LegacyGT.com

NEW Nav firmware update 11-21-16 for 15 and 16 Legacy

I have OU9309 and OU9310 - can I reload these on my radio and go back to older software and hopefully remove the current Sirius XM issue?

Even if possible, that's not likely to work. Subaru didn't change, SXM did.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

For those of you trying to get updates for Nav, are you trying to get firmware updates or map updates? If it’s the later, you can do this yourself at home. Subaru map updates dot com (all one word for first part). Download the map updater and follow directions. I’ve updated my wife’s 18 Legacy twice now. It’s pretty easy. I seem to remember it giving me the warning about 7 hours, but it’s never even come close. Forty minutes tops. I didn’t purchase anything extra for the map updates (that I know of) and the system says that I am good for updates until like 2022.

I currently have NU9312 on my 2016 Outback 3.6 Limited and have the SiriusXM list issues many others have described. Today (Jan 4, 2019) I received the below email from Subaru USA . . .

"Thank you for contacting Subaru of America Inc.

The update became available earlier this week. The retailer can now resolve this concern for you.

Should you require any additional assistance, please feel free to contact us at 800-782-2783."

Has anyone seen or gotten their hands on this latest firmware release? If so please share it with me. Thank You.

I called Subaru of America, Inc. today about the issue with my 2016 Legacy Premium (Fujitsu 7” Display Audio Unit without Navigation) and SiriusXM Radio described in numerous posts above (list function not working). I was told that SiriusXM added channels and it caused issues with numerous vehicle manufacturers including Subaru. I was also told that SiriusXM was supposed to supply Subaru with a fix that Subaru would package in a new firmware. She was very aware of the issue but could not find where any fix had been provided by SiriusXM or that Subaru had released updated firmware. I asked her what is the latest firmware for my radio, but she was unable to tell me what the latest firmware was for my vehicle/radio. I was told call back in a few weeks and maybe they might have more info. It was a frustrating call for me.

Does anyone have any further information on the latest firmware - 2016 Subaru Legacy Premium with Fujitsu 7” Display Audio Unit without Navigation? I am currently on OU9311 firmware. My dealer has no updates either as of today. Thanks!

Edited by scarzy19

I called Subaru of America, Inc. today about the issue with my 2016 Legacy Premium (Fujitsu 7” Display Audio Unit without Navigation) and SiriusXM Radio described in numerous posts above (list function not working). I was told that SiriusXM added channels and it caused issues with numerous vehicle manufacturers including Subaru. I was also told that SiriusXM was supposed to supply Subaru with a fix that Subaru would package in a new firmware. She was very aware of the issue but could not find where any fix had been provided by SiriusXM or that Subaru had released updated firmware. I asked her what is the latest firmware for my radio, but she was unable to tell me what the latest firmware was for my vehicle/radio. I was told call back in a few weeks and maybe they might have more info. It was a frustrating call for me.

Does anyone have any further information on the latest firmware - 2016 Subaru Legacy Premium with Fujitsu 7” Display Audio Unit without Navigation? I am currently on OU9311 firmware. My dealer has no updates either as of today. Thanks!

newest update is OU9312 for yours and does address xm issue.

I registered on subaru-maps.com, but it says I have an invalid or unregistered VIN. Sigh.

I opened a customer support ticket with Subaru over my inability to register my car on subaru-maps.com. Here is their response:

"There is currently a firmware update available for your vehicles unit. This update was to allow you to save presets as well as some other bug fixes. To have this update installed, you would need to visit your Subaru retailer to update the firmware of the unit itself. These type of updates need to be completed by the retailer as this changes the firmware of the unit itself, to where the maps can be updated on your own. "

Needless to say I told them that sucked. I know the firmware updates are there, but they won't let me have access to them because...?

Seems silly to me that we cannot have access to the firmware updates. If my 2016 Legacy was out of warranty, my dealer says I would have had to pay an hour of service to get the firmware update to fix a conflict between SiriusXM and Subaru causing the List function to stop working. However, I was previously able to load multiple firmwares that I acquired through users on this forum with no issue whatsoever. Saved me time and quite honestly I feel I follow ALL the directions better than some Subaru technicians. Will keep holding out hope cause I love my Subaru! Edited by scarzy19

And I still don’t know what to do,like how to download it and upload it to the HU

I have a 2017 model and th HU unit was already replace due to dust/dirt getting inside behind the screen glass,now the SiriusXM list function does not show,I wonder if my local dealer would update it for free since I’m still under 3yr/36K? also have the gold plan but $100deductible

Yes, the dealer will update for free under warranty. I scheduled mine yesterday for Friday appointment and I am in the 3yr/36k warranty period. They confirmed it would be free under warranty.

Out of warranty my dealer says they would charge the cost of one hour of service which is likely over $100.

Do a search for old TSB 15-205-16 in the forum/thread and I believe you will find a link to an old TSB with instructions on updating the firmware. However, the instructions will no longer help us since we don't have access to download the latest firmware from Subaru and this has not been available to share on this forum from other members. Hopefully somebody will be able to share down the road. Keep in mind each type of radio has a different firmware, so making sure you have the right one for your model year & radio style is very important!

Edited by scarzy19

This issue is VERY frustrating! I had to have my head unit replaced because it would not accept the update at the dealership. I got my hands on the update here and attempted the update myself, and guess what? It updated just fine. Since warranty is 1000 miles out from expiring, I had them replace the head unit. Noticed on Monday that my XM listing was gone. Didn’t think much about it. Just had the car in on Tuesday for a front diff service. Am guessing that there is yet another update. This absolutely needs to be made available to the owners so they can do this themselves if they choose to perform the update to keep their equipment up and running.

I can verify that my dealer did indeed have access to NU9313 firmware and that it did fix my issue with the SiriusXM listings. This was for a 2016 Outback 3.6 Limited with Navigation. It was covered under factory warranty. Unfortunately, I was not able to talk the tech into giving me the firmware.

My dealer loaded new firmware OU9312 for my 2016 Subaru Legacy (No Nav) today and SiriusXM is working properly again. I am still under 3yr/36k warranty, so service was free under warranty. Cheers for the firmware fix! I still believe it's silly that these are not availabe to the owner though.

Just spent an hour and half down at the dealer getting OU9312 loaded into my non-nav 16 Outback, only to have to turn around and go back down because my radio doesn’t work (three hours total). Have to go back down again tomorrow. I suspect that the tech only partially loaded the firmware. He mentioned that it fought him, and when questioned his first response was that the radio needed to be replaced. I’ve already had it replaced once when he couldn’t update it (even though I was able to acquire the firmware and successfully update myself). I did verify that the dealership will charge $115 for these updates out of warranty.

The issue I originally had which prompted me to get the system updated was that my SXM listing disappeared. The problem I had after the update was that the SXM didn’t work at all. I would select an XM channel, and a searching window would pop up and never go away. Tried refreshing via SXM website. The unit response lagged quite a bit too. I think that the install was incomplete. When the service manager asked the tech about it, he said that the car fought him (whatever that means). Their plan is to use new usb drives today and go through it again. It cracks me up that their first thought is always “the radios bad, we must replace it”. We will see what happens today.

They’re not hard to do. Yesterday’s went fine and all is well. Until the next one. The tech admitted that he didn’t check the SXM function after the first time because he didn’t know I subscribed. Not a very good reason to not check it. I got on my iPad this morning and a couple of my apps needed an update. Imagine if that cost $5 each time an update was available. Bad business. At this point I’d be semi-happy if I could just go somewhere on my own to find out if there’s an update available.

They’re not hard to do. Yesterday’s went fine and all is well. Until the next one. The tech admitted that he didn’t check the SXM function after the first time because he didn’t know I subscribed. Not a very good reason to not check it. I got on my iPad this morning and a couple of my apps needed an update. Imagine if that cost $5 each time an update was available. Bad business. At this point I’d be semi-happy if I could just go somewhere on my own to find out if there’s an update available.

Indeed. Subaru (and presumably other car manufacturers) need to realize the reality of customer expectations now includes automatic, flawless updates to technology, like smartphones, etc. They bothered to build wi-fi into my headunit just for that reason, and then they don't enable it. Ridiculous.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...