LegacyGT.com

What did you buy for your 5th gen today? - V3

Bought another friend for the driveway. Should've built my original 91 all along and not the 5thgen. Owell...

Nothing crazy on it. Hard to believe the body has 360k on it. Has a OEM+ built ej257 block to be installed. So the engine bay is bare bones currently.

I need heads for it and all supporting accessories. Probably go vf47 and 205heads. 7690fe98498b198db9c2c7bfea5ddbc2.jpgae4f2f1e05f1e5c2afce6ee3686a6b53.jpg0647efbee3ec168c3e52673d0767c440.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Noice! I've always had a soft spot for that series Legacy. I still remember the short take article on Car and Driver on the JDM turbo version. Made an impression on me for some reason.

On the topic of buying other gen Legacy's, I've been pretty quiet about it, but my 3.6R developed knock after my last track day in May. Only at 122k miles too, so it's been down for the last two months, which is why there hasn't been any updates regarding the Inferno Headers or Kakimoto Intake. That said, I found a 45k long block that I purchased, awaiting my shop to have a free Sunday to do the swap. Also, since I'm already going into debt for the swap, figured I might as well make it as good as I can short of a full build. I'm having them put it in with Kein hardened engine mounts, 19-row Setrab oil cooler, and 16-row Setrab trans cooler, since they are dealers for both brands. Also, once the swap is done, going to pull off the old oil pan and have them develop a baffled setup for it for track use safety.

And in the meantime, I picked up this cute lil dude. 2004 Legacy 25th Anniv Edition, bought at auction for $1650. Purchased with 125k miles on the clock, clean carfax, head gasket replaced under warranty by previous owner, all interior electronics working properly, nicely spec'd, even has Alpine head unit and spare tire. Body has some cosmetic rust that I'm not concerned about for a daily driver, and other than that, drives fantastically. Been having a lot of fun throwing around a lighter car than the 5th gen too. Really, really happy with my purchase, have some fun small changes coming for it to because I can't leave well enough alone lmao. :lol: So far, all I've done is change out the super hazed factory housings for some DNA Motoring clear sidemarker housings, along with LED lights in the full front end. Love the look refresh and the light output is much, much better.

jjOaIk7.jpg

s2CEFnv.jpg

iaCCmx2.jpg

UUNtuMa.jpg

u1KkdTY.jpg

xmJqqGP.jpg

That looks like a clean one! Sorry to hear about your 5th gen, hope it's up and running soon!

Bought another friend for the driveway. Should've built my original 91 all along and not the 5thgen. Owell...

Nothing crazy on it. Hard to believe the body has 360k on it. Has a OEM+ built ej257 block to be installed. So the engine bay is bare bones currently.

I need heads for it and all supporting accessories. Probably go vf47 and 205heads. 7690fe98498b198db9c2c7bfea5ddbc2.jpgae4f2f1e05f1e5c2afce6ee3686a6b53.jpg0647efbee3ec168c3e52673d0767c440.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

You like red cars.

I saw on FB Marketplace a 2011 Legacy GT that someone in NY was parting out. I messaged him, He had the carpet, wheels, side mirror, and radio connector I needed. He thought he might have the under tray. I message with him on Friday asking you the condition of the wheel. I specifically asked him about the tread depth and he said it was good. So I made plans to pick up the parts yesterday. I got an odd message about need to bring bricks to put the car up on. I put together some junk concrete slabs and old wood. Based on that, I decided to bring 10, 12, 13 and 14mm socket, cutter, pair screw drivers just in case.

I hit 2.5 hours of traffic, so it made for really long drive (just over 6 hours of driving) I get to the address and there is no entrance. I message the guy, he said he hasn't been to the shop in a while. So he gives me a different address, fortunately was only 5 minutes away, but that should have been a key of what I was getting into. I get to the shop that has about 10 junkyards car in the back. The 2011 Legacy GT was actually a 2010 LGT Premium. The tires are at the wear bars and wiped in the inside, so I wasn't going to buy them. The Wheels and tires was the key reason for me to take a trip Long island, NY. He offered to take off a few hundred, but I didn't need another set of GT wheels. The Legacy GT didn't have any mirrors. He did have a 2011 2.5i Legacy but it was also missing a mirror, the interior was pretty far apart and full of parts, I shift through the junk I thought I found the mirror only to release it is a passenger mirror. They did have 2010 Outback in the back lot, but he said that wasn't his car and they were going to fix it. At least the guy didn't seem shady. No under tray that I can find either. I had no idea I was going to have to pull the parts myself. Thank god, I brought my own tools. The driverside 2 doors were up against a trailer, so I could only open them up enough to crack them open. The passenger doors were up against the Outback and gave me a just enough room to squeeze inside the car. No big pieces could be taken out of the car. I had to dissemble the interior from inside which meant moving the seat, console around etc to lift up the carpet. It also isn't easy to disconnect a seat connector when you are sitting on it or reaching across the console. I did notice when moved around the shifter to remove the console that it had short throw shifter. I spent 2 hour there and was sweaty and tired at that point, so I decided I didn't want to jack the car up, support it and try grabbing the shifter assembly. My phone was nearly dead getting there. (My 2009 Outback doesn't have a carving port.) I had just enough battery to get myself back on the highway, good thing I have good memory, so I was able to figure out my way back from Long Island. It only 4 hours of driving to get back.

I left at 9:50a and was back at 10:45p with 2 stops and 2 food breaks, I probably spent an hour getting prepared and getting gas before I left as well. All that for a carpet and radio harness for one pin which I could gotten at junkyard around here.

Perrin Shifter Stop and Turbosmart Kompact. The DV is way overdue for a car that's been Stage 2 since the beginning.
Two solid purchases! I have both, too - really like the shift stop for getting rid of the play past 1st/2nd!

Not today, but last Monday a rock came off an Armada and smacked the windshield (original was replaced back in November because of a rock). Got it filled/fixed on Thursday. I think this town is trying to kill my car. [emoji1]1af6a359ce15a0ca989b76c1cc0db6e4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Front pads and rotors , passenger valve cover, timing chain seal, 6 plugs , 6 ignition coils, new fluids all around, visor led bulbs, flex section, 18” resonator , 400 cell cat, waste gate piping, 2-1 collector, a few band clamps.

Oh and a safety inspection failure [emoji28]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Got some black gloss vinyl drop from work to wrap the grill. Might wrap the B pillars if there is any left. I think I’m just going to wrap the wing on the grill and see what I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Got some black gloss vinyl drop from work to wrap the grill. Might wrap the B pillars if there is any left. I think I’m just going to wrap the wing on the grill and see what I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you're feeling savvy and have some material left over, why not take a whack at doing the area over the lower grille opening to mimic the JDM S-package front look. I did that to mine and it's honestly one of my favorite subtle mods that improves the look in a "you wouldn't know unless you know" type of way.

2tCzHaT.png

If you're feeling savvy and have some material left over, why not take a whack at doing the area over the lower grille opening to mimic the JDM S-package front look. I did that to mine and it's honestly one of my favorite subtle mods that improves the look in a "you wouldn't know unless you know" type of way.

2tCzHaT.png

I'm seriously thinking about that. Always wanted a way to get the JDM Sport lower grill look. Wonder if gloss black would look right for that area, or better as flat black?

Definitely gloss, blends in perfectly. Matte would look out of place there. The real one is the same plastic as the fog bezels, but on a silver car, gloss looks better. The gloss looks closer to the Gialla bezel (which is glossy carbon) or the Syms bezel (which is gloss black)and honestly just looks nicer than matte would. That said, I have a hatred for matte vinyl and think it looks trash no matter what the application lol.

GdrCs8K.png

RX2UO8S.jpg

Ee6uyiW.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally decided to fix the p1710 code on my 5eat, ordered the sensor and filter:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/284323471730

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/274548913479

Decided to pull the valve body and check if a generic hall effect sensor would fit, the one I ordered is too long for this location. So everything is covered for now, waiting on delivery.

To pull the valve body, had to take out all the black bolts and the two longer bolts under the filter. Hoping I remember that for the reassembly.

• 2 months later...

The sensor install was not fun for me, I drained atf and pulled the valve body 3 times.

So the colours of the original wiring didn't match the service manual or the new sensor. Had no idea what was plus minus or signal.

In the end I worked out that plus (orange/faded red) and minus (light green) went to the 6 pin red connector and the signal (purple) went to the 10 pin black connector.

Was able to read turbine speed sensor 2 via romraider logger and my tactrix able.

Also ended up forgetting to replace one nut on the valve body the first time and left a black bolt out the second time. Final attempt, no missing fasteners and a driveable car (for who knows how long).

If I could find a new valve body for a decent price, would have preferred that option from the start.

IMG_20220124_151809.thumb.jpg.30c2b2c4cdcc0229f8f3d9c8a9d1b0bd.jpg

Edited by moral hazard

• 2 weeks later...