LegacyGT.com

05 Legacy BP5 GT Limited - 07 JDM BP5 Legacy Tuned By STI conversion project

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How am I just seeing this? Thanks for documenting this whole thing. It looks like this is the shop I'll use when I move to LA. I'll be doing some JDM swapping in the next year or so, so it's good to see there's a shop that's done the work.

Yes if you go to AQ Motorsports be sure to tell Abraham or Adan that I referred you. He will hook you up with a great rate and quality work.

Man, the delays never stop. Now it's looking like the 29th that it will be picked up from the shop and shipped to my mechanic/tuner for some more work.

ALL GREAT THING S COME TO THOSE WHO WAIT[emoji102] [emoji106]

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

The pink springs are 7.6k? I didn't know they were that stiff, I thought they were in the 200-300 lb range.

Well we also have to take in account that the 06, 07 JDM TBSTI Bilsteins and the 08 JDM S402 Bilsteins are valved so differently compared to the USDM SPEC B. I've been continuing to dig deep and researching the specs on the Bilsteins for those cars has been difficult. I've only been able to retrieve the data on the 06 JDM TBSTI Bilsteins which is:

Front: 1,650/1,000(N/mm) = 1650 kg / s2

Rear: 1,800/900(N/mm) = 2000 kg / s2

THE 08 JDM S402 Wagon is the heaviest of the BL/BP trims at 1520kg curb weight. Which is roughly 3350lbs. Maybe that explains the stiffer springs used.

I got a price for the S402 Wagon Bilsteins and it's a very temping thing but just can't justify the price. So I will stick with the used 06 TBSTI Bilsteins that I have.

Can you share where you got the 7.6k rates from? If I knew they were that stiff I would consider those as well, the bilstein/pink setup was my favorite on my spec.b

This site is saying 257/lbs (4.5k) for the fronts and 217 (4k) for the rear.

https://www.edoperformance.com/products/sti-pink-springs-front-rear-05-legacy-gt-at

ps: those seats look amazing!

Can you share where you got the 7.6k rates from? If I knew they were that stiff I would consider those as well, the bilstein/pink setup was my favorite on my spec.b

https://www.edoperformance.com/products/sti-pink-springs-front-rear-05-legacy-gt-at

The data was from STI of Japan itself. Subaru of Japan and STI are believe it or not actually separate entities. When I spoke to Subaru of Japan about rates for the springs on the S402 and TBSTI models, they had no clue. I had to be referred to STI to get the data. Then at STI they were very secretive as well.

The part numbers for the S402 Wagon springs I purchased are completely different from any of the part numbers people know of for JDM pinks and they are not the same rating.

The link you provided has the part numbers for the JDM pinks for the older first series of revisions which are meant for the 03-05 JDM legacy and Spec B models which had much lower spring rates.

The part numbers on the link from EDO are ST2038021010/ST2033021000

The part numbers for the S402 Wagon Springs are:

ST2033021090

ST2038021110

completely different springs.

Thank you for the compliments btw. I'll continue to update this as the car is finished!

One other thing to consider is that the Bilsteins for the 06,07 Tuned By STI and 08 S402 are completely different in the way they are valved compared to the 07,08,09 USDM SPEC B. The JDM pinks wold probably not be best suited for the USDM SPEC B struts as there are huge differences in the valving.

These are the inner fender wall under covers that protect your front cross member area/steering rack. Love these JDM pieces.

JDM Legacy Inner Fender wall undercovers.

Part Numbers - 56440AG070, 56440AG081

35658552191_e32265a60e_h.jpg

34980313843_eda6ad958a_h.jpg

Edited by valleylegacy

Fascinating, thanks for sharing! The S402 suspension sounds ideal, are those springs also progressive or more linear? Are they the same height as the other pink springs?

The only reason I went from my bilstein/STI pink setup was cuz i wanted stiffer. Had I known of this S402 option I would have probably gone for that.

Thanks again for your thorough documentation, always fun to learn more about these cars! Amazing to see this built from the ground up.

The data was from STI of Japan itself. Subaru of Japan and STI are believe it or not actually separate entities. When I spoke to Subaru of Japan about rates for the springs on the S402 and TBSTI models, they had no clue. I had to be referred to STI to get the data. Then at STI they were very secretive as well.

The part numbers for the S402 Wagon springs I purchased are completely different from any of the part numbers people know of for JDM pinks and they are not the same rating.

The link you provided has the part numbers for the JDM pinks for the older first series of revisions which are meant for the 03-05 JDM legacy and Spec B models which had much lower spring rates.

The part numbers on the link from EDO are ST2038021010/ST2033021000

The part numbers for the S402 Wagon Springs are:

ST2033021090

ST2038021110

completely different springs.

Thank you for the compliments btw. I'll continue to update this as the car is finished!

Fascinating, thanks for sharing! The S402 suspension sounds ideal, are those springs also progressive or more linear? Are they the same height as the other pink springs?

The only reason I went from my bilstein/STI pink setup was cuz i wanted stiffer. Had I known of this S402 option I would have probably gone for that.

Thanks again for your thorough documentation, always fun to learn more about these cars! Amazing to see this built from the ground up.

I agree with you the JDM Bilsteins and S402 / TBSTI pinks are much better than the USDM stuff.

The ride height on the S402 Sedan is higher than the S402 Wagon. I don't know what accounts for that other than the S402 Sedan springs are not the same as the S402 Wagon ones.