LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

I'm always unsure whether to post stuff here or over on outback forums but I posted here in October about taking the class III hitch off of my 09 LGT...  My son and I got the hitch mounted up on my 06 Outback sedan yesterday.  Hitch will work better on the OB since it always smacked the pavement going out of driveway when it was on the LGT.  I had finished grafting in the trailer light pigtail earlier this week since none of the sedans come with that like the wagons do.

It seems the Outbacks have this extra bit of brace at the rear underside of the frame rails right where that meets the rear bulkhead of the unibody and where the bumper is attached.  This OB sedan had these but there was no way the Reese hitch was gonna bolt on since the hitch uses the 2nd to last frame rail 10mm bolt for one mounting point.  These brackets are different on the 06 OB sedan than my son's 09 OB wagon.  The only thing I can think of for their purpose is a bit more bracing on the lower side of the rearmost frame rail where the bumper is attached.  OB sits higher so maybe this is to lessen collision damage on the OBs where the bumper height is ~2.5" higher than a normal Legacy.  My 09 LGT and 08 Legacy limited do not have this bracket thingy.  Anyways, this OB does not have these brackets anymore since they interfere with the hitch mounting

image.png.f6f64b3f1c1c958b471f54b008cd81ed.png

image.png.ab1349e3e8363dfa3db83c4f070a6d49.png

Edited by 59ctd

So! Working on the PCV Valve and the hose is stuck. I have a new hose as it was stuck before, as I suspected I may need to cut the hose -- so I did..and it snapped off right over the valve itself so I'm currently trying to get a good cut in so I can try to remove it.

Also it seems a misfire is causing the stuttering, the other issues were largely caused by accidental overfilling of the oil (because I'm an idiot and misread the dip, despite knowing how to read it) and the misfire could either be the final spark plug I put in (likely, as the issues only cropped up once it went in) or a failing (aftermarket) ignition coil.

So today: PVC Valve Hose Removal, PVC Valve Cleaning, PVC Hose Replacement, Spark Plug Swap & Possibly also Ignition Coil Swap. Still no codes, so "figuring out why she's not reporting stuff" is going on the list. 😛

Congrats! Hopefully you live up to be a better Jeff than the last one...

Jk that's a complete joke with no basis in reality. 

Played the driveshaft swapping game this afternoon after friendsgiving. The replacement Dorman looked dirtier than what came off the car. I don't have high hopes for it. Will test it out tonight... 

Edit - up to 45ish it was much smoother. I'll always have some level of increased nvh, so the driveshaft just has to fly under the radar a little and not be worse than a full poly suspension. I'll be happy to return the out of balance one and finally put this issue behind me. 

Edited by seanyb505
  • Haha 1

Received @BridNasty old Prodrive mufflers. Well-packaged. Good condition. Immediately cleaned them up with some Meguiars 105 & 205 compounds, cut out some of the plastic under the rear bumper cover to make room for the tips, mounted and installed. They look wonderful, and sound great paired with my Infernofab UELs! E2A10CDD-3C61-4489-B0F7-3BA613189FA6.thumb.jpeg.192f3dca6e534f9eec215bfde685aed2.jpeg

I also took advantage of the shadows on the wall.

BF8C7B7F-D4BA-4095-859D-B6ECAC69E247.thumb.jpeg.caa7158dfd3adb944b217152a28ee460.jpeg

• Like 10

MILKRUN  - Click Here

Found a good deal on some new wheels.  Enkei Triumph 18x8.5 (I also learned it's pronounced "En-kay").  I've wanted something besides the OEM wide-blade windmill design since I got the car (I'll keep them, not tossing OEM wheels).  Next move is to go deep into analysis paralysis on tires until I find a good deal, clean up the brake calipers since they'll actually be seen now, and acquire other bits-n-bobs needed (TPMS, center rings, etc).  Just gonna run the stock wheels through the winter, then put these on when the sun comes back out.

Edit: They're the first NEW wheels I've ever bought for any car.  I've refurbished and restored beat up wheels, but the price of these was good enough I couldn't justify spending the time and money cleaning up lesser wheels (not that these are crazy special).

PXL_20231121_020916479.thumb.jpg.7f39d6e0ee0eb3d2fdc1059cbf004ee1.jpg

Edited by SilentJ20
  • Like 8

23 hours ago, Code said:

Gorgeous wheel. Weight?

Thanks, I love the bronze wheel on silver car combo.  Enkei doesn't seem to publish the weight on their site, oddly.  But from what I can find they're about 21lbs.  Definitely no RPF1 or forged wheel, but not bad and lighter than the OEM.

EDIT: confirmed with my luggage scale--21lbs on the dot.

Edited by SilentJ20
adding info

After a lot of searching for a cell phone holder that would hold the phone high enough above the clock, I finally gave up and made one from the clip-in rubber liner Subaru put in the cubby.
I didn’t want to mount it on the windshield with a suction cup because I just don’t like that option. I drive 140 miles round-trip every day, and clean the inside of the windshield a couple times a week. Suction cups leave a mess and I’d have to remove it every time I clean the windshield on the inside.
I used a thin steel angle bracket and some dense foam so it’d be snug inside the cubby and the phone wouldn’t bounce or vibrate on the mount. After test fitting everything I used Panel Bond to glue it up. I bought a standard magnetic phone holder and stuck the adjustable phone holder to the steel bracket. (It didn’t have to be steel; that’s just what I had laying around that worked.)
The end result is pretty cool! It holds the phone exactly where I want, I don’t have to look down away from the road to see it, and it pops right out if need be.

IMG_7831.jpeg

IMG_7828.jpeg

IMG_7827.jpeg

• Like 3

On 11/19/2023 at 7:42 AM, BetterJeff said:

Purchased in Ohio and driven home to Florida and only thing that went wrong was the 6-disc changer wouldn't take disk #6.  :)

IMG_0704.jpg

More information please? Car looks like it has been kept in nice shape? What kind of milage dos it have? Automatic trans or manual trans? Appears completely stock? 

2 hours ago, Ashtone said:

After a lot of searching for a cell phone holder that would hold the phone high enough above the clock, I finally gave up and made one from the clip-in rubber liner Subaru put in the cubby.
I didn’t want to mount it on the windshield with a suction cup because I just don’t like that option. I drive 140 miles round-trip every day, and clean the inside of the windshield a couple times a week. Suction cups leave a mess and I’d have to remove it every time I clean the windshield on the inside.
I used a thin steel angle bracket and some dense foam so it’d be snug inside the cubby and the phone wouldn’t bounce or vibrate on the mount. After test fitting everything I used Panel Bond to glue it up. I bought a standard magnetic phone holder and stuck the adjustable phone holder to the steel bracket. (It didn’t have to be steel; that’s just what I had laying around that worked.)
The end result is pretty cool! It holds the phone exactly where I want, I don’t have to look down away from the road to see it, and it pops right out if need be.

IMG_7831.jpeg

IMG_7828.jpeg

IMG_7827.jpeg

This is a great solution. I have been trying to find something and/or someway to mount my phone and have not been satisfied with other set ups. I had narrowed it down to the same location for placement but had not gone as far as you have with design. I love your idea and will be doing something similar.

I replaced Subi's PCV Valve Hose and sussed out the cause of her misfires. Spark Plug Wires 2 and 4 were swapped, but were swapped since buying the car -- when I swapped to fresh wires, I reinstalled them as they were and didn't notice. To be fair..I wouldn't expect anyone to play musical chairs with their wires, so I didn't think to check them. :classic_sad:

This is why I work with computers and not cars. That said! Subi seems to be notably happier. Quieter and much more responsive, so huzzah!

• Like 4

11 hours ago, SilentJ20 said:

Found a good deal on some new wheels.  Enkei Triumph 18x8.5 (I also learned it's pronounced "En-kay").  I've wanted something besides the OEM wide-blade windmill design since I got the car (I'll keep them, not tossing OEM wheels).  Next move is to go deep into analysis paralysis on tires until I find a good deal, clean up the brake calipers since they'll actually be seen now, and acquire other bits-n-bobs needed (TPMS, center rings, etc).  Just gonna run the stock wheels through the winter, then put these on when the sun comes back out.

Edit: They're the first NEW wheels I've ever bought for any car.  I've refurbished and restored beat up wheels, but the price of these was good enough I couldn't justify spending the time and money cleaning up lesser wheels (not that these are crazy special).

PXL_20231121_020916479.thumb.jpg.7f39d6e0ee0eb3d2fdc1059cbf004ee1.jpg

That is a good looking wheel and a good color. The best deal I have seen on tires is on the Tire Rack. They currently have Contintal ExtremeContact DWS 06 plus in 225-40-18 for under $500 delivered. This is an ultra high performance all season tire. They currently have two rebates being offered on this tire. It is normally much more expensive. I have this tire on my car and they are great. Everyone has a different driving style and need. My son and I have pushed the heck out of these tires on dry mountain roads and they just work. They are quiet and have a smooth ride. They also work good in icy conditions. My son took the LGT fishing yesterday as he knew the north side of the mountain 7000 plus elevation then dropping to 5100 ft elevation on a very steep road is always an issue this time of year. He made it in and out and there were five vehicles that went off the road. He said these tires just work amazingly, from high performance to ice. When I find a tire I like I stick with it and I will be purchasing another set of these with new wheels.. Or possibly BFG G Force Comp 2 A/S I also know they work well everywhere.

• Like 1

I noticed the my left rear brake light was out so I replaced both the right and left bulbs.

Yesterday I worked on a friends newer OutBack. I repaired a driving/fog light housing by plastic welding and stainless steel wire suturing the mounting tab back in place. The reason I was working on the car was that it had both R&L headlights out, high beams worked. She said it is the third time that she has had a headlight out in three months. This seems odd to me and both elements were broken but did not have the black look of a burned out element. I have gathered that this is a common problem with some of the headlights but no one seems to have an answer to the cause. My first thought was electrical, fuse, light switch, but that did not seem to be the issue.

But this made since to me and I will try it. The parts guy I was talking to said he had a customer with the same problem and he corrected the problem by attempting to change the vibration frequency (attaching a zip-tie some how) putting pressure toward the back end of the long tube low beam housing.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on this topic?

On 11/11/2023 at 9:38 PM, 310Z said:

Today 11-11-23 at Sonoma Race Way in General Parking Lot I saw and photographed a silver 05 LGT with 18 inches Enkei‘s . I also saw and photographed a 2.5 XT black with a bike rack on the back and a personal license plate. Mine was black LGT in the same parking lot that you probably walked by on your way down the hill. It still has Oregon plates on it .

So I am just curious, no one knows who's LGT Wagons were at Sonoma race way? The owners were obviously enthuses. I took this picture of one of the cars and the other one was a black XT with personalized plates referring to the motor and transmission ( I do not want to post someones license pates on the web) and that is what I took the photo of.

IMG_8656.jpg

For headlight issues, check that forum in the sticky's.

After the 05's came out in 2004, Subaru came out with a better headlight bulb in the Fall of 2004, I learned to put bulbs from RIP, Kenny at candlepower.com, in fact yesterday, I just recycled the last invoice I received from him with a nice personalized handwritten note on it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Edited my EJ20X map to a “fail safe” state (stock boost and wastegate, with the required lowered timing and increased fueling for the high comp.) until I can figure out for sure why the car is breaking up under moderate/high load…

…or, until I just give up and replace the likely worn out 216,000-mile fuel pump and coils with shiny new parts, when I have the time/space to do so.

Yesterday, I changed the oil using the new Fumoto quick drain valve for the first time. This appears to be a nice addition and if the outside high temperatures for the day was beyond 37 degrees the new drain tube might not want to curl up as it was packaged and drain oil everywhere except the drain pan. I will have to work with the drain tube and get it straightened prior to my next oil change.

I have been helping out a family friend's daughters take care of their vehicles. One is a 2010 Legacy wagon and while home from college we try to catch up on maintenance so we bled the brakes on her car. I would guess that was the first time that had been done in 13 years. Then my son changed the oil in the other daughters 2011 Toyota Tundra. Now it is time to send them all back to school.

IMG_8675.jpg

IMG_8672.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 310Z said:

Yesterday, I changed the oil using the new Fumoto quick drain valve for the first time. This appears to be a nice addition and if the outside high temperatures for the day was beyond 37 degrees the new drain tube might not want to curl up as it was packaged and drain oil everywhere except the drain pan. I will have to work with the drain tube and get it straightened prior to my next oil change.

I have been helping out a family friend's daughters take care of their vehicles. One is a 2010 Legacy wagon and while home from college we try to catch up on maintenance so we bled the brakes on her car. I would guess that was the first time that had been done in 13 years. Then my son changed the oil in the other daughters 2011 Toyota Tundra. Now it is time to send them all back to school.

IMG_8675.jpg

IMG_8672.jpg

Is that clip-on hose the one from fumoto themselves? With my aftermarket engine tray, I now need something like that more than I did before.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KZJonny said:

Is that clip-on hose the one from fumoto themselves? With my aftermarket engine tray, I now need something like that more than I did before.

Yes that is the clip-on brass fitting and hose from Fumoto. However, on my LGT I had to brake out a file and file one side of the drain valve a little and the cross member in order to get it to thread into place. 

• Thanks 1

Lifted my 2007 GT on jack stands and did all 4 corner brake bleed. Managed in the process to clear that red brake indicator from my dash - I guess my car didn't like that old brake fluid.

While underneath I did a visual inspection and found lots of rust and some surprises too.  How bad does this rust look to you? I'm from Florida and have managed to own some very clean cars. Looks like brand new knuckles, hubs, and control arms will be in order.  Other option is I dump a ton of money on a needle scaler and brake all this crud off then clean and paint. Also found a chassis ground that is completely disintegrated. 

IMG_0730.thumb.JPG.740b5e61b455e45eed9d9c4ab61a1ff2.JPGIMG_0718.thumb.JPG.5a6db55d2f86848acb926fd838aef7e2.JPGIMG_0720.thumb.JPG.f1e3537c70f306993a73b9c75fdf9f3e.JPG

Last thing, is this a transmission seal leaking oil or is this normal?  

IMG_0713.thumb.JPG.d013f906586b71b7ea069dc924f1d129.JPG