LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

On 2/8/2024 at 8:57 PM, Enlight said:

Very nice. I'm installing a hitch on mine in the near future. How did she handle with a full load?

Also, before and after impressions of the sound deadening?

Lastly, you Uber with your Legacy?

I've towed with my wagon many times over the years and never had an issue. I've never really had a need for a truck so having the option to pick up a $19 uhaul trailer to move a couch or a new tool box has worked just fine for me. With lighter loads (<500lbs) I hardly notice a drop in mileage.

However the image I just posted was *well* over the 2000lb limit and probably approaching the 3500lb limit of my hitch. It was a short drive and I only exceeded 40mph on the stretch of i5 from the interstate bridge to downtown Portland. After that I took it slow and rode Burnside to Barnes until I made it home. At 50mph I had to stay in 3rd if there was the slightest incline lol.

I drove the car with a ~2500lb load from Vancouver to LA and back without issue, through an ice storm on the initial trip. It didn't like that either and got 12mpg the whole way. But, nothing broke!

The funny thing about the sound deadening is that it is SIGNIFICANTLY quieter from down below - I know this because I became distinctly aware of noise from my roof rack and what was escaping in through the hole where my back seat goes. I think once I add some more in the rear and get the seat in it'll be super quiet. It definitely helped a ton with vibrations.

I uber'd with my Legacy in 2015-16 when I was a broke 22 year old who thought he had turbo Subaru money but didn't. I just never took the sticker off because it's funny at this point. The car wouldn't qualify to be used as an Uber, it's too old. That's also the old school Uber logo that they don't use anymore.

• Thanks 1

My turn...

My custom mufflers have finally been installed! They're loud but also subtle. I actually hated the look of them at first but it grew on me once I took my hitch off and learned to appreciate the offset tips. I think I'm going to end up adding a resonator, as much as I wanted to avoid cutting in to my Cobb exhaust I think it's just a little too droney for me. I'll decide for sure when I get the rest of the interior installed.

Edit: I have no clue why they uploaded sideways/upside down

Edit 2: took screenshots of my gallery app and that fixed it 🤷🏻‍♂️

Screenshot_20240211_132330_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240211_132413_Gallery.jpg

Edited by alex0856
  • Like 4

40 minutes ago, alex0856 said:

My turn...

My custom mufflers have finally been installed! They're loud but also subtle. I actually hated the look of them at first but it grew on me once I took my hitch off and learned to appreciate the offset tips. I think I'm going to end up adding a resonator, as much as I wanted to avoid cutting in to my Cobb exhaust I think it's just a little too droney for me. I'll decide for sure when I get the rest of the interior installed.

Edit: I have no clue why they uploaded sideways/upside down

20240210_131531.jpg

20240207_155734.jpg

I was going to ask why you flipped your car over for pics. 😜

39 minutes ago, WRX USA said:

I was going to ask why you flipped your car over for pics. 😜

I even tried flipping the picture upside down and then uploading but it did nothing. I guess everyone will just have to turn their heads upside down.

Edit I fixed it lol

Edited by alex0856
  • Like 1

one of the last few things left on the car to stiffen up. Cusco diff brace and WL rear laterals

alot of heat, alot of banging, alot of cutting, alot of prying and bleeding fingers

diff looks like its made out of a flakey biscuit,

subframe is so rusty, upper toe bolts are seized to the frame, couldnt do those, need help

rear diff stud bushing nuts arnt even nuts anymore

is a rear subframe something is usually swapped at some point? 

Snapchat-1264066011.jpg

Snapchat-57757828.jpg

Snapchat-1311677737.jpg

Don’t think that mines that rusty but it’s something I’d want to replace sooner rather than later…also be nice to do with suspension refresh. 

Rolled over 92k miles, probably hit the big 100 later this year….also finally started working on this thing again. Looking at old pictures looks like I had gutted back in 21…3 years, sheesh. Time flies when you’re trying to work on your LGT….will also be up for sale soon.

IMG_2189.jpeg

IMG_2188.jpeg

IMG_2187.jpeg

IMG_2186.jpeg

IMG_2185.jpeg

Edited by SoobyDoobyDoo

On 2/9/2024 at 2:38 PM, xt2005bonbon said:

Change it yourself and save some cash. It's not hard at all (assuming no bolt seizing problem).

I saw the guy fire up the torch and I got the bearing assembly and the bolts back with the old one, so I would probably not have been able to do it.  Is the housing the same for the left side as the right?  If so, when the left one goes, I could get someone to press out the bearing, put in a Timken  and do the other side with the same housing.

I got the tires installed on the wheels this morning and took some photos with the wheels standing next to the car. I also got the windows tinted and wished I had gone with a darker shade. However visibility from the inside is great. I did go with the highest level of infrared blocking. So it is what it is at this point.

IMG_8791.jpg

IMG_8795.jpg

IMG_8794.jpg

Edited by 310Z
spelling error
  • Like 5

On 2/11/2024 at 5:55 PM, Ows said:

is a rear subframe something is usually swapped at some point? 

Can be. I dropped mine to do the tank and lines, etc...

While it was out I had it sandblasted, then painted it with POR 15. Looks awesome, is holding up well so far, and cost a lot less than buying a new one.

• Like 1

Been a minute since I've logged in.  Moved to an area with a Harbour Freight, bought a new jack. Swapped my orig downpipe back to my aftermarket after a smog test several months ago. Finally got time after the move. Flash my tune and away I went. I had forgotten how sluggish the car was with the oem dp and tune. The car really woke up again. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, KZJonny said:

While it was out I had it sandblasted, then painted it with POR 15. Looks awesome, is holding up well so far, and cost a lot less than buying a new one.

POR 15 does a good job of protecting but is is a nasty paint to work with. POR 15 dries with humidity and without moisture in the air it stays tacky. It is extremely arid where I live and I painted a engine block and it would still leave finger prints three weeks later. So I read more about this product that informed me the product likes a specific amount of humidly to dry. The first summer rain storm we had the paint finally set up like a rock and still looks great 15 years later. Most people think the block is powder coated, just a lot of prep work POR 15 and a paint brush.

• Like 3

I do not have that particular problem where I live. Wish I did, honestly.

I hate humidity and live in one of the few places in Canada that is humid AF Spring through Autumn… 🙄 That POR was cured crazy hard by the next morning.

It’s also about the second warmest region in the country, and I love the cold… why I stay here is beyond me.

Edited by KZJonny
  • Confused 1

Truer words never spoken: it’s all in the prep. I used POR15 on my g-body Buick floorboard and was pretty happy with the results. I also bought the spray cause they were in excellent shape (g-body floorboards tend to rot and rust if the car is left outside cause window seals fail and moisture gets in and under the carpet and well…the rest is history). There a small spot that somehow didn’t get it but I’m not concerned about it. It’s tough as nails now. 

The LGT gave me the dreaded/annoying P2138 code today (no acc pedal) on my way to work. Been a while since it’s happened…at least several months. I was thankful that was it, and also I was able to finally buy a code reader ($41 at auto zombie…I’ll take that vs $150 or more). Got it home and sprayed contact cleaner on it. Adding a new acc pedal assy to the list of things to start replacing. For those who have had this issue, was there anything else you checked/replaced? I found an old thread about cleaning the MAF sensor but don’t know how the two could be related? Or maybe cleaning the throttle body? If I’m gonna do one thing I’d rather do several to help just keep the car running as well as it can. TIA!

3 hours ago, SoobyDoobyDoo said:

Truer words never spoken: it’s all in the prep. I used POR15 on my g-body Buick floorboard and was pretty happy with the results. I also bought the spray cause they were in excellent shape (g-body floorboards tend to rot and rust if the car is left outside cause window seals fail and moisture gets in and under the carpet and well…the rest is history). There a small spot that somehow didn’t get it but I’m not concerned about it. It’s tough as nails now. 

The LGT gave me the dreaded/annoying P2138 code today (no acc pedal) on my way to work. Been a while since it’s happened…at least several months. I was thankful that was it, and also I was able to finally buy a code reader ($41 at auto zombie…I’ll take that vs $150 or more). Got it home and sprayed contact cleaner on it. Adding a new acc pedal assy to the list of things to start replacing. For those who have had this issue, was there anything else you checked/replaced? I found an old thread about cleaning the MAF sensor but don’t know how the two could be related? Or maybe cleaning the throttle body? If I’m gonna do one thing I’d rather do several to help just keep the car running as well as it can. TIA!

Is that when the car goes in limp mode? I did clean the connector and contacts but imho that's red herring.

Final resolution for me was to swap in a new pedal assembly. Hint - throw a towel or some shop cloth under the area, to cover the top edge of carpet.  I ended up losing top nut under the carpet. Otherwise it was a cake to replace, did not have the problem since.

• Thanks 1

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Thanks @SubOperator-kinda my thoughts too. Yes, car went into limp mode. Check engine light was on solid and cruise was flashing. It did idle a little rough this morning and had a little trouble starting but drove fine once warmed up. It’s due for a good MAF cleaning anyway, and I’ve got a new air filter waiting to go in. My thinking it’s just the age of the electrical components, it’s all original. 

Edited by SoobyDoobyDoo
Clarification on limp mode
  • Like 1

I hit the big 150. It's funny, when I hit 140 in 2017 my car was on the higher mileage side compared to most. Now I see ya'll with 200k, 250 or even 300. My car is now a low mileage vehicle.

I haven't done jack on the wagon in the last week, too busy with work and dealing with family stuff. I did have to pack up and take off to Bellingham Tuesday night on a moment's notice to visit a family member in the hospital. It felt good to know that I could trust the car to take a surprise 540 mile trip in an emergency. I hadn't taken it outside of the Portland metro area in 5 or 6 years.

This weekend's goal is to have the interior put back in. My new garage is filled with crap, but I'm hoping I can get it organized enough to put the car inside.

20240129_112610.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ashtone said:

Has anyone experienced this display on the trip odometer?

When it happens, it always says the same thing.: ILL.5.

no other symptoms when it happens, and it goes away only to return days or weeks later.

IMG_8405.mov 144.6 MB · 0 downloads  

Both my 4th Gens do that occassionally. Never did figure out why. Just assumed it was some internal check going on, and part of it meant that ill.5 flashed (or whatever illumination level you currently have the dash backlighting adjusted to will flash... ill.3 etc...)

I also have the information display sometimes flashes what I think it time to empty? I just blinks at you once or twice, then goes away.

In either case, probably all harmless stuff it's either meant to do, or eccentric things the cars have picked up in 20 years.

4 hours ago, Ashtone said:

Has anyone experienced this display on the trip odometer?

When it happens, it always says the same thing.: ILL.5.

no other symptoms when it happens, and it goes away only to return days or weeks later.

3 hours ago, KZJonny said:

Both my 4th Gens do that occassionally. Never did figure out why. Just assumed it was some internal check going on, and part of it meant that ill.5 flashed (or whatever illumination level you currently have the dash backlighting adjusted to will flash... ill.3 etc...)

I also have the information display sometimes flashes what I think it time to empty? I just blinks at you once or twice, then goes away.

In either case, probably all harmless stuff it's either meant to do, or eccentric things the cars have picked up in 20 years.

Oh God, you have not been on this forum in its hayday, have you?

@Ashtone  ILL followed by any number is just an indication of where the illumination wheel is set to. That illumination wheel which is on the left side panel by the left knee. Turn it up and down, watch the display. Have to admit, first time it happened to me I got scared thinking YNANSB!!!

I believe the wheel is just sensitive to humidity, it mostly happens to me when it is raining or really foggy.

@KZJonny The info display flashes in two cases from what I recall: each hour of driving, and/or when ambient temp is around freezing. In later case I believe only temp readings flash though.

Edited by SubOperator
  • Like 4

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

10 hours ago, alex0856 said:

I did have to pack up and take off to Bellingham Tuesday night on a moment's notice to visit a family member in the hospital. It felt good to know that I could trust the car to take a surprise 540 mile trip in an emergency.

I lived in Bellingham for a spring and summer back in 1985 or 6. I built the Simiahmoo golf course in Blane WA and lived in Birch Bay the year prior. I liked the area until the sky turned gray in the fall and it appeared like it stayed that way until spring.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SubOperator said:

Oh God, you have not been on this forum in its hayday, have you?

@Ashtone  ILL followed by any number is just an indication of where the illumination wheel is set to. That illumination wheel which is on the left side panel by the left knee. Turn it up and down, watch the display. Have to admit, first time it happened to me I got scared thinking YNANSB!!!

I believe the wheel is just sensitive to humidity, it mostly happens to me when it is raining or really foggy.

@KZJonny The info display flashes in two cases from what I recall: each hour of driving, and/or when ambient temp is around freezing. In later case I believe only temp readings flash though.

Mine also does it on occasion. I keep mine on 3, and it’ll flash “ILL.3”. It’s more annoying than anything, I just scroll through the various brightnesses and it goes away. It’s just the switch. 

@Ows Curious to see how much nvh the Cusco braces add, if any? Or add any stiffness? 

Edited by SoobyDoobyDoo

7 hours ago, Ashtone said:

@KZJonny; @SubOperator:

thanks. Makes perfect sense. I thought the odometer was having an issue.

Oooo just wait until you wipe down the interior and can’t turn off the parking lights!

• Haha 3
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

“Oooo just wait until you wipe down the interior and can’t turn off the parking lights!”

nah…I figured that one out the first day I had the car. But I did have to google it😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1