LegacyGT.com

Sydney Motor Show - Liberty GT "Tuned By STi"

slugdriver

Hmmm I see yr concern boys but at the end of the day I suppose it is personal choice. I will find out who does the paint protection because I know it is not Subaru themselves. Also will find out what the guarantee covers and what they will do in the event of a stonechip.

Leave it to me.

Ada///M.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rob, from what I know and from what I have seen, this protector is very GLASS like and gives the paint a lot harder exterior. It takes two coates of the stuff (unsure what it is). I admit, I have to do a lot more research on this prior to me giving it the tick of approval BUT.... if it can do HALF of what they say, it could be a sound investment.

As soon as I can get more information off Sharon @ Docklands, I will let you all know, unless one of u guys want to ring and ask for me. Currently interstate on business but should be back in town early next week.

Ada///M.

In the US, the fabric protector is a ripoff. We used Scotsman brand protectant at U$20/can. The dealers use the SAME stuff and charge $3-500. One even insisted I do it on a Jeep Wrangler with cognac leather seats.....ummm.....there isn't much of anything to treat, except some carpet that pulls out in 2 minutes to help drain the water and mud you get from driving trails. :lol:

I have to admit, STi are not pushing this at all, they are more like its here if u want it pretty much. Ive seen the results from the PP to NPP with the same Urban Grey as Im getting on the STi and it looks very glassy and nice, but will have to do some serious research prior to me giving it the tick.

Ada///M.

Adam

The satnav shots at the Motorshow were taken in a Liberty 3.0 Spec B that was next to the Sti Liberty. The satnav is very similar to the one in our Landcrusier and I was sitting in the drivers seat playing with the satnav and demonstrating it to some guy in the passanger seat that was spouting off about how satnav was a real wank (he didn't have one and had never used one). After I had finished my quick demo I had not only sold him on satnav, my wife had also sold him on a Spec-B. We should get our commission cheque in the mail any day now.....(NOT).

Guys

When I ordered my STi Liberty I was quoted list price too. I buy from Subaru at national fleet because my company has enough vehicles to qualify. My dealer in Sydney was able to get me fleet discount eventually, but I think only to keep me (personaly) happy and not risk ending my company business with him. I got the impression that not everyone who qualified for fleet was going to get fleet (discount) on the STi. He makes more than enough profit from me each year, so reading between the lines, he might well have covered the fleet discount himself.

I have a friend here in Sydney who also ordered an STi Liberty from a different dealer and he couldn't get a price break even with no trade, every option in the book ticked and then some (sunroof, aftermarket brembos, aftermarket killer sound system...all dealer fitted / organised) and a big deposit.... in short, every dealers dream idiot..sorry, ahem, ...... customer.

Darryl

LOL thats too funny.......

Yeah I should get the same commission deal then. I felt a bit bad afterwards but I shrugged my sholder and thought... hmm whatever.

I was in at Subaru last Saturday and a guy was looking over the last of the GT's. The sales then walked over towards where I was, sitting in the 3.0R SpecB. He was talking about the 3.0R SpecB and what it had to offer. I said, for value for money, this is the ride I would be buying and went into why I thought it was great. The guy then responded, "well mate, if its that good why are u not buying it", I responded I just ordered the LibertySTi and I preceeded to walk off leaving the salesperson to go thru the motions of what I was talking about.......

As I said I felt bad, but its nice to buy something that not everyone can have, so u have to lair up sometime I suppose.

Ada///M.

PS, spoke to STi today and also requested that the front Bar not be drilled for a licence plate at all and to leave that to me. Steve @ STi couldnt confirm if the front bar is drilled prior to the Liberty leaving the STi factory in Japan or here in Melbourne but he would let me know hopefully Monday. This is one that I will have to follow up again because I wont be happy if it is done here in Melbourne.

And yes u read right, our Liberties came directly out of STi Japan, not Subaru like the current GT's. Nice to know and more posing rights...........!

Is it just me? I just don't see the new car is worth it. Don't get me wrong - it's definitely a great car, no doubt better than my MY04GT. It's just that I expected more bling bling for the extra money. Can't wait for the new M3, whoops, sorry, I shouldn't have said that.

I would say that with a few extra little mods, you could certainly get that figure down to 5.2 maybe even to 5 flat. Its not impossible

Information: MY06 MT WRX STi Vs MY06 LibertySTi EAT, neither could pull from eachother. Hence I would say the MT will certainly have a big more grunt than the EAT hence the time prediction.

Ada///M.

PS Darren I was going to say GISH u are up early for a Sunday, then I looked a mycl's time and though hmmm either up early on ONE HUGE NIGHT..... lol.

They are in the middle of doing the performance stats (or were earlier this week) and the 5.4s 0-100 time was the "nod, nod, wink, wink" estimate...

Darren

I call BS... the new z06 corvette won't do 0-100 in less than 7 seconds.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

PS, spoke to STi today and also requested that the front Bar not be drilled for a licence plate at all and to leave that to me. Steve @ STi couldnt confirm if the front bar is drilled prior to the Liberty leaving the STi factory in Japan or here in Melbourne but he would let me know hopefully Monday. This is one that I will have to follow up again because I wont be happy if it is done here in Melbourne.

And yes u read right, our Liberties came directly out of STi Japan, not Subaru like the current GT's. Nice to know and more posing rights...........!

The numberplate holes (there are 4 holes - 2 big oval ones and 2 holes for the nuts with a countersunk bit for the clip to sit flush) are not drilled, they come cast into the bumper with a metal clip to hold the number plate nut.

Subaru /Subaru Technica International - no difference when it gcomes to the GT as STI themselves don't build the car...

I call BS... the new z06 corvette won't do 0-100 in less than 7 seconds.

NO BS at all mate, but we are talking kilometres per hr, not miles

0 - 60MPH = 5.2 (0 - 60MPH only = 0 - 96KPH)

0 - 100KPH = 5.4

Done. Hope this is clearer.

Ada///M.

Thanks Mo, that is what I was afraid of considering my MY01 has the same setup. Have to work out how I can fill the holes to run my setup. Unsure what to use..... any suggestions... anyone ?

Correct re STi but the cars come out of the STi factory once completed at Subaru for the finishing STi touches, so in essence, they still rolled out of STi Japan.

Ada///M.

LOL love how the seppos can't handle the idea that something built outside of the US without a V8 might be quick. Corvette might do 0-100mph in 7 seconds off a cliff.....

What do you want to do with the front licence plate Adam? I'm intrigued now...

p.s. You obviously don't have kids - 7:30 am start on a Sunday can be considered sleeping in some weeks. Plus I wanted to see how we went against Uruguay - I should have stayed in bed...

Lovin yr style Darren, yes the US boys arn't liking the fact that we have the STi and as Ive said before, its nice to have a bit of 1upmanship......

The plate Im going to run a sticker setup but just have to work out how Im going to plug the holes that already exist in the front bar. If its good enough for Ferrari and Lambo to run this setup, well its good enough for me but its going to be a PITA to get it sorted I think. Spoke to Steve yesterday and mentioned yr "Self Drive" Altona, he thought it was amusing.... how did u go ?

Ada///M.

PS And yes hear u re the sleep in, I can ONLY imagine, Im sure my turn wont be too far away or they could always go to Uncle Darren's for the weekend LOL.....

The game this morning, well what can I say. When we have over the hill burnouts like Viduka or however u spell it, well I think that says it all.

PSS Im outta here, going to watch the V8Supercars.. should be an interesting round.

Don't make me sound too keen to the sales guys - this time a week ago I was a bees proverbial away from putting a deposit on the MPS...

I reckon you'll be stuck with the whole front plate thing - I'm 99% sure that the front bumper is moulded with a flat section and pre-drilled for the licence plate. For your sake, I hope I'm wrong but I reckon you'll be having a plate like the rest of us...

Did Stephen make any noises about the cars being ready before Xmas?

LOL Jon, I suspect you're mixing up what the rest of the world calls 0-100 and what the US still calls 0-60? Sub 6 second 0-100 is quick but hardly rarified stuff...

Saw the Ariel Atom on TV a fortnight ago which does 0-100 (km/h) in 2.8 seconds - now that is fur ken quick!

Just to put it in perspective, Motor (local Aus perf car magazine) ran the WRX STi, Evo IX and a HSV wannabe (local boat anchor with Corvette like motor from GMH oil burning stable :D) - here are there 0-100 times:

EVOI IX 5.02 s

WRX STi 5.43 s

HSV R8 5.53 s

I suspect the 5.4s aim for the GT STi is a bit optimistic but mid 5's for 0-100 should be very doable...

Going below 5 seconds appears to be Porsche / AMG / Lambo stuff though...The Murcielago is the quickest in their back section at 3.99s 0-100km/h

They accord 6.24s to the standard GT - and trust me the GT STi is waaaaaaay quicker off the mark - and low 8s to the 3.0R Spec B ( which seems slow given it didn't feel that much slower than the standard GT when I drove it...)

All in all, I'd think a 5.x 0-100 km/h time is very much doable and a target for the GT by STi.....

Cheers,

Darren

I seriously CANT believe some of our US members on this board, do u guys READ at all ???????????? Seriously, have a look at a few posts above and I actually SPELL IT OUT CLEAR AS DAY. Jon, with U being fairly new to the board I will let yr comments slide, but here is an idea mate, read the entire page...............post 167 in particular. You have to admit Im harsh, but extremely fair on this point.

Dont worry Darren, didnt talk it up to much but I said that from what I knew u were keen as to get yr hands on it ASAP to which he mentioned he knew very well. MPS u say....... I will leave it at that...

I DONT think the 5.4 is optimistic at all, to be perfectly honest I think it will be very very achievable. I believe the time was run in a EAT and not MT and as we both know the MT is supposed to have few more herbs so to speak.

Ada///M.

From the smile on Vin's dial, I suspect they will be having no hassles getting the GT within 0.2 seconds of the WRX STi....

LOL and for US readers, that's a metric second. Not sure the conversion to imperial but just want to be clear we're talking metric seconds :D

Archived