's entire sedan. blocks, heads, transmissions, etc. a full sedan suspension, maybe 2. a set of black front seats. nexus setup. sti rear subframe. wheels. tires. hoods. fenders.

there's a partial list in the classified section. It was lazy attempt to sell stuff. going to split it out into individual items.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284893

Edited by boxkita

Comments say it's lasted a month. Other than that it's the version of the Legacy wagon that doesn't have all the wagony goodness, which is an immediate turn off for anyone I've ever talked at for my entire life. Edited by seanyb505

I did the same corner on the same ABP color wagon this weekend, but the POR-15 wouldn't harden after a full day and I needed to get it done for this morning so now it's just etch primer, high build primer, paint and clear. There were 5 tiny pin pricks of rust that I couldn't grind out without going through and I don't have the skills (or tools) to do a cut out like you did. I'm hoping this gets me through the winter without any bubbling and then I can have a shop do the cut and weld next year.

Wagonfest was this weekend! A thank you to all those who came out to the pre meet. It was nice to meet the new faces, and great to see the old ones. There was a ton of LGTs and OBXTs at the event. Hoping more East Coast boys and mid-Westerns can make it out next year, as it truly was a fun experience!

We had a blast mobbin' up to Snoqualmie, and detoured do a lap around Mercer Island on the way up to DirtFish for the event. Shout out to everyone for waiting as I emergency-peed on the shoulder of the on-ramp :lol: Grabbed some good Hawaiian food post-event, and split.

I threw on the custom Enkei stickers I had, to match the Project MU's and think it turned out great. I love attention-to-detail mods.

IMG_4616-min.thumb.JPG.37959c116319934f8d1b808fee4e62b8.JPG

IMG_4611-min.thumb.JPG.aea5a145e474063f810d1d6856aa7297.JPG

IMG_4609-min.thumb.JPG.a7e228ac64392c0ad92bb307993f4646.JPG

MILKRUN  - Click Here

My car went under the knife yesterday.

Sti rack and knuckle are in. Spec b front LCA are on. Rear spec b parts and new wheel bearings will be done today. Tires and alignment tomorrow morning. I’m pumped.

I outsourced this work to a shop for the first time in a long time and I’m happy I did. They had to fight some of the rear hardware, which was original and never touched I during my 12 years of ownership.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

My car went under the knife yesterday.

Sti rack and knuckle are in. Spec b front LCA are on. Rear spec b parts and new wheel bearings will be done today. Tires and alignment tomorrow morning. I’m pumped.

I outsourced this work to a shop for the first time in a long time and I’m happy I did. They had to fight some of the rear hardware, which was original and never touched I during my 12 years of ownership.

Don't feel bad. I source out many big jobs now that I have moved up on my career and make more money. My time is worth more and I do not feel like beating myself or spending days on big projects.

Wagonfest was this weekend! A thank you to all those who came out to the pre meet. It was nice to meet the new faces, and great to see the old ones. There was a ton of LGTs and OBXTs at the event. Hoping more East Coast boys and mid-Westerns can make it out next year, as it truly was a fun experience!

We had a blast mobbin' up to Snoqualmie, and detoured do a lap around Mercer Island on the way up to DirtFish for the event. Shout out to everyone for waiting as I emergency-peed on the shoulder of the on-ramp :lol: Grabbed some good Hawaiian food post-event, and split.

I threw on the custom Enkei stickers I had, to match the Project MU's and think it turned out great. I love attention-to-detail mods.

More pics!