LegacyGT.com

What did you buy for your 5th gen today? - V3

Rear DBA 4000 T3 slotted rotors to go with the fronts.

I was gonna wait till the rears wear out to get these, but I couldnt wait after seeing the fronts!

Will pair these with Stoptech Street Performance pads. Weird that these rears come with new caliper hardware but the fronts dont.

LaI2rtH.jpg

I'm finally going to give more love to my Legacy, Its front suspension has been moaning for a while.

Going to order;

From RockAuto.com, front lower control arms [included with ball-joints, should I use these though?]

$90 Shipped

Whiteline W0506 LCA front bushings. Waiting on a NASIOC member to reply back.

SuperPro SPF4865K LCA rear bushings (with 0.5 caster)

$110 Shipped on eBay

I believe auto-part stores will lend you press kit tools, but it might be easier just to run to a repair shop instead.

I'll be listing my old lower control arms up for sale once I swap it all out.

Edited by ibr_adam09

My serpentine belt has been squealing a lot since last weekend so I bought a new OEM belt. I was planning to install this weekend along with my Perrin light weight crank and water pump pulley, but after doing some research I’ve seen some people claiming that the lightweight pulleys can cause damage to the engine. I also found this video

Can anyone advise me whether I should install the Perrin pulleys or not?

My serpentine belt has been squealing a lot since last weekend so I bought a new OEM belt. I was planning to install this weekend along with my Perrin light weight crank and water pump pulley, but after doing some research I’ve seen some people claiming that the lightweight pulleys can cause damage to the engine. I also found this video

The biggest thing I took from that video. Is a tuner may need to adjust timing/firing in order to actually benefit/use using a lightweight crank pulley. Personally I have been advised against it. Even for looks.

I also asked Perrin the same question and provided them with the video, this was their answer

“Thanks for the question and keeping us in mind! Some of this video is accurate but some is not…

However! Adding a crank pulley does not do no more harm to the motor than any other performance part you add to the car, so you have nothing to worry about. We have been making the LCP since 2002/03 and have been on thousands of cars with hundreds of thousands miles driven, With not one issue of motor failure or oil pump issues because of it.

The reason why you should have nothing to worry about is because Subaru motors are very balanced motors with a really short crank shaft, so there is really not much to balance. Reason why people think there could be an issue, is because they think the Subaru motor is like a V8 or 6 cylinder, where they have a really long crank that needs a harmonic balancer or Dampener.

I hope this helps you out, please let me know if you have any more questions or how I can help you further.

Thank you!”

Good timing I am having the same debate need to change my belt too. lol if you do it I'll do it :lol:

Good timing I am having the same debate need to change my belt too. lol if you do it I'll do it :lol:

:lol: I don’t think I’ll be doing it , I don’t feel comfortable with the agreement/disagreement I’ve seen on whether it’ll be harmful or not

The real problems come when you couple a LWCP with a lightened flywheel. You'll be fine with a LWCP. And you only have a 2.5i, not a GT with high cylinder pressures (because turbo) exerting a lot of pressure on the rod and crank bearings. Edited by GTEASER

I had a LWCP on my '12 2.5i for around 60k miles and sold the car with it on. I think it will be fine. Maybe it is not ideal but I know plenty of owners who have had them on other cars for many miles.

It really doesn't do all that much though. I tried before and after with my G-Tech and didn't notice any measurable difference in peak G forces. The only think I seem to notice was that it was was initially more responsive in 1st and 2nd gear. Even though it fit my GT, I didn't bother swapping it.

The real problems come when you couple a LWCP with a lightened flywheel. You'll be fine with a LWCP. And you only have a 2.5i, not a GT with high cylinder pressures (because turbo) exerting a lot of pressure on the rod and crank bearings.

So what is the sentiment on LWCP for the GT guys & gals? I don't have a light weight flywheel.

I've been advised not to do a LW pulley before because they don't do anything worthwhile for the $$, but some do look pretty. I have an ACT lightweight FW. No issues here. Just have to be a little quicker at shifting since the rpms want to drop more rapidly. I believe the the OEM FW is also a heavier dual mass, so some people swap it to a single mass. I think you'll also need a different set of FW bolts if you do this. Edited by ibr_adam09

So what is the sentiment on LWCP for the GT guys & gals? I don't have a light weight flywheel.

I don't think there is an option. Correct me if I'm wrong....

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a shift plate. I have narrowed it down to Boomba or Cobb. I like the Boomba because of the extra weight, and the Cobb because, well...it's Cobb, and it is 5% shorter (not sure how much difference that will make). Cobb is about $95 and the Boomba is $85.50 with the memorial day discount. Edited by Falcor

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a shift plate. I have narrowed it down to Boomba or Cobb. I like the Boomba because of the extra weight, and the Cobb because, well...it's Cobb, and it is 5% shorter (not sure how much difference that will make). They are both right about $95 unless I can find a memorial day discount somewhere.

I vote Boomba! $85 shipped here

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Boomba-Short-Throw-Shifter-Transmission-Plate-Bracket-for-15-18-Subaru-WRX-STI/282674576929?hash=item41d0b7be21:g:AcAAAOSwSQFaC87B:sc:USPSPriority!85716!US!-1

I don't think there is an option. Correct me if I'm wrong....

Actually I found the following options:

https://www.greatnorthperformance.com/product-page/2010-2012-legacy-lightweight-crank-pulley

or

https://www.greatnorthperformance.com/product-page/2012-17-lightweight-crank-pulley

But for use with -2010-2012 Legacy GT must be used with Subaru part number 12339AA010 (some adapter)

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a shift plate. I have narrowed it down to Boomba or Cobb. I like the Boomba because of the extra weight, and the Cobb because, well...it's Cobb, and it is 5% shorter (not sure how much difference that will make). Cobb is about $95 and the Boomba is $85.50 with the memorial day discount.

Boomba FTW. 5% is a rounding error, so why pay extra for the Cobb sticker?

Boomba FTW. 5% is a rounding error, so why pay extra for the Cobb sticker?

Good point. I already have a couple of those from the AccessPort. :lol:

Decided on the Boomba plate. Just placed the order.

Edited by Falcor

I got the Kartboy short shift plate. They claim 38% reduction in shift length and the Boomba claims 30% reduction. I didn't use the bearing that came with it and paired it with the Perrin bushing instead. I like the setup a lot, but only have the stock setup to compare it to.