LegacyGT.com

Sydney Motor Show - Liberty GT "Tuned By STi"

slugdriver

Is the STi ECU tune (that's going to be on the Aussie STi Liberty*) available, or going to be available, anywhere but Australia? I'm just wondering if STi is going to get into the business of aftermarket reflashes -- not that they'd likely be cost-effective compared to other solutions.

*or something similar, tuned for local fuel availability

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

rfd425 - I doubt very much the STi tune for the Aus spec Liberty will be on sale as an addon in Aus let alone exported? For your sake, I hope I'm wrong but I know the guys down here are jumping through hoops big time to keep the FHI guys happy and flogging the tune / ECU piggyback would hardly impress them. This is the second vehicle that has been "customised" down here (they did a WRX - WRP10 a year ago) and according to the sales guys this is the first time that STi has been used on a vehicle that didn't come out of Japan? It's certainly the first time that STi has been used to brand a vehicle down here that wasn't a WRX STi import - I guess the UK has always had the Prodrive cars so didn't really need to use STi?

Apart from the dash / trim / seats options that I think are only available on cars built with them, the rest of the bits should be importable and retrofittable to anyone with enough coin to import them. To be honest, I don't know why SA didn't import the GT STi and just do the retune here - the car appears to be pretty much the same as the STi Legacy? Apart from the missing Brembos that is...

p.s. Dan - fair call on the MicroBrews but don't know about Fosters - no-one in Aus actually drinks it - we just export it to the rest of the world. Pity you can't say the same about Bud heh heh...

rfd425 - I doubt very much the STi tune for the Aus spec Liberty will be on sale as an addon in Aus let alone exported? For your sake, I hope I'm wrong but I know the guys down here are jumping through hoops big time to keep the FHI guys happy and flogging the tune / ECU piggyback would hardly impress them. This is the second vehicle that has been "customised" down here (they did a WRX - WRP10 a year ago) and according to the sales guys this is the first time that STi has been used on a vehicle that didn't come out of Japan? It's certainly the first time that STi has been used to brand a vehicle down here that wasn't a WRX STi import - I guess the UK has always had the Prodrive cars so didn't really need to use STi?

I guess I was assuming the ECU tune was developed in Japan by STi, which then made me wonder if it was going to be available on JDM or Euro models. It wouldn't be relevant to the North American market, since we have the 2.5 liter engine.

It seems sort of silly to me that STi would engineer a retune just for 300 cars destined for Australia. Once the mapping has been developed, it seems like it would make sense to use it on special edition models all over the world, or even make it available as an aftermarket tune for the GT. It's just software, and it seems to be a fairly conservative tune, so why would STi not want to sell it to all comers (for a typically high STi price), rather than limit it to a few hundred cars? I'm assuming STi is retaining the intellectual property rights to this tune, but maybe that's not the case.

I definitely think there would be a strong market for a tune developed by STi, and it seems like an easy profit-generator for them.

$1400-1500 brought to the US and they don't fit the wagon.

Dan this is incorrect ................

@ STi Australia, I saw these cans fitted to a Wagon. And if STi fitted them, there would have been NO modifications. The Wagon was actually sitting behind the glass in the service area which U look onto when yr in any of the sales offices.

Ada///M.

It wouldn't be relevant to the North American market, since we have the 2.5 liter engine.

It seems sort of silly to me that STi would engineer a retune just for 300 cars destined for Australia.

Hmmmmm me thinks u questioned yr own answer and vice versa..........:icon_bigg tis all good.

Ada///M.

RFD,

I think the key point is that the tune was not developed by STi in Japan and then just emailed down here. The local guys did develop the tune - they have 2 - 3 mules (test cars) - and developed it on the local dyno with the FHI guys. From what I can see, what was shown at the WRX club last month, the job was done by 2-3 local STi guys and 2-3 FHI guys from Japan. It isn't a simple download from Tokyo job (e.g. when I visited, they were running 2 cars with different tunes on the dyno for last sign off).

It was a very similar story to the WRP10 which was also locally developed. Although once again, it's not like they did major engineering work - just chose a bunch of parts / add ons that seemed to suit the car and would sell.

Personally, I don't see how the cost of a special 300 run build could ever be more cost effective than just importing the JDM car, doing a retune and meeting ADRs but I do know Inchcape well enough to know they would have chosen the higher profit route!

p.s. As you said though, most aftermarket tunes would achieve far greater results so I'm not sure the keen modder would want to buy a mild STi tune. But, for those of us happy / silly enough it does come with full warranty...

p.p.s. I'm reasonably sure this is a similar model to what Prodrive have done in the UK through the factory backed mods. Although, to the best of my understanding, this is the first time a non-Japan STi car has been given the STi name? Until now, to wear an STi badge, it had always been a Japanese built STi with no local input (well apart from engine retunes for 91/95/98/?? RON in the bush here!)

Adam, no, I never intended the question to be with respect to North American models, other than the fact that it might telegraph STi's intentions with regard to providing aftermarket ECU tuning solutions. I was asking if the same tune was available in other markets, such as Japan, that have the same version of the Legacy GT as you guys.

I think the key point is that the tune was not developed by STi in Japan and then just emailed down here. The local guys did develop the tune - they have 2 - 3 mules (test cars) - and developed it on the local dyno with the FHI guys. From what I can see, what was shown at the WRX club last month, the job was done by 2-3 local STi guys and 2-3 FHI guys from Japan. It isn't a simple download from Tokyo job (e.g. when I visited, they were running 2 cars with different tunes on the dyno for last sign off).

I think that is the answer I was looking for.

As for people being willing to pay for a fairly conservative tune, the STi name has a lot of brand equity among Suby owners, and I think a 270hp reflash from STi for $850 would compete very well with a 280hp reflash from Cobb for $650.

I suppose what I was alerting to was the fact that u guys run the 2.5L to our 2.0L . As Darren has pointed out, the retune has taken countless man hours to perfect between STi Japan, FHI & STi Australia. The point is, have u ever known STi to sell a reflash for the WRX and WRXSTi ? NO, so there has to be a reason for this, hence there will be no resale on the LibertySTi retune from STi.

This protects STi owners......... and our reflash will be up around the 280HP mark Im sure but even 20+HP over the standard GT aint BAD.

Ada///M.

Dan this is incorrect ................

@ STi Australia, I saw these cans fitted to a Wagon. And if STi fitted them, there would have been NO modifications. The Wagon was actually sitting behind the glass in the service area which U look onto when yr in any of the sales offices.

Ada///M.

Actually Adam, I am correct. The USDM wagon's rear bumper is two inches deeper than the USDM sedan and 3 inches more than JDM models. Much to AVO's dismay, they didn't know this either before shipping a brand new design of back boxes fitted for the USDM sedan. I personally test-fitted Paul Hansen's used V1 cans to my car and they were four inches from clearing the rear bumper too.

That sucks...

I don't know about you guys but personally I think it's bloody stupid that the world needs to have different bumper specs. I mean, how on earth can the design rules vary????

Imagine the cash that would be saved if we had one consistent set of design / safety / emission rules for the whole world. If only...

Thats fair Dan, I didnt take into consideration the larger rear bar that you guys have over there. I know that I saw it on the Oz-Spec but thought the fit would have been universal.

Darren, its similar to what we go thru here with JDM models that have to go thru ADR specs.

Ada///M.

Yeah, I know Adam - kinda stupid don't you think though? I mean I would have thought the average 80 kg Aussie / American / European / Asian would make the same size dent in the bonnet at 40 km/h....

It'd never happen but you just figure a set of ISO design rules not just local e.g. ADRs would be much better for consumers. Although half the things allowed in Japan are just scary - I don't advocate we allow their rules when you see some of the bitshoxes on the road in NZ...

Yeah due to different countries having different road rules, the regulations must change for local conditions as we are very much used to here with the GREY IMPORT RULINGS.

Ada///M.

PS Going to STi in the next day or so, so will keep u posted.

PS Going to STi in the next day or so, so will keep u posted.

Adam, there was talk of STi arranging tours of the local Melbourne warehouse/factory where they will be making the finishing touches to our GTs. While you are down there can you ask them if this is a real possibility? I hear that they have some of the "tuned by STi" GTs on the deck here now. Would love to see them.... (I'm sure everybody else would too....) Maybe the ticket for admission is that you need to place an order first.... I'm sure they dont want an invasion of 'tyre-kickers'!

So.... how could we score a set of "Sti Sport Mufflers"

Why bother ?

Are they any better than, say, Borla, Greddy, Perrin or any of the other excellent products that are already available here, and sure as sh1t, they ain't gonna be cheap.

It's just a name, like are Tommy Jeans any better than Levis ?

Label whores :lol:

Why bother ?

Are they any better than, say, Borla, Greddy, Perrin or any of the other excellent products that are already available here, and sure as sh1t, they ain't gonna be cheap.

It's just a name, like are Tommy Jeans any better than Levis ?

Label whores :lol:

name another dual-tip that has factory fit. Oh yeah....you can't. :icon_tong

Hi lads,

I emailed the National Marketing Manager at Subaru with some questions today and received some answers, some of which you may/may not already know, but thought you may be interested anyway. He seemed an extremely helpful guy.......

Asked (and complained :icon_frow about the sunroof.

1. Subaru do not unfortunately offer a sunroof as a factory fitted option. This feature is offered as standard equipment on some of our models but not, obviously, the Liberty GT tuned by STI. We do not recommend the fitment of sunroofs as an after market option.

Asked about future Sat-Nav as an option.

2. Sat/Nav is not currently offered as a local (retro) fit however the matter is under close investigation for possible introduction in the near future.

Asked for some interior pics of the car as it will be delivered to us.

3. Unfortunately we only have one special edition car in Australia at the moment and this car does not have the complete interior, we will address this the moment we have a car in Australia (early December) and load new pics on our web site.

Asked for confirmation of the tinting and UV status.

4. Yes the car will have tinted windows from the "B" pillar back however all windows have UV protection.

And the subsequent reply on how difficult to match the tint

re the tint question, we added some tint to the test car we showed in Sydney at the motor show and the tint was very compatible so a match should be no problem.

Asked for detailed specs on the stereo

5. Regarding the specs you require on the stereo system, I will ask our technical department for details and forward them to you.

Asked if the cars will be numbered to show limited edition

6. The cars will feature a numbered badge from 1 to 300 located adjacent to the gear stick.

And also received the following bit of sales schmooze, which made me feel better anyway :)

Thank you for your interest in Subaru and for your decision to purchase, the GT tuned by STI is without doubt the most superb Liberty yet developed and is sure to give you enormous satisfaction for years to come. WA's Dean Herridge (of Subaru Rally team Australia) was involved in performance testing in Australian conditions at Eastern Creek and enthused upon getting out of the car that this was the best Subaru he had ever driven.

I'll be sure to post if I hear any more info.

Cheers,

Rick

:icon_evil Oh no, they used those swear words again.... "Australian Conditions"!!! That's sure to stir up a hornet's nest......:icon_excl

Didn't really give much else away though. Although the praise from Dean Herridge is certainly encouraging.

Aus_STi_GT, you might want to ask them why they chose not to offer the factory sunroof on the "most superb Liberty ever developed"! I did, and they chose not to answer the question.... Interesting that the Sydney Motor Show car had both the tinted JDM rear windows and the sunroof... so it seems it was not built up from an Aussie spec GT....

>Aus_STi_GT, you might want to ask them why they chose not to offer the >factory sunroof on the "most superb Liberty ever developed"! I did, and they >chose not to answer the question....

Hi ozgt,

Didn't ask coz I'm sure it was all about cost cutting anyway. I suspect they thought they could take it out and no-one would be too fussed coz of the shiny performance bits they threw in..........maybe they thought it was a good compromise but to me it smacks of penny-pinching short sightedness.

I for one am left with a bad taste in my mouth over the issue anyway, especially as my dealer originally believed it was inlcuded. And not even having it available as a factory option on a $70K car well and truly blows.......

But hey, even now I do know I still have one on order so maybe Subaru Aust is the smart one after all....... :)

Cheers,

Rick

Rick, I have to agree, I was a bit peeved as well. Penny-pinching is the only reason I can think of, but I dont think they want to admit to it! Same reason the Brembos dropped off the specification. I think it is a damn shame, I would have happily paid the price for factory fitment of both. (aftermarket just doesnt make any sense). No matter how good the car is there will always be something "missing"....

It seems Subaru Australia don't seem to have the confidence to go all the way. No doubt some marketing survey says that Joe average will only pay so much for a Subaru and no more.... I think they would be surprised. If they start treating their customers like luxury car owners, then they may be able to charge much closer to luxury car prices...

But you are right, at the end of the day they do have our orders....! but it was borderline.... I hate to admit it but I started to think that the Mazda 6 MPS might be the way to go.... and will we return in a couple of years time to buy another Subaru? I guess time will tell. Depends if the next model gets the Brembos and the sunroof in my case!

Hi Adam, etc

There was someone on the wrx.com.au forum a couple of days ago that was importing a set of Brembos for his Liberty B4 from the US for about $1800.00 and was looking for some extra orders. I'm not sure if you have seen his thread there and if it's all above board or not, but I thought you may be interested.

If it's a bit shonky then maybe we could get a group import/ buy on Brembos going. I know it could be expensive, but I would be interested if it were below say $3,000 for a set. Above that it's probably too expensive for a car that I'll probably only keep for three / four years (or maybe a lot more if it's really THAT good).

Of course, the Brembos would need to be modified for Australian Conditions......

Darryl (Modified for Australian Conditions)

Archived