LegacyGT.com

NEW Nav firmware update 11-21-16 for 15 and 16 Legacy

Wanted to tell my story so that this doesn't happen to anybody else.

I updated my lady's 2015 Legacy with Nav to NU9020 yesterday, and had a scare.

Everything is fine now (The MPG in cluster is at 0, but I think a redo will fix it).

The first USB update failed, so i started over. The second time worked. Then I started the second USB update. It worked the first time, I checked the DB number. I thought I was done for a second but then I remembered to complete the update I needed to do the memory initialization, so I went to do that. I didn't read the instruction that mentions "Hold the Ok button for 5 seconds." So i clicked it once, and nothing happened. I clicked it again and it started the initialization then the screen shut off. "That's odd." I waited about 10 minutes in the 105 degree Cali heat. Then the lit buttons next to the screen shut off. Then 10 minutes later the dash lights went off. Strange... "Did the battey die?" I pressed the overhead light above me on to check. The light seemed very bright so I dismissed that Idea. I thought "Maybe because I didn't hold it for 5 seconds something went wrong?". So I waited another 10 minutess.. Finally I decided to shut the ACC off. When I turned ACC back on, everything came back on VERY slowly. The head unit kept turning on and off. Car wouldn't even try to start. I thought I bricked it. I spent 30 minutes trying to use the first USB to restore everything. I turned the ACC off and on with the USB drive in it flashing thinking maybe it would autodetect failure and restore itself from USB (As a Computer Science major, That seems like a good disaster recovery procedure.) 30 minutes later nothing. So I finally popped the hood and checked the battery and it was at 9.5 volts. :mad: *STUPID*

Please, for the love of god don't end up like me.

USE A CHARGER

I understand I am very VERY lucky that the battery died a few minutes after the updates, and not during.

I wasn't playing music, I didn't have lights on, no fans spinning, NOTHING. I thought for sure the battery wouldn't die. Especially with previous cars I've owned, I've often left interior lights on all night and the cars still started fine. Something about this car sucks battery fast, or my girl's battery is on it's way out. Who knows but please learn from my f***-up.

After jump starting, everything was updated and is working fine.

Thanks again to JDog!

Yeah, Subaru batteries are anemic — at least mine was in my 2015 Outback. Just replaced it today actually, with a beefier battery. It probably just needed some distilled water, but meh, since I had to deal with it at all, it was just as easy to replace it and gives me more peace of mind.

BTW, according to previous posts, you can just run the update with the engine running. No worrying about batteries OR heat.

Hey guys, anyone know if OU9310 is the latest version for the 2016 legacy with no nav?

I went to the dealer last week and told them my "bluetooth was freezing" and they installed OU9310. All my presets and everything were there after so I did a memory initialization. I've been trying to get mirrorlink working with no luck. I have a Samsung GS6 and a GS9+, both will display the mirrorlink screen on the phones but the mirrorlink button on the headunit will never light up. There are definitely mirrorlink certified apps on both and they both are running mirrorlink 1.1. Any ideas?

I updated my 2015 to OE9011 at the dealer (EU version), but still mirrorlink button remain grayed with my Galaxy S7 and also S5 (installed the LG mirrordrive).

My version should include the mirrorlink 1.1 but still not work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Just picked up an 2015 Outback Limited With Nav that is *just* off warranty so no HU updates at the dealer without $$$

My HU is a FB674CS currently on

Nor: NU9008

eSD :NU9008

I would really like to get Mirrorlink 1.1 a try, would anyone be able to hook me up with the update files? Would really appreciate it! typoboy@gmail.com

Cheers,

Typo

Looking to update my 15 legacy hu firmware.

Does anyone happen to have the files below?

NU9017_USB_1st.exe

NU9017_USB_2nd.exe

Please PM me I'd love to update as well!

You should try to request NU9020 version if you can get it... I unfortunately don't have it.. I had my dealer install it.

Has anyone ever had an issue with pressing home + volume 5 times just not working?

I can't seem to get into the diagnosticians screen at all. I have a 2016 legacy with no nav but if I just tap the "settings" but there is already an "Update" button on that screen - it doesn't recognize my 2gb fat-formatted usb sticks at all though.

I have a 2016 Outback 2.5 Premium, non-nav and am in desperate need of the update files. Link to download is dead, and that appears to have been the only place to have been able to download. I visited dealer today to have them do it, but they claimed that something is wrong with the head unit and it needs to be replaced. Would really like to try this myself before they go tearing my dash apart, creating rattles, etc... if anyone has the necessary files that they can send my way via a PM or email, I would sure appreciate it. BTW...we have an 18 Legacy too, so I’m not just hijacking the site being an OB owner and all ;-). Thanks a ton!

Hi Guys!

I've successfuly updated my MY16 USDM Outback with this files:

NU9312_USB_1st.exe

NU9312_USB_2nd.exe

TSB 15-205-16.pdf

They are up to date for MY16 Outback and Legacy with Navy.

I've got the files from Jdog81, thanks for him once more.

I place the files to my GoogleDisk. Who need it see the link below.

Good luck))

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10MWowyNeSi6SuE5bNzvztYtJaUKkO7u0?usp=sharing

I contacted SOA regarding updates not available anymore. Here’s the correspondence:

Up until earlier this year, firmware revisions were available to the owners at https://content.subarunet.com. That link appears to be dead now, and subarunet needs a login. Is there somewhere that owners can go to download current firmware revisions so we can install them into our vehicles on our own schedule? I am perfectly capable of doing these installs myself, similar to map data installations. Thank you much, and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Here’s the reply

Thank you for contacting Subaru of America Inc.

The address you have listed is an internal site and should not have been posted publically. Software updates must be completed at the authorized Subaru retailer.

I apologize for any inconvenience.

Should you require any additional assistance, please feel free to contact us at 800-782-2783.

Sincerely,

Martina Brown

Subaru of America, Inc.

Customer/Retailer Services Department

1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)

Here’s my reply:

Thank you for the reply. This makes no sense, unless software updates are free. I understand that while under warranty it would be, but how much is it for vehicles out of warranty? Let’s compare this to a personal computer. How do you think it would fly if you were told that, even after the warranty period, you had to take/pay for updates? I have computers, that I own, that are older and I keep the updates current. Why shouldn’t I be allowed to do the same with my car? If I screw up the install, then I am liable to get it fixed, at my expense. Please elevate this to whatever level it needs to go to for resolution. As a loyal Subaru owner I find this to be completely absurd. Thank you in advance.

I think we need to completely bombard SOA with complaints of not being able to do this ourselves.

I’m still looking for copies of OU9309_USB_1st.exe and OU9309_USB_2nd.exe should anyone have them to share. Thanks!!

"The address you have listed is an internal site and should not have been posted publically."

There you have the complete answer, in a nutshell.

Like it or not, it's Subaru's software and they can control access to it any way they choose. It certainly does no harm to ask SOA to change that policy, but don't hold your breath. "Bombarding SOA with complaints" is not likely to be productive.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Prugen...thanks. I have PM’d Jdog81. No reply. Can only assume that he/she does not have those files.

Ammcinnis... appreciate the words, and I understand/agree (kind of). I’m more frustrated with the process. With a safety recall, I’m notified. With service bulletins, like this, there’s no notification process. I understand that the dealer may or may not check for these open campaigns when the vehicle is brought in maintenance. I don’t use the dealership unless I absolutely have to. I do most all of my own maintenance. I’ve had too many experiences of having an oil change done and getting home only to find that someone had spilled oil all over the engine and didn’t bother to clean it up. I get that it’s their software...just like Windows or Mac. They still provide updates, free of charge, to keep their machines running as well as possible (usually). Like I said...frustrated with the processes in place. I appreciate your input.

Like I said...frustrated with the processes in place.

Hopefully some day we'll have over the air updates. Park your car in the garage, it connects to your home wifi and updates itself as appropriate.

I'm sure the tech to do that is already here. It's the reliability and recovery if it fails that will need to be rock solid. No one wants to get their car towed to the dealer because their car decided to update itself overnight and something failed.

The thing with your windows/mac or phone is you drive it to the nearest store for them to work on it and don't ask them for gas money or a spare phone while they looked at it... However most people would expect the auto manufacturer to cover for towing and a rental.

My wife’s 18 Legacy connects to our WiFi. Not sure what it updates though. I still have to download map data for the nav to a usb and install it manually. But I can. My pc/mac/iphone/iPad...I ask it to check for updates from home and decide if I want to install them or not.

Prugen...thanks. I have PM’d Jdog81. No reply. Can only assume that he/she does not have those files.

I also hadn't any reply from him, but a few days later I've got the links to the files to my email. And it was without any comments)). Just wait awhile.