LegacyGT.com

s402 BP5 replica

Any reason for doing a whole quarter instead of just the dog leg wheel arch? I'm not sure what the actual section recommendations are on the quarter but I know you can get replacement dog legs, probably aftermarket I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did the dog leg repair (SubSaver). Didn't like it, not for my build at least. Felt too frankenstein-ish for me. Plus, if you're going to do a time consuming paint job (again), I want to make sure ALL the rust is gone.

• 1 month later...

mint condition s402 steering wheel. finally. s402 parts are getting harder and harder to find. glad i started 5 years ago. shipping prices have gone through the roof!!!

the s402 does not have cruise control. cruise control is not as common in JPN as the states.

I'll be putting my current wheel up for sale ($250) in a couple months. it's the 2014 sti red stitched. cruise it wired to work. radio control need an adaptor from radio to controller.

IMG_6039.JPG.01b08ca7a7b37753a9f40450fa09fde1.JPG

Edited by 05MNLGT

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

welp after a summer off from the wagon and putting 2 holes on the bmw 2002 block, time to start up the wagon build again.

list for 2022:

- finish the body work and paint

- bought jdm post headlights w/washers. old ones had leaks

- order new in the box post tail lights. old ones were crap.

- s402 steering wheel finally arrived. 3 months in a boat

- retune for pump gas to 330whp. may go back to oem

- wire and install headlight auto leveling

- install jdm horn. bought one for the BRZ too.

- finish wiring DRL

- finish wiring headlight washers to main windshield sprayers

- buy rear black power fold seats

- install jdm LGT speakers

stay tuned. starting work in two weeks

1813808620_ScreenShot2021-10-04at9_34_12PM.png.ce6730eac2dd6dbffa1abc4352bbda06.png

1124020522_ScreenShot2021-10-04at9_34_30PM.png.dbd5e8db2b08e84e002d8d9231ddd925.png

Edited by 05MNLGT

I still can't believe you can get these parts at all. Any import vendors I asked for s402 fenders say, "impossible"

not impossible. i never go through importers. importers are worthless for these kind of rare parts. importers keep rare parts to sell in JPN. bigger money there. You have to go to JPN or have friends there. I'm lucky because I have both options.

The bigger question is if they had it, would you paid the money to get parts? I have an extra set of s402 fenders and s402 lip if you want to buy. sell for what I paid. $2500 for the set of fenders and $2300 for the lip. prices are high because the shipping (pre-covid) was half of the cost. Now it has to be through the roof. My new post tails were $210 to ship. Bought for $85 from a dealer over there.

can find any part again on my s402 again. just need to be patient and wait for some stupid person to total their s402. It happens. Last year 3 s402 were totalled. This year there was only one. checked the s402 registry last time in JPN, 2019 and there was 319 registred. Might be more because some don't register because it cost some YEN. If i was a betting man, I would guess maybe 306 left. To start an s402 build now would be insane. When I started mine back in 2016, few in the US had heard of it. I had a jump start. Now it seems the whole world knows about them.

PM me parts your interested in and if I see them, I'll let you know. The only issue is you need to be ready to buy on the spot, early morning hours, like 2am. They go quick. People in JPN don't have to pay overseas shipping so their cost is cheap.

Edited by 05MNLGT

wait hold up...rear wagon power fold seats? I know that in markets outside the US, there were wagon rear seats that were recline-able, and had a lever in the trunk to fold them down. Is that feature powered? I figured there'd be springs always pushing the seat backs forward and they were only held upright by the latch

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

wait hold up...rear wagon power fold seats? I know that in markets outside the US, there were wagon rear seats that were recline-able, and had a lever in the trunk to fold them down. Is that feature powered? I figured there'd be springs always pushing the seat backs forward and they were only held upright by the latch

never seen or heard of levers in the back of LGT wagons for folding rear seat. But yes, outside of the US it is standard on 2008-2009 LGT wagons to have power fold rear seats. Super nice. In order to do it in the USDM LGT you have to swap out the rear interior; seats, side panels, pull cover and side L shaped flooring. The side panels are actually a little thicker in width then USDM to the handle power seats.

The biggest cost is shipping the rear seat. Big and heavy. Most of the rear seats come with the power and mechanics to fold seat, you just need to wire it up to the car is all. I'll post pictures as I have all the parts needed. Thanks NADA for making sure we get the most boring version of cars.

Also, no LGT in JPN comes with cruise control. It's a dealer option. There really is no point to cruise control in JPN. Why the right side of the s402 steering wheel is blank. Kicking around going back to the stalk cruise arm off the column to keep the s402 wheel stock looking.

Edited by 05MNLGT

I'm still amazed at all the power options and nice features that our 12-15yo cars got in Japan that never made it over to the US... (and a little sad)

makes my job so difficult doing JPN features on a USDM. Biggest headache it the auto headlight leveling. They used two sensors, one in the front fender and one in the rear well. All placement is inline with the headlights. Got everything i need, but the trick is how to wire it to make it work.

Yeah I've seen pictures of that before but are they motorized to fold (what if consider power fold) or is it just a remote lever for mechanically folding the seat. Don't ask me why I'm so curious. Likely hood of me buying a seat like that is slim but I'd be lying if I said this hasn't been on my wish list for a while now.

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

here i go. actually the inter metal is in really good shape. just the front lower arch has rust. glad i'm doing it vs a band-aid. i'll add more pics later of the panel.

1.jpg.233f54734c919467122371bda56ca74c.jpg

Edited by 05MNLGT

Nice. I managed keeping mine completely rust free. Mostly by not driving in winter... :rolleyes: Efffing salt :mad:

I'm in MN and have been driving winters for 10 yrs. The only rust spot is my fault for rolling the fender to tight in the pinch area, causing a crack and rust. Otherwise there was no rust anywhere else on the panel I pulled off. the other side is perfect. the good news is i'm moving 4 hrs south in feb. bad news is having to move the cars and the shop will suck.

So lesson for you all in hard climates, take super care to roll your fenders.

I'm still amazed at all the power options and nice features that our 12-15yo cars got in Japan that never made it over to the US... (and a little sad)

infosecdad you know i did the jdm/udm rear foglight control? now that's some fun at a stoplight or for that tailgater.