LegacyGT.com

What did you buy for your 5th gen today? - V3

Thank you, I did not receive the grille yet so im not too sure of what it includes, but are we able to use the push pins and the bumper holes used with the OEM grill?

Yes to the push pins, but you will have to drill your own holes to line up with the push pin holes. I forgot about that part, I got my grille second hand. If you don't want to deal with that, than shop is worth it, but I still think $200 for drilling 6 holes and pulling a bumper is a bit much.

Picked these up for a good price, now to find some time to install!

My Teins stay in garage for half a year. Dont have time to install as well. It will be nice setup. I have edfc controller for it as well

My Teins stay in garage for half a year. Dont have time to install as well. It will be nice setup. I have edfc controller for it as well

Nice, I wish Koni had those controllers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to order soon! I'm just being cheap right now :lol:

came in yesterday and just by looking at it, do it. hopefully installing it this weekend, so we'll see. My friend has been slowly modding her GLI and was on the fence about ordering a cat back. not one to be outdone i ordered mine first and she ordered hers basically right after. car people are bad influences.

On my continual quest of self-enablement, I got Prova rear subframe collars from Black Hawk Japan. They are a common S2000 mod and I figured why not since I'll have the rear subframe off soon. I thought it was funny to see the writing on the grease in all Japanese with a "Made in USA" on it.

PXL_20220420_234316764.thumb.jpg.bc2707d0c56c98468d4a6a11925135a7.jpg

PXL_20220420_234259081.thumb.jpg.0a73e4119be2390f3caf0266dcac0b53.jpg

I'm thinking the caliper pistons are seized/beginning to lock up. Rather than spend an entire day trying to disassemble and rebuild, I'm thinking to just buy full replacements from TRQ: https://www.1aauto.com/subaru-saab-front-driver-and-passenger-side-2-piece-brake-caliper-set/i/1abcs00085?f=1457762&y=2013&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpImTBhCmARIsAKr58cw5sLFouJovSOc2BKrCWLxmsimGjHSgKR3DRU0GHWShipbeep9GCq8aAkYbEALw_wcB

LMK if you've had experience with these, or have other leads on replacements or LGT ones sitting around :) Probably will take this opportunity to spray them red too

Coming back to my radiator project, did some measurements a while back on the Golpher radiator that I'll be putting in my 3.6R, and it appears that the factory fans will definitely not fit with the thicker radiator, so I've been searching out a Mishimoto thin fan shroud, as Patrick verified in his post that it will fit (his radiator is the same thickness as mine). However, I absolutely did not want to pay the MSRP of $276, as I'm planning to ditch the Mishimoto fans and just use the shroud, and replace them with some SPAL fans. So I've been absolutely **scouring** the internet for a good deal one on, a coupon code, an open box special, something to save some money on what is essentially just a piece a metal for my purposes.

Well yesterday, I finally found a deal that was too sweet to pass up, so I bought this: Mishimoto 15 WRX radiator, Mishimoto Thin Fan Shroud, and Mishimoto Coolant Overflow tank, all lightly used and in great condition (needs a slight clean up and polish). The whole set for $350, $378 after shipping. The fan shroud I need, that coolant over flow tank was something I was going to buy in the future (appears it will fit 3.6R as well), and the radiator is in good enough condition to sell off. The coolant tank is MSRP $200, so I got all three for $100 LESS than what it would've cost me to buy just the shroud and tank new ($478), and this is a $380 radiator new, so I can likely sell that off for a couple hundred and recoup even more costs (and fund the SPAL fans). Glad I held out and waited for a deal, I think I scored big time.

(Seller's pictures, shipping this week)

EyaQRdR.png

jxJaox8.png

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

was perusing ebay and found a full, new in packaging, OEM interior illumination kit including the door sills and roof wiring splitter thingy and all that other fun stuff, add in the close to minty steering wheel i got and it should dress up the interior nicely.  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Scored a Setrab 12-row 2-pass ProLine Cooler for $100, brand new. This is normally a $500+ cooler. Going to us it as an ATF cooler, since I'm not currently having any issues with oil temp. This was my local shop's display model that apparently got ordered wrong by a former employee and they would have never had an application for it, so they let me have it for a stupid good deal. It's perfect size for the lower grille opening. 

image.thumb.jpeg.8f44aa9d501bec56d4fa51f9ba113890.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4eca05971477582390a74c342f65f581.jpeg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

New tires (Pirelli PZero All Season Plus) and new air filters... nothing exciting.  Next up will be an alignment (tire wear was very uniform, so not worried about it, just something I do every time we replace tires on a car)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I always seem to end up sharing my endeavors here before my socials and the Facebook group. Got a new wheel setup that I've been researching and planning for a while, and finally found deals good enough to take the plunge on. I always like to push the limits of what I know works and what I've seen done on this platform, and there's strong chance some of these numbers will raise a few eyebrows here, but you know me: I'm more than prepared to fully (over)explain. When you want to push the limits, it's always smartest to do it with a fair amount of planning and research rather than just jumping in headfirst. This will also give some insight into my research and calculating process for those less familiar with figuring out fitment and such.

This is going to be my new street wheel setup for the coming year: Full set of 2013 Porsche Panamera Rear Wheels 19x10, on Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS 285/30/19 Tires. 

S5eXFih.jpg

gVQT2bd.jpg

The first thing many of you might be asking is "How tf is all that going to fit?". Well, allow me to explain. I've wanted to run Porsche wheels on my car for a street setup for a while because I just think it'd be fun to have Porsche wheels on an H6, I've been wanting to bump back up to 19s for street use because I really like the look, and I've been wanting to bump to 10" wide for a while as well. The magic here lies in the offset of these wheels: +61. This is very uncommonly high offset, meaning these wheels will land in a very workable total offset when paired with an adapter, as these are 5x130 bolt pattern. A 20mm 5x130->5x100 adapter would land at a total offset of +41 and a 25mm(1 inch) adapter would land at +36, which is just about as perfectly as can be, and gives some flexibility to find what works best. 

An additional small note on the 2013 Panamera wheels is that as I mentioned, I went with 4x Rear wheels as I wanted 19x10 all around, but the Panamera is staggered from the factory. The fronts are a still pretty decent 19x9 +60, which would work for another 5th gen that likes the look of these wheels but doesn't want to go as aggressive as I am. 

Onto the reference comparisons. I used two main setups to compare and figure what I was going to do for this setup: my own current setup, and Stanford/ValkyrieHunter's current setup. I am current running 18x9.5 +43 on 255/40 tires, and Stan is running 18x10 +39 (+44 with 5mm spacer), on 265/35 tires. 

First I'll compare to Stan's setup as his is the more extreme of our two and the one that inspired me to pursue a 10" wide setup in the first place. I used specifically these 3 pictures to reference, along with what I know about his setup from talking with him. This is what 18x10 +39 on 265/35 fits like on a pretty decently lowered 5th gen. He is also running -1.8F/-1.5R for camber. 

oHxu2cG.png

KOtyFtx.png

1O1C5G6.png

Here is a comparison between my new setup and Stan's setup via Willtheyfit.com, comparing both between a 20mm adapter (+41) and a 25mm adapter (+36).

qltusSQ.png C8tOFHk.png

As you can see, 18x10 +39 and 19x10 +41 or +36 are millimeters apart from being essentially the same fitment as each other, obviously going down from 35 to 30 sidewall to account for the inch bigger diameter wheel. The 285/30/19 is going to be a touch more meaty and a touch less stretch, but overall very similar fitment. 

Additionally, I believe that Stan is actually ever so slightly lower than I am, and I currently run both more camber than him, and a fairly taller tire setup, and I fit just fine with room to spare. Here's a comparison between both of our cars and both of our current existing setups:

oHxu2cG.png

TTpoTdg.jpg

YUW1ECG.png

Onto my own existing setup and what I checked for comparison sake. My setup is 18x9.5 +43 on 255/40, and I am running -2.5F/-2.0R for camber. It's easiest to see on the oblique angle shots, but my setup actually leaves me more than a fair bit of visual room. My fenders are rolled virtually flat and pulled slightly as well. 

oDvROZ9.jpg

mPmZ1Nn.jpg

Here is a comparison of my new setup and my existing setup, comparing both between a 20mm adapter (+41) and a 25mm adapter (+36).

Klmmp03.png HJK2TIF.png

The new setup will be a shorter tire, and very closely mimic the differences between both mine and Stan's current setups. Obviously, I'd like to go with the most aggressive final fitment as I can, since I think that will look best, but at the end of the day, I'm going to go with what I can make *work* the best rather than just chasing numbers. As such, I've ordered a 20mm 5x130 71.5mm center bore to 5x100 56.1mm center bore adatper, and I'm going to get one tire mounted and test fit with both that adapter and an additional 5mm slip on adapter I have on hand, so I can see if 20mm or 25mm works best. 

Lastly - the tire choice. 285/30/19 is pretty chunky, and bigger than most would try to fit onto a 5th gen. So why did I go with these instead of 265/30/19 or 275/30/19? One word: price. I got this whole setup for an utterly *stupid* deal. First, the wheels, obviously I got used, and was able to find 4 individual single wheels for sale, for roughly $460 total said and done for all the wheels. Second, the tires. Most of the 265/30 and 275/30 tires I were looking at would run between $800-$1000 for a set of 4. However, specifically the 285/30/18 Potenza RE980AS's were on clearance for an absurdly low price: [b]$124 PER TIRE[/b]. Also, in contradiction to what I said early about chasing numbers, I'd be remiss if I said there was a part of me that would be excited to say "yeah I'm on a 285 tire on a 10" wide wheel on my Legacy" lmao. So said and done, the 4 tires delivered to my house for around $550 total. So that's a 19x10 setup on chunky 285/30 tire, for only a hair of $1000 total. Utterly stupid as I said. Even with the roughly $200 I'll be spending on custom adapters, and $300-$400 for powder coating, and however much for mount and balance, I'm still into this setup only around $1600 total or so. 

Very, very last thing - in an ironic timing, in the Facebook group "OEM Wheels on Other Makes and Models", at virtually the exact same time that I pressed "buy" on my wheel orders on ebay, a VW wagon posted their new setup with the very same wheels in that group, though then went with the factory staggered 9" fronts/10" rears, and a much more stretched tire than I am (215/35 fronts, 225/35 rears). Even still, the timing was silly, and it gave me a really good visual reference for seeing these wheels on something other than the Panamera they came on. 

tl;dr - I got big new wheels and I'm hella excited about it. 

SF4DMgs.png

9JMFvuo.png

J7u7En9.png

Edited by Humble Rumble
  • Like 8

^ Love it. Here I am pumped that I was able to find some of the pretty mint previous gen WRX 5x100 wheels with winters on them for $500 bucks 😆

Cleaned up:

20230107_130742.thumb.jpg.f92126bd091bf127e5218be7b038864b.jpg

Installed:

20230107_161752.thumb.jpg.d4fa45e29dda85c82d02ab28baeb45b9.jpg

Looks way better than stocks.. I may have to put my all season rubber on these after winter is up and use the stocks as winters moving forward :) 

I also bought a magnaflow 4 inch muffler that got installed on my muffler deleted nameless axleback. Was a bit too loud/droany.. more mild but still noticeable now.

20230107_155356.thumb.jpg.204d6dd3ac7a459a7674eb5d6c8ab02e.jpg

• Like 3

Not sure where to put this, but a member on the Outback forum has a set of Nameless Axlebacks (5" mufflers) with straight tips that fit the Legacy. Posting a link didn't meet the "For Sale" rules. Looks like he is in Cincinnati, Ohio.

https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/fs-2010-2014-outback-3-6r-nameless-performance-exhaust-w-mufflers-please-read.549300/

Edited by Falcor
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Did not buy yet, but I want to replace the clear cover of my headlights since they are pretty beat up and foggy. I saw these ones on Aliexpress for $64 for both. Has anyone purchased them before? I also saw a few on EBAY, but $86/ side. If someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Thanks

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803282863929.html?pdp_npi=2%40dis!USD!US %2444.88!%2435.90!!!!!%402103364716758843296343455e0e7d!12000025926089996!btf&_t=pvid%3Acd5330ab-9928-4a4f-80d8-f7b465310d0d&afTraceInfo=1005003469178681__pc__pcBridgePPC__xxxxxx__1675884329&spm=a2g0o.ppclist.product.mainProduct&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

7 minutes ago, Niko0422 said:

Did not buy yet, but I want to replace the clear cover of my headlights since they are pretty beat up and foggy. I saw these ones on Aliexpress for $64 for both. Has anyone purchased them before? I also saw a few on EBAY, but $86/ side. If someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Thanks

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803282863929.html?pdp_npi=2%40dis!USD!US %2444.88!%2435.90!!!!!%402103364716758843296343455e0e7d!12000025926089996!btf&_t=pvid%3Acd5330ab-9928-4a4f-80d8-f7b465310d0d&afTraceInfo=1005003469178681__pc__pcBridgePPC__xxxxxx__1675884329&spm=a2g0o.ppclist.product.mainProduct&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

Skip them honestly. You'd be better off spending a bit less money on a decent headlight restoration (Meguiar's is good, I've had success with that before), or spending a bit more money on replacement housings from RockAuto. You can get a pair for a low as $260, and they'll be brand new. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/subaru,2014,legacy,3.6l+h6,3305965,body+&+lamp+assembly,headlamp+assembly,10762

With replacing the headlight lens, you'll have to bake your lights open, separate the butyl adhesive, then reapply new butyl which is an extra cost, which is a bit of a pain in the butt process to do. I've baked open my lights once before and it's definitely not a process I'm in a hurry to do again. Plus, Aliexpress is not exactly known for quality, and I promise the ones on eBay are the exact same ones coming from the exact same place. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Humble Rumble said:

Skip them honestly. You'd be better off spending a bit less money on a decent headlight restoration (Meguiar's is good, I've had success with that before), or spending a bit more money on replacement housings from RockAuto. You can get a pair for a low as $260, and they'll be brand new. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/subaru,2014,legacy,3.6l+h6,3305965,body+&+lamp+assembly,headlamp+assembly,10762

With replacing the headlight lens, you'll have to bake your lights open, separate the butyl adhesive, then reapply new butyl which is an extra cost, which is a bit of a pain in the butt process to do. I've baked open my lights once before and it's definitely not a process I'm in a hurry to do again. Plus, Aliexpress is not exactly known for quality, and I promise the ones on eBay are the exact same ones coming from the exact same place. 

I agree as well. Best bet would be to do the Meguiar's headlight cleaning solution, and then after they're clean use the Meguiar's headlight clear coat to protect it from the sun.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Niko0422 said:

Seen a few installed and spoken to the retrofitters who installed them.  They look decent and no complaints on fit so far.

The ones I saw installed were done by pros with a heat gun and were out of the car and back on in like 3 hours.  The actual removing of the old lenses and putting on the new ones were done pretty fast.  Yes as mentioned they replaced the sealant.

I'm not saying its easy but the pros sure make it seem that way lol!

• Like 1

Thank you all, I think I will try the Meguiar kit before anything . Saw some good result online. 

im also looking into the Red line goods steering wheel cover and it requires that I specify wether it is leather or plastic . I have the lowest trim of the 2.5i legacy 14 6mt , it looks like the wheel is plastic made to look like leather , can someone confirm this is correct ?

Got some goodies today >:)

Found out he had new struts put in less than 20k miles ago, so I decided to go with just lowering springs at least for now. Went with the teins because i’m a jdm nerd fanboy lol. I had 15mm spacers on the way too but they sent me the wrong thread size, so i gotta send em back and get new ones.

C5DC8AFA-0F38-41CD-9CB9-FC71693CC65C.jpeg

8D580CC3-3E0A-430A-80A0-FCDB3951621A.jpeg

• Like 2