Jump to content
LegacyGT.com

s402 BP5 replica


05MNLGT

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
new oem hood insulator in the box. focusing in on getting new parts more than anything. talking with my jpn subaru contact. says subaru will be closing out production on more and more parts for the legacy this year. this has been accelerated by the global material shortage. They are shifting to making sure the newer cars are covered for parts.

imagejpeg_1.thumb.jpg.9f360c8f783f67ee7c6478776c35ebdf.jpg

Edited by 05MNLGT
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

the plan is to be done with it by end of august. was in a racing accident last month and had to have back surgery. lovely.

 

here is work before accident. oem tmic installed, jdm horn install (so nice), rear inner wheel well installed. Minor set back, tossed out the rear door column support so had to get a new one.

rear.thumb.jpg.79397d5a316cff7c96797371a7ddc19b.jpg

IMG_8970.jpg.8b092808aed00eef599acffc57ad5e5d.jpg

Edited by 05MNLGT
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
22 hours ago, SoobyDoobyDoo said:

You doing that yourself or a shop? Gaps look good just where they need to be…

doing it myself. have my best friend helping me when i get stuck. don't trust any shops for the level of detail required with this build. want to take my time. was tricky to get right, body contours distort the gap. lots of pushing, pulling, measuring and angle views. very happy with how it looks.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/5/2022 at 8:59 PM, 05MNLGT said:

doing it myself. have my best friend helping me when i get stuck. don't trust any shops for the level of detail required with this build. want to take my time. was tricky to get right, body contours distort the gap. lots of pushing, pulling, measuring and angle views. very happy with how it looks.

Amen to that. Hard to find a good, reliable shop these days, that’ll do quality work.  Esp for these cars, or nice older cars in general. Not like it used to be. I’ve got two 85s, wouldn’t dream of taking them to any local shops for much other than installing tires, even that’s a stretch. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

pulled the doors and fenders. sanded and blocked door. blows me away how many push dents happen on this car. not as bad as last time i painted, but always feel like I'm watching the car like a hawk.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Edited by 05MNLGT
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

this is a high level build. few understand the amount of detail, sweat, money and pain that goes into something like this. it's easy to take it to a shop and have the work done. can't stand that. shops cut corners and you'd never know. and if they dont, the over the top expensive. this will be my masterpiece, last true wagon. no one will ever make an affordable wagon like this for the US market. so sad.

IMG_0508.JPG

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, 05MNLGT said:

this is a high level build. few understand the amount of detail, sweat, money and pain that goes into something like this. it's easy to take it to a shop and have the work done. can't stand that. shops cut corners and you'd never know. and if they dont, the over the top expensive. this will be my masterpiece, last true wagon. no one will ever make an affordable wagon like this for the US market. so sad.

IMG_0508.JPG

The like button is woefully inadequate for this 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, 05MNLGT said:

this is a high level build. few understand the amount of detail, sweat, money and pain that goes into something like this. it's easy to take it to a shop and have the work done. can't stand that. shops cut corners and you'd never know. and if they dont, the over the top expensive. this will be my masterpiece, last true wagon. no one will ever make an affordable wagon like this for the US market. so sad.

IMG_0508.JPG

Even fewer know what this is or understand  it, or could appreciate it because of all the work, time, and money have been invested in it. Sad part is, most people (non-subaru enthusiasts) nowadays probably just see it as some old Subaru wagon. It’s an incredible machine, thanks for sharing with us. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

thanks folks. it is true, not many understand what I'm trying to do. i post here for those who truly know the details of this rare wagon. even the usdm 2005 lgt 2.5 wagon is rare. But then to try to build an s402 of the platform. I even question it some days. the fact that the rust didn't stop the build when most would have scrapped it. i couldn't. it's a journey and it's almost done.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tremendous amount of respect for the work you're putting in, big thumbs up!

You really hit the nail on the head here:

Quote

this is a high level build. few understand the amount of detail, sweat, money and pain that goes into something like this. it's easy to take it to a shop and have the work done. can't stand that. shops cut corners and you'd never know. and if they dont, the over the top expensive. this will be my masterpiece, last true wagon. no one will ever make an affordable wagon like this for the US market. so sad.

So true. SO TRUE! The world is going in the direction of more egg-shaped blobs to satisfy the masses and anything that so much as leans towards the enthusiast is wildly overpriced even before dealers mark it up. 

I consider the mid/late 2000's EFI cars my "golden era" of cars,. From a tuning perspective they're hard to beat, parts are generally available, and pretty well every modern creature comfort that I actually care about (take for example, in our 2018 Outback Touring) can be found on a BL/BP Legacy with the right package (e.g., dual climates) or simple mods (e.g., head unit with CarPlay) 

Hope to one day see your S402 replica in person! Truly a passion project, I absolutley love this kind of stuff. Hats off to you man, keep it up!

  • Like 5

My 2007 specB (full undercarriage & drivetrain refinish, every nut and bolt replaced, full engine rebuild/restore, glass-out respray, air ride, wide body, and more! All done by me, at home!)

Instagram: @bagriders_john for more Subarus (and also my wife and cat)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/6/2022 at 2:13 PM, 05MNLGT said:

thanks folks. it is true, not many understand what I'm trying to do. i post here for those who truly know the details of this rare wagon. even the usdm 2005 lgt 2.5 wagon is rare. But then to try to build an s402 of the platform. I even question it some days. the fact that the rust didn't stop the build when most would have scrapped it. i couldn't. it's a journey and it's almost done.

 

1FBA4086-BB1C-4410-B480-148CD8E19E04.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use