LegacyGT.com

s402 BP5 replica

here is the qtr. why the dog leg repair isn't the solution. there is more hidden rust that can't be fixed with the dog leg. why you need to go all in or deal with hidden rust showing up at some point. going to scope the other side to see how bad it is. probably do it too.

IMG_7497.thumb.jpg.8d253d0b8749e859701f91871823e00d.jpg

IMG_7498.jpg.d636296d2b2a582fae89d47a5a702fef.jpg

IMG_7499.jpg.9723a6d9d61dee10e655e4edf0b8c10c.jpg

Edited by 05MNLGT

wiring it up isn't the issue, it's the internals of the gauge that is different. 08 subaru changed the blueprint for how the legacy worked. valleylegacy and i mucked around for a month trying to get the 08 s402/tbsti cluster to work. as i recall we hit a wall with the body control unit. he ended up going with a 05 jdm Legacy TbSTI Gauge cluster which worked with reprogramming. that was 3 yrs ago and since then, i think I've found a way to get the 07 jdm tbsti cluster to work. but that's low on my list right now. 05 was a stand alone year, 06-07 changes were made and again in 08-09. it would have been great if the states got at least a specb gt sti wagon from subaru. the 05 was a crap can in the states. the bare minimum of whatever was boring. i think subaru could have introduced the specb gt sti wagon as a limited production run here in the state and would have made a killing.

This was a pain in the ass but I was able to go from pre facelift to post facelift cluster by copying key codes from the second IC chip in the pre facelift to the post facelift cluster. There are minor wiring differences in regards to airbag, HID auto level and one or two other wires but everything else works.

• 3 weeks later...
This was a pain in the ass but I was able to go from pre facelift to post facelift cluster by copying key codes from the second IC chip in the pre facelift to the post facelift cluster. There are minor wiring differences in regards to airbag, HID auto level and one or two other wires but everything else works.

it's possible to do with 2006+ LGT Spec-b JDM. It's the USDM LGT, the wiring is different. your car isn't an apples to apples comparison to the USDM. For people here in the US, you can do a 2007 TBSTI MT cluster with some lite wiring in a 2005 LGT, but not th 2008 s402/TBSTI. I believe it's possible to do a 2008 JDM MT (non-s402/TBSTI) cluster in a USDM 08 spec B. the wiring looks right, but not 100%.

I've attached a photo of the TBSTI 07 cluster. It has no STI logo.

cluster.jpg.39315507d78034987f3045c509dc6849.jpg

Edited by 05MNLGT

bought rare s402/tbsti rear backing plates. will rebuild and powder coat. comes with the rotors and pads, which is nice. these plates have mounting holes for the brembos vs stock calipers, so no adapters needed. that should complete the s402 brake and suspension build. these plates are extremely rare, expensive and was not available in the US.

IMG_7703.jpg.e4800bf079007d2fa738587217aca1a6.jpg

Edited by 05MNLGT

snagged another one of the center speaker. this one is in really good shape. mine is scratched from the install and the speaker is in rough shape. also comes with the wiring to the unit, which is nice. since i'm going to remove the front windshield and install a new dash, it should be easy to install it vs when everything is in. The plate has to be heated to counter bend it. JDM dashes have the opposite shape. Unless Madrig wants to clone it flipped for me to work on the USDM dash? I have a second speaker plate.

IMG_7705.jpg.ef503168e31411af4860726b1577aa76.jpg

it's possible to do with 2006+ LGT Spec-b JDM. It's the USDM LGT, the wiring is different. your car isn't an apples to apples comparison to the USDM. For people here in the US, you can do a 2007 TBSTI MT cluster with some lite wiring in a 2005 LGT, but not th 2008 s402/TBSTI. I believe it's possible to do a 2008 JDM MT (non-s402/TBSTI) cluster in a USDM 08 spec B. the wiring looks right, but not 100%.

That is the cluster style my car originally came with. I swapped it over to the newer one. I wasn't tracking the USDM wiring to be significantly different. The FSM I used only differentiated between Normal and Mid Combination meter and not by LHD/RHD as it usually does. It was also in English, not the Japanese FSM.

Your build is looking pretty solid. The only S402 items in my car are the red console lights. I have a new set of S402 bilsteins with the coils to match that I hope to install by December. Just waiting on one last part before I can press play.

Those are pre-face lift clusters. Will be 2005 clocks. The 2006 model had the STI logo and the digital display incorporated into them.

progress made. panel fit beautifully. sand blasted the inside of body sill in the rear then treated. after thanksgiving will weld into place. need to scope the other side to see if it's bad. chances are i'll have to replace it too. going through everything on the wagon replacing as much as possible. Hoping to have the most authentic WRB s402 in north america, short of importing one in 6 years.

should be done in march as of right now.

1.thumb.jpg.110f8e4e4b64904eba80c20ee6231e34.jpg

Edited by 05MNLGT

So what’s the deal with the center dash speaker? Is it like an oem hands free phone set up?

nope. it's just stereo option that never came to the states. Some BP5/BL5 models in JPN came with the McIntosh high-end, 9 speaker + rear bass speaker

system with amp. Center (1), mirrors (2), door handle (2), lower front (2), second row doors (2) and rear (1). Not many know about the system, just fun to try to replicate it to keep it authentic.

You can use JDM stereo or a double dins in USDM LGT, but they have a slight angle to them since they are RHD. 97% fit. I have one from Russia, which is LHD, but a McIntosh unit. There are so many little things to these LGT. Takes years to learn about them and even longer to get the parts. New owners have no clue about all the little stuff the LGT USDM didn't come with. But when you see one that's done right, details, details, it's a masterpiece.

nope. it's just stereo option that never came to the states. Some BP5/BL5 models in JPN came with the McIntosh high-end, 9 speaker + rear bass speaker

system with amp. Center (1), mirrors (2), door handle (2), lower front (2), second row doors (2) and rear (1). Not many know about the system, just fun to try to replicate it to keep it authentic.

You can use JDM stereo or a double dins in USDM LGT, but they have a slight angle to them since they are RHD. 97% fit. I have one from Russia, which is LHD, but a McIntosh unit. There are so many little things to these LGT. Takes years to learn about them and even longer to get the parts. New owners have no clue about all the little stuff the LGT USDM didn't come with. But when you see one that's done right, details, details, it's a masterpiece.

Great info thanks 05MNLGT! That’d be nice to have a mic there like newer models but I don’t think I’d want to sacrifice my dash for that. The McIntosh system sounds nice…I think for my purposes I’d add a double din with upgraded speakers. And you’re right after two years of ownership I’m still finding out how the rest of the world got way more than we ever did….:lol::rolleyes:

Even as is it’s still one of the nicest cars I’ve owned…and most fun.

Edited by SoobyDoobyDoo

• 2 weeks later...
Great info thanks 05MNLGT! That’d be nice to have a mic there like newer models but I don’t think I’d want to sacrifice my dash for that. The McIntosh system sounds nice…I think for my purposes I’d add a double din with upgraded speakers. And you’re right after two years of ownership I’m still finding out how the rest of the world got way more than we ever did….:lol::rolleyes:

Even as is it’s still one of the nicest cars I’ve owned…and most fun.

ha. have a handfree system in the AMG and had it deactivated. my cars are my sanctuary from the world. don't want to call/answer any one when I'm driving.

got the s402 backing plates. broke them down. surprisingly the parts were in great shape. going to blast the plates.

the difference between these s402/tbsti and USDM rear backing plates is the mounting holes. they are closer together than the USDM holes. most people use adapters to run the rear brembos and use a modified rotor. these jdm plates are hard to find and there a lot of people in JPN selling standard plates as tbsti/s402 plates. and they've become expensive.

I'll be selling my adapters and rotors once these are on.

IMG_7804.thumb.jpg.7a5db409581087c71ab5534a807b5608.jpg

IMG_7814.thumb.jpg.8c9add7fdc17d5d421b2d91152c2223c.jpg

1 hour in the fight chair blasting this. will do the other one tomorrow. powder coating is friday. will be doing the BRZ roll bar and these backing plates at the same time. going with flat black.

even sand down the imperfection in the metal from the mold that no one will ever see.

D-AA97-09CA201D0179.thumb.jpg.4ed6b6e57fcf04a95710b3d0a9e11817.jpg

Edited by 05MNLGT

had some other entertaining shots. doing a half cut panel replacement. to do a full panel replacement, I would destroy the roof in the process. much simpler to do it this way.

160719891_ScreenShot2021-12-01at5_42_40PM.png.e83aea8a28e6cb70846ce813e1b06013.png

IMG_7737.thumb.jpg.a0c7ef54a9a35cdd58d86e06d2b9171f.jpg

Edited by 05MNLGT

1 hour in the fight chair blasting this.

I've been there before, not a fun job. I had access to my old companies sand blaster they used to clean old solid axles (so massive chamber) but works like a charm with the right media and comes out beautiful

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

I've been there before, not a fun job. I had access to my old companies sand blaster they used to clean old solid axles (so massive chamber) but works like a charm with the right media and comes out beautiful

couldn't agree more. first 5 minutes is a blast (pun), last 55mins is a royal pain. with these backing plates, they use a type of JB weld for the cable pass through slide to hold it in place. i've found JB weld is ok, if you hit it too hard with the sand, it goes and it looks like no fun to fix.

got the s402 backing plates. broke them down. surprisingly the parts were in great shape. going to blast the plates.

the difference between these s402/tbsti and USDM rear backing plates is the mounting holes. they are closer together than the USDM holes. most people use adapters to run the rear brembos and use a modified rotor. these jdm plates are hard to find and there a lot of people in JPN selling standard plates as tbsti/s402 plates. and they've become expensive.

I'll be selling my adapters and rotors once these are on.

So the mystery solved. I've been wondering how they solved the mounting issue. That's really a limited run part - just TbSTI and S402. Hmmm, makes me wonder if S401 also shared it. The rear trailing arms on the 3rd gen are same or very similar design IIRC.

Part number for those plates are ST2629021000 for reference. They sometimes make parts on and off for the S402 and tbSTI, mostly mechanical. I was able to score a new parts by continually placing orders to signal demand for a rerun.

Part number for those plates are ST2629021000 for reference. They sometimes make parts on and off for the S402 and tbSTI, mostly mechanical. I was able to score a new parts by continually placing orders to signal demand for a rerun.

again, in the US we can't order parts that start with ST if they didn't come on a USDM nodel. Since the these backing plates were from an JPN STI model, our dealers parts can't order. Some high demand JPN STI parts (like springs) can be bought from online site like RHDjapan and others. For the most part, the united states automakers federation (whatever their name is) has screwed us.

Also the other element to these backing plates is the brake shoes. They don't use the LGT brake shoes because the rotors are a different size. I've ordered some shoes from several USDM subaru models to see which ones work. The brembo package never came on any of the USDM BP/BL LGT.