LegacyGT.com

Sydney Motor Show - Liberty GT "Tuned By STi"

slugdriver

How hard is it to have a catalog, and order the parts from a warehouse; or order them, and have the parts shipped from Japan. We're already doing it behind their back, why don't they want a part of their own damn aftermarket?

Amen.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought the upgraded stereo was unattainable due to the whole dual A/C issue. Other than that I believe that all other visual and go fast parts could just bolt on.

the stereo isn't unique to this model, it's used in several JDM and Oz models.

What are "Austrialian conditions"? =P. Austrialia has specifically different conditions than the rest of the world? Maybe the wind is different or something down there =P. j/k.

... It's for the 2.0L? Maaaan. Just think if Subaru suddenly announced a STI-tuned 2.5 ECU upgrade. Holy crap. That thing would sell like HOTCAKES. Couple hundred bucks (most likely). Come in to the dealer, unscrew, unplug, plug, screw, drive for a couple hundred miles to let the new ECU adjust and BAM. Smiles abound.

I think I heard when the R33 and R34s (skylines) were on the showroom floor, the parts department had nismo tuned ecu's for sale. The price was something like 450USD. You went from the magically 280hp to 360. Dealer direct. Crazy stuff.

Well one downside is that although sat-nav has just been confirmed for Australian release in the Liberty range, (yay!), it WON'T be available on this limited edition GT or the regular GT! :(

Won't stop me from getting one of these though, in black of course... [Eric Cartman] Sweeeeet! [/Eric Cartman]

BTW, is there any "official" reason why we have never seen the STi 6 speed manual box in a GT?

In short....

The SpecB is sold directly by Subaru Australia and the STi is sold directly by STi Australia.

The main difference are, the STi is loaded with STi product and has the same level of creature comforts that the GT has but with added HP. The STi is offered in only 3 colours, BS, OB & UG.

The SpecB is now offered in both 6MT STi short shifter and 5EAT transmissions with similar creature comforts and different spec 18" rims + added chrome and bling here and there. SpecB can be purchased from memory from the entire colour range.

SpecB 6MT = 180Kw

GT = 190Kw 250HP

STi = 209Kw. 280HP (depending upon tune)

Ada///M.

OUCH! maybe a Stromung isn't so bad afterall.

Thanks.

it's made to fit the JDM bumper which is shorter than ours, has 2.25 inch inlet pipes, and would be a sound and appearance mod only. The soundclip I have heard sounds like ass, probably because it was from a JDM 2.0L twinscroll with equal length headers. I love the look and love the fact they are STi, but :rolleyes:

Lot of factors to consider WHEN you listen to clips, was it a 2.0L or bigger, did the MIC pick up the right tone of the exhaust and indeed did the GT in question have any other mods that affected the acutal tone.

U need a few sound clips to actually say it sounds like rubbish or its time to PONY up.

Ada///M.

the clip I heard was on the STi website....an official clip from Subaru. If I could get them for $1K and in a fitment that would work with the USDM wagon bumper (two inches longer than the sedan, so 3+ inches longer than JDM), I'd still buy them.

Guys, guys, guys. Not a single part on that car is unobtainable - some of us already have them (like me).

Thats correct. And not all STI parts on the car are that great for perfromance - take for example the exhaust, its just a pair of mufflers with the same size pipe except its a bit louder than std (i've sourced and fitted the same mufflers to a friends car a while back).

The STi springs only lower the car by 15mm while you could source other that would lower 25 -40mm (if lowering is imp to you).

The only bits you'd find hard to source would be the ECU tune (is it worth the $$ for 10KW? or 14hp), the instrument cluster, red stiching (big $$), etc.

But as a factory package its a great deal tho!

Bye,

Mo

Put it this way, the advantage here in Oz for us is, we can purchase this STi will all the MODS included and still have our new car warranty. YES owners in all other countries can puchase and install all these go fast MODS, but your new car warranty will be void.

Ada///M.

The warranty is a great point, but its not likei f someone buys and fits a spoiler or lowered springs you loose warranty on the whole car...

Like look at my car, its still under warranty and as a matter of fact have put in a claim for brakes (shuddering) and they will be replacing my disks and pads under warranty.

I just have to accept warranty for the parts that i've fitted - like if my shocks fail or my springs break or something... but these parts again come with their own warranties...

having had a modded WRX before the GT and having claimed a few things under warranty, its not a big deal for light minor mods like on the Aust GT with STi bits.

Its when you go over a certain limit that warranty becomes an issue - like changing turbos, replace ECUs, etc.

Bye,

Mo

Thanks Dan.... do u have the actual URL Link to the Subaru site so others can download ?

TIA

Ada///M.

here: http://www.subaru-sti.co.jp/parts/blbp_legacy/cat2.html

Towards the bottom of the page where it says "muffler sound" (under the pic of the mufflers).

BTW, remember thatwe get the t/scroll turbo, that means equal lenght headrs - no boxer burble that the USDM GT has.

Saw the "tuned by STI" GT at the Sydney Motor Show yesterday. It certainly looks great!

But have to say I'm a bit disappointed. While it fixes some of the "omissions" in the standard GT (bilsteins, 18" wheels, alloy pedals and other clip-on appearance bits).....

- they've deleted the sunroof!? nobody could tell me why? The standard GT gets the sunroof, the 2.5i "Safety" even gets the sunroof and costs $22k less.... (to add insult to injury the show car is fitted with a sunroof! a small disclaimer on the specification plaque says "note production models will not have sunroof..." or words to that effect)

- no brake upgrade, where are the Brembos they fit to the JDM model?!

- could live without the alcantra inserts in the seats, standard seats would be just fine

- whisper is this is a "runout" model because the twin scroll 2.0l GT doesn't meet the upcoming "euro 3 " emission requirements. The emission compliant version (probably with 2.5l turbo engine) wont be ready for a few months, so Subaru is rushing these through to beat the Jan 1 deadline and keep the GT selling..... but they don't seem to be advertising this fact! Can anybody confirm or deny?

One of the guys from STI Melb asked me if I thought a Brembo package would sell if available? It's hugely expensive apparently if supplied on an exercise like what they have done with the limited GT's.

I didn't think it would sell all that well because you could buy a hell of a lot of dressup bits for that money muted to be worth a few grand.

Rob.

Ok pure confirmation that this is a run out hence the extra kit in the STi. Subaru Australia will be bringing out the 2.5 engine, the same as the one currently available to the US GT buyers. The engine will be detuned to meet Australian Standards and Regulations and will be rated under 200Kw.

For the money, I think the STi is a great buy, yes Brembo's would have been nice but with this STi actually being developed here in Melbourne, I would only expect good things from our friends @ STi Docklands. Frank has been working on this project for some months and has put a lot of time and effort into the entire package. Unsure why they did not go with Brembo, the cost may have had something to do with but I think I would certainly check that option box. As for SatNav, still unconfirmed if this is going to be an addition in the STi including Xenons.

With only a limited production number, Im sure they will sell extremely well and retain great market value.

Ada///M.

Still no pics from the launch anyone ?

Thanks for the extra info guys. Seriously thinking about buying one of these, but cant help feeling that we have been shortchanged. The "tuned by STI" JDM version costs about AUD$45000 equivalent, and it gets the Brembos and 206kW! Seems STi/Inchcape have spent months in development only to despecify the original version, and adding $24,500 to the price in the process.....! And then there is the missing sunroof from the standard Aussie spec GT.... what the ....?

Almost there but not quite.... Could have been a beautiful thing. Still, it has to be the best offering yet by Subaru in Australia.

When it comes to the brakes, I certainly would have ticked the Brembo box. If Nissan can factory fit Brembos to the 350Z Track and only charge a $3k premium over the Touring version, Subaru should be able to do the same! Of course if STi fits them in Australia, they would cost a fortune, but this shouldn't be necessary

Now, I wonder if I can convince them to get out the can opener and fit that missing sunroof.... Wish me luck!

LOL yeah I thought that sticker price seemed a little pricey, so does the 14.5K but hey I will let it slide. Dont think its ANYWHERE near that amount. Currently dont have a sunroof so missing nothing AND maybe a Brembo Group Buy might be in order. What do u think ?

Re looking at MT or EAT

Ada///M.

Archived