LegacyGT.com

s402 BP5 replica

The garage in Japan/importer I used in the UK have just done a little review on a S402 they have in stock.

https://www.torque-gt.co.uk/blog/post/spotted-subaru-legacy-s402-wagon

too bad the author didn't go into more detail on this post. so many little nerdy things about the s402s, the story of the redesigned (post facelift) and why they did it in the first place. it's not as rich as the 22b, but it's a very rare build none the less.

that one and another white bp5 have been for sale for awhile. this one has the rear backup camera option that only jpn subaru dealers do. rare. white wasn't a popular car color for s402s in jpn. it didn't show off the s402 silver well. the wagon is more rare and sells for 26-28K. With only 305 s402 (registered) on the road, they will only go up in price. not like the b22, but with such a limited run, who knows. best guess, they made 250 sedans and 152 wagons + a couple prototypes. but it's only a guess. sti is the only ones who truly know.

The effing 25 year rule. 15 years would be still a lot, but more reasonable. Should be like 10, or frankly none if the car meets regulations. It would be even reasonable if they charged import tax, just let people bring cars they want.

The effing 25 year rule. 15 years would be still a lot, but more reasonable. Should be like 10, or frankly none if the car meets regulations. It would be even reasonable if they charged import tax, just let people bring cars they want.

Agreed - there shouldn't be a need for any sort of time based rule if the car can pass some sort of standardized safety and maybe emissions inspection upon import. I believe this is what they do in the UK and it seems to work fine.

nope. it's possible, but making a nuclear warhead would be easier. kidding aside, i looked in to it, but stopped when i discovered that I'd have to custom make a trim piece to house the push start. push start was only on the s402, which was RHD. So I'd have to make a "flipped" LHD trim piece, or hack up the usdm trim. I'm not a fan of hacking. i think the brz 2017+ push start backend would work, but the ecu and immobilizer on the lgt would be the issue. probably more issues.

there is actually a left hand drive push-button in europe. i've come across a few in sweden trying to get the parts for my console swap. the attachment here shows the cutout but this specific one, aside from being cream colored, just has a blanking plate since it didn't have it equipped. i know i have a picture of it installed somewhere. i really want to get that whole setup.

_sparkskydd.jpg.994c8dbf2c93e413ec1237254b2858eb.jpg

Hello to everyone, long time lurker and doing a similar build, but on an OB :)

The number for the cover with the push button for LHD is 66208AG090JC and its a bolt-on to the panel. I am still in the process of figuring out the wiring part for EDM models and whether its different, hopefully not :lol:

Hope it helps!

the car regulations aren't pushed by the us government. it's pushed by the united states auto manufactures and dealers. they have lobbied the government for the 25 year rule (money rules). they didn't want any more competition of any kind. it's nationalism folks. cars from jpn have lower mileage than our cars. They don't drive them as much. If importers started offering used jpn cars that are 5 years old, low miles, for half the price, the US auto dealers would have serious issues. Used car market in the US is where the money is made. Now this is just my thinking.

there is actually a left hand drive push-button in europe. i've come across a few in sweden trying to get the parts for my console swap. the attachment here shows the cutout but this specific one, aside from being cream colored, just has a blanking plate since it didn't have it equipped. i know i have a picture of it installed somewhere. i really want to get that whole setup.

cool. good luck with it. i've stopped my build. getting to the point where the money and time is a waste. So buying one was the option.

It does seem strange that you have to wait 25 years to import one. In the UK, anything under 10 years old has to have an SVA test prior to being registered, older than 10 years old, just a standard MOT for registration.

Of course, the Government gets the import duty and VAT on any vehicle you bring in and this has to be paid before they release the car from the docks!

On a side note, the TBSTI also came with push button start (from 2007 onwards).

It does seem strange that you have to wait 25 years to import one. In the UK, anything under 10 years old has to have an SVA test prior to being registered, older than 10 years old, just a standard MOT for registration.

Of course, the Government gets the import duty and VAT on any vehicle you bring in and this has to be paid before they release the car from the docks!

On a side note, the TBSTI also came with push button start (from 2007 onwards).

No slight meant to the UK but it's just a numbers game. The auto bail out in 08 between US and Canada totaled 85bil. When you're that big you can do things like not let us import the Fiesta you sell in the eu. Or give us the better looking bumpers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No slight meant to the UK but it's just a numbers game. The auto bail out in 08 between US and Canada totaled 85bil. When you're that big you can do things like not let us import the Fiesta you sell in the eu. Or give us the better looking bumpers.

money = power.

can import to US under the "show only" clause, but it's such a pain and $$$$. Can't drive at all on street and has to be transported everywhere. i talked with the guy that has the 22b. you get caught, they take it.

This is such a nazi BS. I can even understand the law (lobbying), but the fact they go to such an extent to enforce it with such vengeance, is surprising.

• 5 weeks later...
while finally got time at my friends shop to do final paint work. been driving me nuts for some time having miss matched WR Blue on this rig. All of the jpn parts are slightly off compared to my newer paint. figuring a month or two to finish. once done I'll be using all new hardware (oem spec) when putting back together. also will replace body molding and any other parts that are worn out.

173815049_10219208018940420_406301024526632339_n.thumb.jpg.47834c132b5aaaa28f29bed4325bca63.jpg

172937951_10219208019340430_6317009709112794113_n.thumb.jpg.88c9595bfaea77912bed61ed3e24a4f8.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

A little update. Was prepping the car for paint when I noticed rust that I had missed during my rust repair. after tears and not so nice words were screamed at some cows in the field, I made the call to hold paint and order a new qtr.

Doing a total qtr replace isn't for the faint hearted. Going to pull in my buddy to help with it. Shooting for next May to be be done with the outside. I work very slow on my builds because they are my cars. Details are programmed into what I do.

IMG_5542.jpg.b22bee133faca4773b76f0d39adc1d51.jpg

IMG_5547.jpg.b548fd7c8001a55bdb47da19afad6e6c.jpg

IMG_5544.jpg.3c3985ff38f66a2d1717287dc1c09c42.jpg

Here is what a fresh virgin qtr looks like. About $700 from dealer. Was able to get for $525. Kind of excited to do this. This will be a slow process. So happy to get rid of the rust.

In talking with Subaru USA, there seems to be an issue with rust developing more on the left qtr then right. Curious to see what's going on once the old qtr is removed.

IMG_5591.jpg.243722cfdc3fd790d36da2aff2e6aa98.jpg

In the meantime with the interior pulled, I'm updating door card parts. Did new drive/passenger handles and trim. So needed that. Also bought a jdm McInosh front speakers. These were super clean. One day I'll buy a head unit.

1008155078_ScreenShot2021-05-05at1_04_25PM.thumb.png.bbf23f45eb08ace76081697ad9ff994e.png

IMG_5593.thumb.jpg.4062390d582aecb1dd1628f17d2bf4bc.jpg

Any reason for doing a whole quarter instead of just the dog leg wheel arch? I'm not sure what the actual section recommendations are on the quarter but I know you can get replacement dog legs, probably aftermarket I guess.

Why not CF rear from madrig? or is that not sticking to the replica (which I'd understand) Also didn't know the McIntosh speakers had 4 in the front doors...always thought it was 3, plus the dash speaker!!

Madrig's are beautiful, but the wheel wells are flared more than OEM. The look isn't for me. If he made them for BRZs, I'd be all over that.

Yes 4 in the front doors, 2 in the rear door, 1 in the dash and the sub in the back. Have all of them.

Edited by 05MNLGT