LegacyGT.com

s402 BP5 replica

I have the 5mt as good as it's going to get in my wagon, and I still want to do a 6mt swap... :lol:

Rebuilding the 6mt over a couple of months honestly sounds like fun, I would enjoy that.

what's awesome is i have a friend who is the lead mechanic for the subaru MN rally team helping me. he's got the tranny tools and the brain for this stuff.

spoke too soon about the length. not even close to 20mm longer, more like 6mm. too small to notice visual at first glance. but the surprise was the roof line. complete forgot the jdm roof doesn't have the (stupid) humps like usdm does.

IMG_3925.thumb.jpg.47eb4d5befdeeaa64250063eb1ca24a5.jpg

IMG_3928.jpg.b5bebafb8fbaf334ef1623a6e07ed25f.jpg

Edited by 05MNLGT

That's a bummer.

yeah, but you can't really see it unless your standing up. the humps are for the side curtain airbags. couldn't have the roof rails directly on top of the airbags. going to leave it. subaru community services announcement, "The more i (waste) do, the more you know."

thanks for the kind comments. it's a love hate relationship with it. it's never finished. i have to paint in spring. too many different years of wrb colors. plus i did a rust repair that i caused during the first paint job.

Lmao. What project car is ever truly finished? I’ve been working on one for over 16 years now (which shames me to say) and now I have the wagon, too. I just keep telling myself I love it...thanks for the updates too. That rear wing is a nice piece, you can’t tell from the side. Always cool to see what else you find for this thing!

spoke too soon about the length. not even close to 20mm longer, more like 6mm. too small to notice visual at first glance. but the surprise was the roof line. complete forgot the jdm roof doesn't have the (stupid) humps like usdm does.

i filled mine , very easy for you to do !

Lmao. What project car is ever truly finished? I’ve been working on one for over 16 years now (which shames me to say) and now I have the wagon, too. I just keep telling myself I love it...thanks for the updates too. That rear wing is a nice piece, you can’t tell from the side. Always cool to see what else you find for this thing!

thanks. that's one of the reason why I can't stop this build. i find something new about the s402 and have to find it and add it. but it has it's limits. with the bp5 being a 2005, some cooler s402 parts won't work, such as the s402 sti gauge set. that's a big bummer. but the 07 tbsti one does. not the same, but very close.

Have you seen this? Would those help merge a S402 cluster? *crossing fingers for this

wiring it up isn't the issue, it's the internals of the gauge that is different. 08 subaru changed the blueprint for how the legacy worked. valleylegacy and i mucked around for a month trying to get the 08 s402/tbsti cluster to work. as i recall we hit a wall with the body control unit. he ended up going with a 05 jdm Legacy TbSTI Gauge cluster which worked with reprogramming. that was 3 yrs ago and since then, i think I've found a way to get the 07 jdm tbsti cluster to work. but that's low on my list right now. 05 was a stand alone year, 06-07 changes were made and again in 08-09. it would have been great if the states got at least a specb gt sti wagon from subaru. the 05 was a crap can in the states. the bare minimum of whatever was boring. i think subaru could have introduced the specb gt sti wagon as a limited production run here in the state and would have made a killing.

wiring it up isn't the issue, it's the internals of the gauge that is different. 08 subaru changed the blueprint for how the legacy worked. valleylegacy and i mucked around for a month trying to get the 08 s402/tbsti cluster to work. as i recall we hit a wall with the body control unit. he ended up going with a 05 jdm Legacy TbSTI Gauge cluster which worked with reprogramming. that was 3 yrs ago and since then, i think I've found a way to get the 07 jdm tbsti cluster to work. but that's low on my list right now. 05 was a stand alone year, 06-07 changes were made and again in 08-09. it would have been great if the states got at least a specb gt sti wagon from subaru. the 05 was a crap can in the states. the bare minimum of whatever was boring. i think subaru could have introduced the specb gt sti wagon as a limited production run here in the state and would have made a killing.

Japan has always kept the best for themselves. We never got any of the limited run models in the UK. Same for the Impreza. No RA, Spec C etc. If you wanted one, you had to import it yourself.

Ps, I applaud what you've done so far with yours. Looks stunning. The dealer I've just bought my TBSTI from had 2 x S402 wagons in stock for sale. However, they were triple the price of mine and then once VAT, import duty, shipping etc was added, they worked out too expensive to get on the road.

This is one of them -

https://www.fujicars.jp/detail/19102255/index.html

Edited by MDMA

Japan has always kept the best for themselves. We never got any of the limited run models in the UK. Same for the Impreza. No RA, Spec C etc. If you wanted one, you had to import it yourself.

Ps, I applaud what you've done so far with yours. Looks stunning. The dealer I've just bought my TBSTI from had 2 x S402 wagons in stock for sale. However, they were triple the price of mine and then once VAT, import duty, shipping etc was added, they worked out too expensive to get on the road.

This is one of them -

https://www.fujicars.jp/detail/19102255/index.html

thanks for the kind remarks. but being in the UK you are RHD at least. It's nuts how long we have to wait to be able to import RHD and drive it.

Yes I looked into importing one of the s402 bp5 5 years ago. Shipping fees to america are 10x worse than anywhere else. the s402 i wanted was $27k, with all fees you listed plus the shipping, it was crazy expensive (bought a porsche in the states instead). And then I couldn't drive it for several years because of our import laws.

So I started my s402 build.

Edited by 05MNLGT

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
The garage in Japan/importer I used in the UK have just done a little review on a S402 they have in stock.

https://www.torque-gt.co.uk/blog/post/spotted-subaru-legacy-s402-wagon

that one and another white bp5 have been for sale for awhile. this one has the rear backup camera option that only jpn subaru dealers do. rare. white wasn't a popular car color for s402s in jpn. it didn't show off the s402 silver well. the wagon is more rare and sells for 26-28K. With only 305 s402 (registered) on the road, they will only go up in price. not like the b22, but with such a limited run, who knows. best guess, they made 250 sedans and 152 wagons + a couple prototypes. but it's only a guess. sti is the only ones who truly know.

Turns out I incorrectly thought S402 came with Recaros. Instead it seems to be have the same lame leather seats in an ugly color.

yep. same structure as the oem seats, just a logo and ultra seude. the oem lgt seats suck. the worse seats ever. why i did the sti ones. soooo many better.

Have you seen this? Would those help merge a S402 cluster? *crossing fingers for this

nope. doesn't have the push start and all wires have been cut from the main harness. there are other wires off the main s402 harness that are need. they were lazy and just cut what they could see. if they pulled the whole harness, then it might. but even with that, you don't know if this is off a sedan or wagon. harnesses are slightly different.

Did you convert to the push button start? or is that not possible on the usdm 4th gen?

nope. it's possible, but making a nuclear warhead would be easier. kidding aside, i looked in to it, but stopped when i discovered that I'd have to custom make a trim piece to house the push start. push start was only on the s402, which was RHD. So I'd have to make a "flipped" LHD trim piece, or hack up the usdm trim. I'm not a fan of hacking. i think the brz 2017+ push start backend would work, but the ecu and immobilizer on the lgt would be the issue. probably more issues.