LegacyGT.com

05 Legacy BP5 GT Limited - 07 JDM BP5 Legacy Tuned By STI conversion project

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah for my full color change paint including engine bay I'll be closer to $7500-8000 when they finish the front end. This is not for the faint of heart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Proper paint is not cheap but its so worth it.

Well Photobucket officially changed their terms and I cannot host pictures from their site any longer. Sucks. Any suggestions on free image hosting sites?

Damn, I'm going to have to go back and fix all these pictures.

Edited by valleylegacy

Well Photobucket officially changed their terms and I cannot host pictures from their site any longer. Sucks. Any suggestions on free image hosting sites?

I use Flickr. Easier on a computer than mobile but works pretty well.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

I use Flickr. Easier on a computer than mobile but works pretty well.

Really annoying, I should have changed from photobucket long ago. Now I have almost 700+ photos I have to switch over. Including getting this journal back in order. The car is finished and I can't post right now. It's going to take me a few hours to get this in order. Appreciate the patience peeps.

EDIT

Have you considered the entire s402 handling upgrade kit? My OCD buddy dropped the lot on his my08 tbsti wag. Albeit w/ bee r TI RS-R TI-2000 springs :p

Here's the car I'm referring to: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=34818,

more pics here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskXSPF4z

34685439173_33ec096894_z.jpg.ea56db529ce8d40a753929eb0009ad1e.jpg

34685488103_c212fb502f_z.jpg.7561844b3b433bd050a3dc1ebbd99aed.jpg

Edited by bigBADbenny

The suspense is killing me Valleylegacy, stop this madness and post up a few pics, lol

I will get to it. Apologies.

Tried to tune the car today and was unsuccessful. There are some engine issues that I have to clear up with the mechanic before it can get tuned.

Can't wait to see the paint job. Honestly, the anticipation is killer. The swp should be just right. Unicorn white. Definitely an inspiration for me to get moving on my acquisitions and installations. Quite the attention to detail.

35620459892_211bbd2207_b.jpg

I have been working on finishing her up everyday. There have been a few snags, finding parts installed incorrectly or missing screws and grommets but other than that the car looks and drives amazing. Going back to get another tune once the sensor issues are fixed. Turns out using the EJ20Y on the JDM ECU into a 05 USDM LGT engine harness required re-pinning certain things and now the AVCS isn't working on all 4 Cams. Hopefully it is a sensor issue. Also found the main 02 sensor not working as well as the barometric pressure sensor. The throttle control is hanging a bit at 20-30% when not open. So we have some issues to figure out. But here are long awaited pic of how she looks now. I completed putting on the front end and am still working on getting the rear finished.

34980313633_abdd5b7731_h.jpg

34980313503_1e789db5a8_h.jpg

35658551461_9062a690b1_h.jpg

34980313153_1061b7800e_h.jpg

34980312983_3b71f353ec_h.jpg

35658550721_bf954376a0_h.jpg

35420463800_bdc6fb5f74_h.jpg

35420463670_4062ebc22f_h.jpg

34980312493_526a496d01_h.jpg

35420462770_33fcf60b52_h.jpg

Edited by valleylegacy

The AVCS is now working on all 4 cams. I guess it was taking some time for the cams to get back to proper order after the engine sat for over 1 year without operation. We did replace the exhaust side oil solenoid, the tachometer is now working due to a loose connection. The MAP sensor however is faulty and needs to be replaced.

We also need to still diagnose the 02 sensor failure and the throttle hanging issue. There are some other minor things I need to get sorted out.

1. The turn signals blink faster than normal.

2. My windshield washers don't work in the INT position. Additionally they don't sweep in the one time clear action.

3. Think I might have a bad AC belt.

The AVCS is now working on all 4 cams. I guess it was taking some time for the cams to get back to proper order after the engine sat for over 1 year without operation. We did replace the exhaust side oil solenoid, the tachometer is now working due to a loose connection. The MAP sensor however is faulty and needs to be replaced.

We also need to still diagnose the 02 sensor failure and the throttle hanging issue. There are some other minor things I need to get sorted out.

1. The turn signals blink faster than normal.

2. My windshield washers don't work in the INT position. Additionally they don't sweep in the one time clear action.

3. Think I might have a bad AC belt.

for the turn signals, might be that the wattage is lower than expected and the turn signal relay is doing the "hyperflash" to tell you one is out. Are any of them LED?

Could test it out with a DiodeDynamics LED flasher relay (~$12 shipped i think). they can handle something like 150 watts, so as long as you don't have some crazy bulbs in there, the module can probably survive a test run.

I'm not sure if this is the one you'd need (as far as fitment):

https://www.diodedynamics.com/store/led-bulbs/listed-by-vehicle/subaru/outback/2005-2013-subaru-outback-led-turn-signal-flasher

alternatively, could pull a single bulb and see if it flashes even faster. then you'd know it was just a fast blink, rather than the relay thinking it was a bulb out.

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

for the turn signals, might be that the wattage is lower than expected and the turn signal relay is doing the "hyperflash" to tell you one is out. Are any of them LED?

Could test it out with a DiodeDynamics LED flasher relay (~$12 shipped i think). they can handle something like 150 watts, so as long as you don't have some crazy bulbs in there, the module can probably survive a test run.

I'm not sure if this is the one you'd need (as far as fitment):

https://www.diodedynamics.com/store/led-bulbs/listed-by-vehicle/subaru/outback/2005-2013-subaru-outback-led-turn-signal-flasher

alternatively, could pull a single bulb and see if it flashes even faster. then you'd know it was just a fast blink, rather than the relay thinking it was a bulb out.

Great notes. The front turn signals are definitely LED. I'll take them out and put in the OEM and see if it makes a difference.

Great notes. The front turn signals are definitely LED. I'll take them out and put in the OEM and see if it makes a difference.

can just get either the $10 dollar simple flasher relay, or the $60 fancy relay then. 150w should be enough to cover the incandescent bulbs you may have in the rear.

The side mirror flasher is always LED, so the rear is the only other location that might not be (front corners, mirror, and rear corners - for turn signal/flashers).

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

Replaced the A/F ratio sensor as it was faulty. Found the windshield wiper controls were faulty so replaced that and resolved the issue with non functional INT windshield operation.

All 4 AVCS are functional and working properly. We logged it and found that after the engine sits for a while it takes a moment to get the AVCS running smoothly again.

36028639085_9ecb8f3064_b.jpgIMG_9367%20by%20Arnold%20Chun,%20on%20Flickr"][/url]36028639085_9ecb8f3064_b.jpg

Checked the Barometric pressure sensor operation after re-calibration and seems to be working fine. Reading at 14.1

Tachometer is now working as we had a loose connection.

Edited by valleylegacy

Amazing build!

I was curious about your spring choices, currently do you have the Tuned by STI wagon pinks on the car or the Spec B wagon pinks and what kind of ride improvements do the s402 springs provide over the others?

Earlier in the thread you mention that you are running the revision F Bilsteins, are these needed because of the spring rate differences and something like the Bilsteins HDs wouldn’t work?

Hey there,

Currently I have on the 08 JDM Legacy Wagon Spec B Rev F Bilsteins with matching JDM REV F Spec B Wagon Springs. I am however using the S402/TBSTI rear bump stops + washers which I believe have made a huge improvement on the suspension travel. I have to say this set up currently is incredible on highways and surface streets with all the horrible conditions we have in Los Angeles. Our roads are really bad as we have poor budget allocated for repairs. Just in the 60 miles I put in to test it both highway 75+ speeds and surface at 35-50mph I was really impressed with now comfortable and firm the ride is. Mind you I have so many suspension improvements that are from the JDM cars. Pillowball rear lateral arms + the other cusco braces and such. I feel they all compliment the car really well.

The 06,07 Tuned By STI Sedan and Wagon use similar spring rates and I believe that is due to the revision they made from when they introduced the 06 Tuned by STI model and even from the 04-05 TBSTI that they introduced. The TBSTI springs are available to buy from Japanparts.com from the REV C model but the D-F are not listed for sale and are only special order direct through Subaru of Japan.

The 06 TBSTI Pink Springs were said to have 7.6K rates F/R from SOJ (Subaru of Japan). The 07 ones I don't know since I didn't ask nor did I have the part numbers to make an inquiry. The S402 Spring rates are also different based on the Bilstein Struts they operate on compared to the TBSTI model.

I purchased a set of S402 Springs which only come as a STI pink design and will be paring them with the 06 TBSTI Bilsteins and also use the S402 top hats to see the difference in ride and height compared to my current set up. I was told by SOJ that the valving of the TBSTI Bilsteins is only a very slight variation compared to the S402 Sedan/Wagon so I should have have a issue putting them together but there is a height difference I was told, which is fine for me as I don't want to go any lower.

The S402 Sedan is higher in ride height than the 06/07 TBSTI Sedan and the S402 Wagon also has a height difference compared to the 06/07 TBSTI Wagon.

Once I get the other set up installed and tested I'll put up my findings to that differences. Hope this answers your questions. Thank you for looking at my thread.