LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

Very much so! It sucks, too because I was having a blast driving it with the 2015 STI rack. Been sitting in the garage for over a week now.

It wasn't as bad as expected - just tedious. Knew I needed to do something when I stopped at a gas station after being on the highway. Guy pulled up next to me at the pump saying "uh, your car is smoking". Sure enough, smoke was bellowing out of the hood scoop. I simply said "ya, power steering pump is leaking". He just looked bewildered haha

These cars should have come with a warning label on the dash...if smoking, please insert credit card.

This is so the truth lol, also I thought these cars smoked and did all types of things was normal. :lol::lol::lol: I mean my car was completed and I still have things I wonders about. So I just turn up the music, but no leaking on the garage floor anymore. i am not sure if it all leaked out or it was to full and leveled off.

So I check all fluids each week. My car is now on a battery tender since it's getting close to winter. :cool::lol:

That hose (+ the metal coupler) comes with the GrimmSpeed TMIC.

Did an oil change yesterday (after buying the only Mazda N3R1-14-302 filter available within the nearest two Mazda dealers). Wideband is still reading lean in boost after "cleaning" it with MAF sensor cleaner. Maybe I'll try a second cleaning with a torch before buying a new Bosch LSU 4.9 sensor. I just truly can't believe it's running as lean as the WBO2 indicates since the car feels normal and there's no recorded knock under load. Burning smell is still there, of course. It's certainly not RH side CV boot (incidentally just regreased and replaced the LH one last September). I wonder if it's the Fluid Film I got the underside coated with before last winter that I'm smelling? :iam:

Did you read my response to your OP? Not sure if you are running OEM TMIC but if so they may leak on passenger side once tabs loosen a bit. Then oil drips on the DP slowly. By the time you are out of the car looking for it it almost impossible to notice on DP.

I have had that and BARMANBEAN's TMIC enforcement kit helps keeping it all tight after I fixed the issue.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Rebuilt the old, leaky OEM power steering pump with new seals because *surprise* the rebuilt aftermarket pump I installed a few months back is already leaking

Where did it exactly leak from? I just changed the 'famous' oring on mine. After 100 miles or so of driving, I am still smelling burnt PS fluid. It does not appear to leak from the hose/oring anymore. Can't really notice loss of fluid either from the reservoir. But maybe it is slowly leaking from another area of the pump.

Looks as though both the OEM and "new" one are leaking from the front main seal. The rebuilt one especially already has a ton of gunk around the shaft bearing area. Most of my fluid is running down the front of the timing belt cover and onto the headers. I'm guessing the rebuilt reman ones are haphazardly resealed. You have to be pretty careful punching out the front seal so you don't gouge the outer sealing surface. Only other way I saw these leak is the main body seal but it's tough to tell if that was the culprit since the entire OEM pump was covered in fluid when I pulled it.

The purchased rebuilt one got to the point where I needed to refill the reservoir every 3rd or 4th drive before I finally garaged it. I will start it up and let it idle to see if I can spot any drips and confirm their source

This is so the truth lol, also I thought these cars smoked and did all types of things was normal. :lol::lol::lol: I mean my car was completed and I still have things I wonders about. So I just turn up the music, but no leaking on the garage floor anymore. i am not sure if it all leaked out or it was to full and leveled off.

So I check all fluids each week. My car is now on a battery tender since it's getting close to winter. :cool::lol:

When i used to track mine regularly, I used about 3 quarts a track day. I had ppl follow me and say nothing was wrong. After awhile, I just assumed every fillup included oil, too. Now I know better...its really a 2 stroke engine

Looks as though both the OEM and "new" one are leaking from the front main seal. The rebuilt one especially already has a ton of gunk around the shaft bearing area. Most of my fluid is running down the front of the timing belt cover and onto the headers. I'm guessing the rebuilt reman ones are haphazardly resealed. You have to be pretty careful punching out the front seal so you don't gouge the outer sealing surface. Only other way I saw these leak is the main body seal but it's tough to tell if that was the culprit since the entire OEM pump was covered in fluid when I pulled it.

The purchased rebuilt one got to the point where I needed to refill the reservoir every 3rd or 4th drive before I finally garaged it. I will start it up and let it idle to see if I can spot any drips and confirm their source

Thanks. I'll take a closer inspection at the front main seal then. That could be it.

Got my rear lower control arms installed rather easily. Couldn't get a good grip on the upper adjustment bolts, which looked like death and gave up on those arms very quickly.

No biggie, shop will handle it in a couple weeks along with the alignment. Can't wait to get it all done though. New wheels look amazing, but rub a good bit. I want to drive it!

This is so the truth lol, also I thought these cars smoked and did all types of things was normal. [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38] I mean my car was completed and I still have things I wonders about. So I just turn up the music, but no leaking on the garage floor anymore. i am not sure if it all leaked out or it was to full and leveled off.

So I check all fluids each week. My car is now on a battery tender since it's getting close to winter. :cool:[emoji38]

I saw a video the other day and someone was asking if engine sounded ok, naturally it was noise as ****...

Perfect response was sounds like a good little tractor to me [emoji1787]....but seriously the only car I have had that sounded as broke when it was working was my 77 air cooled VW bus

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Did you read my response to your OP? Not sure if you are running OEM TMIC but if so they may leak on passenger side once tabs loosen a bit. Then oil drips on the DP slowly. By the time you are out of the car looking for it it almost impossible to notice on DP.

I have had that and BARMANBEAN's TMIC enforcement kit helps keeping it all tight after I fixed the issue.

Sorry, yeah, I did. I have a GrimmSpeed TMIC, so not relevant for me. Not losing any appreciable oil (and it doesn't smell like burning oil either... very familiar with that smell :lol:).

Did an oil change on it last weekend, but haven't touched it since. Perhaps I'll take it up to Mt. Washington this weekend and maybe detour through the Kancamagus on my way there/back :)

Little rougher then expected, but it’ll do. Lots of work to get my wagon back.

Forum would benefit if you make a thread about the rebuild. I imagine some of us may have to follow you in the years to come, would be nice to have some reference.

Post what you need - as probably many here through the years I accumulated piles of parts, regular and odd ones. FWIW I cut off all the connectors with pigtails that I could get to from Mike Hammerdown's LGT before hauling the shell away. Have some spare 6spd conversion parts too, etc etc.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Just finished up another coat of RainEx on the windshield and cleaned the inside of the windshield as best as I could.

As an aside, has anyone put the Morimoto XB fogs on their 4th gen? I searched here, but it looks like it's only been 5th and 6th gen owners that have done it.

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

Work sent me to PA last week for a nice little working weekend, so any plans I had of getting new bushings in went out the window. I at least managed an early oil change and swapped onto the winter tires today. Tomorrow I take off for WagonFest and to visit my parents while I’m over there.

Wiring, lots of wiring...... so........ much........ wiring.......

JDM projector conversion wiring, JDM power folding mirrors wiring, JDM mirror tweeter wiring, McIntosh head unit wiring, McIntosh rear sub wiring, McIntosh amp wiring.

Then, once thats all done, taking the new body panels to get painted, and maybe, just maybe, ill get to enjoy driving it for a year before I blow this engine up.