LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

Last night, not today. Installed Cusco RSB mounting point braces... They look nice, and I can see them providing some support for those dinky little factory ones, although I do with there was somewhere to triangulate them to for more strenth. Ah well. If they still bend, I'll deal with it as it happens.

Screwed around with the kartboy endlinks the car came with and finally got them to be a whole lot striaghter than they were... I never realized how badly they were mounted to begin with, since they came on the car, and weren't exactly a priority... Should have known better, as everything else the PO did was kinda half assed and wonky.

Also installe the ali trans support member I had in the 'to be installed' pile of parts. Weight a litle bit less and looks better that the hunk of rust that was in there before...

• Like 1

Been enjoying driving mine with the nicer weather. Got caught out in the rain the other day and wasn’t super happy about that, but new JDM rain guards work amazing!

Also went on a little undeserved spending spree, couldn’t pass up a good deal. Grabbed an EDM console and bunch of Legacy STi suspension goodies from DoctorDave. To be installed post haste 

• Like 5

Okay, so I've got a question which has probably been answered a bunch, but I would like to confirm before doing something silly. I found lots of info on front CVs but not rears...

Are the rear drive axles the same across different transmission for our 4th Gens? (Excluding Spec's because 6-speed/R180).

I've found parts databases that seem to specify manual or automatic, but I never quite understood that since, it's the same R160 diff and the same hubs, but took it for granted. On closer look at the online parts catalogue:

https://parts.subaruonlineparts.com/oem-parts/subaru-axle-assembly-28421ag00c?c=Zz11bml2ZXJzYWxzLWFuZC1yZWFyLWF4bGUmcz1kcml2ZS1heGxlcyZsPTMmbj1Bc3NlbWJsaWVzIFBhZ2UmYT1zdWJhcnUmbz1sZWdhY3kmeT0yMDA1JnQ9Z3QtbGltaXRlZCZlPTItNWwtaDQtZ2Fz

It also lists these are 'automatic transmission shafts' but then does not have a separate number for a manual axle.

Common sense dictates they'd be the same, but I've never considered swapping one across before. ATM I have a broken CV boot on my GT and 2 automatic axles to choose from. If I can not buy a new part, that would be awesome. I do know they are side specific, so I'll be sure to pull the correct one...

EDIT: Further digging seems to indicate that are indeed the same dimensionally, and functionally, but automatic drive axles may have some slight internal difference to calm vibration due to always being loaded somewhat by the torque converter. So, they are different in that you'd rather not put a 'manual' axle in an auto for fear of excess vibration. Commentary still welcome, but I will see what happens when I pull my bad one... I have a pile of auto rear CVs that were going to go in the scrap metal bin. Might have to use on instead while I reboot mine.

Edited by KZJonny
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Decided to get an oil analysis, just to see how things are doing. Pretty happy with how it came back. Fuel is likely because this interval was over the cold winter months, where I do let my car idle more than normal. Pretty happy with the health report. 

image.thumb.png.cbd9ec1140b8d1490ee4d3177c6b659f.png

• Like 4

Went on a ski trip this weekend and got back Tuesday. My wife drives the car when we are away but I drive the highway sections. Found that my front bumper cover is messed up and missing one fog light bezel when we got home. Not damage from another car, it's from a big rock or parking block or something (deep, rough gouges and a small hole, most damage on the lower lip below the main rebar). Wife says she doesn't remember hitting anything, lol.

• Haha 1

KZ, don’t throw those axles way….I’m pretty sure you can rebuild them? Just get new seals and boots. Use the oem stuff if possible, made that mistake with the wife’s tribeca. 

Gex, more pictures of your garage are always welcome….😁

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SoobyDoobyDoo said:

KZ, don’t throw those axles way….I’m pretty sure you can rebuild them?

I won't now. My mistunderstanding was based on parts databases that had separate part numbers for AT vs. MT.

Now that I know they're the same (or functionally the same anyway), regardless of trans type, you can bet Ima start hoarding all the green cap axles I can lay my hands on. Around here the ends get pretty beat up by rust, but I'll have a go at rebuilding a couple before I spend Raxles money on a set for the GT.

• Like 1

Took the snow tires off the Spec today. Cars only been 700 miles since I put them on back in late Nov.

It now has 102,300 miles.

I did check the level on the rear diff fluid, it may be a little over full. Had to use a deep 17mm socket on the 1/2" impact gun to get the fill plug out. It had plenty of fluid. Good thing I had cardboard under the diff.

With the car on the Quickjacks, (level) instead of up on jackstands like it was back years ago when I changed the fluid, Sept 2017 at 79,850 miles.

Also greased the Moog sway bar end links.

Then I washed it, and took out the Weathertech winter mat's, put the OEM mat's back in.

• Like 1

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Finally got around to addressing my issue with my swc after installing the JDM double din years ago.

Also swapped in 3 new to me colour matched doors.  The 4th has some dents in the side moulding that I would like to fix before putting that door on.  Panels and speakers needed to be swapped over which was a royal pity. 

Finished up with an interior vacuum/wipe down and wash. 

• Like 3

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

Track day today. Absolutely pouring rain. Perfect for the wagon! Was eating up M cars, GT3s, and Corvettes all day. Most definitely one of the fastest cars on track. PS4S were just fantastic.  What a blast! Tables will turn when it dries out.

7ACF6D2A-BDD6-44DA-8AA6-CB765633EEAF.jpeg

F0EAF11B-4D5C-4B53-8BF3-6B15C8665070.jpeg

60AD28C5-A8B3-4303-96A9-C0027DE75341.jpeg

Edited by Gex
  • Like 10

Dang @BoozeRS05, that's a purdy engine bay. I've got some cleaning to do.

Installed OEM ball joints and whiteline bushings for the steering rack.

Pro-Forged ball joints are crap like Mevos, after a couple years they were clunking pretty bad.

Going OEM for ball joints from now on.

The bushings for the steering rack were toast after 215k miles, looking forward to driving tomorrow to get an alignment and then hitting the road for a conference later this week.

• Like 2

So sorry to hear about your dog Infosecdad. 

Forgot to swap the door lock when I put on the doors.  Spent way too much time trying to take the lock out of the new door with out taking out the glass, motor and tracks. 

Finally installed my damd wheel and wired up the 09 steering wheel and cruise buttons.  Not sure why I didn't do this sooner..... But I may have messed up my clock spring since the vdc light is staying on.   So if anyone has a clock spring from an 07 with vdc I will take it off your hands

• Like 2

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

10 minutes ago, NORULZleggy said:

I just got my 25mm spacers in to make sure my wheels fit when I get the STI breaks. Does anyone have a link or source to see if my wheels fit? I know my Enkie 18x8 TS-10s will fit, but not sure about my TS-5s. 

Looks like they should. I always use Tire Rack and enter 2004 WRX Impreza STi to make sure wheels will fit because of the 5x100 and Brembo’s.

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/results.jsp?&autoMake=Subaru&autoModel=Impreza+WRX+STI&autoYear=2004&autoModClar=

Edited by WRX USA

16 hours ago, WRX USA said:

Looks like they should. I always use Tire Rack and enter 2004 WRX Impreza STi to make sure wheels will fit because of the 5x100 and Brembo’s.

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/results.jsp?&autoMake=Subaru&autoModel=Impreza+WRX+STI&autoYear=2004&autoModClar=

I did check tirerack, I just did not see the 17x8 TS-5 wheels offered for the 2004 STI. I know the TS-10s will fit. I am going to drive the car to the shop with the TS-5s and have the spacers to see. they will test fit to see if the wheel fits fine first. If it does Then I have a nice set of ISC 25mm wheel spacers ;). I could put then on my other legacy or sell them. Wish me luck.

Ordered a steam cleaner to take on damaged clear bra on my LGT and wife's Tribeca. Both were installed in 2007 and my LGT was always on the street, hood portion of the bra is damaged especially bad.

Will probably do a Youtube video.

Also need to have both front wheel bearings replaced, this one I will have to pay shop to do. My right shoulder is messed up. Sucks to be getting old.

• Like 1

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

5 hours ago, NORULZleggy said:

I did check tirerack, I just did not see the 17x8 TS-5 wheels offered for the 2004 STI. I know the TS-10s will fit. I am going to drive the car to the shop with the TS-5s and have the spacers to see. they will test fit to see if the wheel fits fine first. If it does Then I have a nice set of ISC 25mm wheel spacers ;). I could put then on my other legacy or sell them. Wish me luck.

Since Tire Rack sells that size TS-5 yet doesn’t show it offered for the 2004 STi, it would be because it doesn’t fit a stock configuration (without a spacer). Good luck!

Edited by WRX USA