LegacyGT.com

Sydney Motor Show - Liberty GT "Tuned By STi"

slugdriver

Thansk Adam, I would be potentially interested in the Brembo group buy, but my gut feel is that to do this aftermarket will cost way more than its worth... (any idea what the dollars would be?) factory fitment is the way to go. Might just have to put up with the standard anchors if I go down this path!

Definitely 5MT (seeing the 6MT is not on offer!) I have a friend who bought the 5EAT GT, and while it is a nice box it is his only real disappointment with the car

By the way, the $14.5k is based on the Japanese list price for the "tuned by STI" Legacy of 3,780,000 yen (at ROE $AUD1=84 Yen), by my calcs AUD$45,000 !! Compared to the Aussie price of $59,490 its enough to make you cry isnt it?! But then again, not only Subaru plays this game in Oz, we are well and truly accustomed to price gouging by the car companies down here.... Just pick any car and check the equivalent price in the USA...!

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes true, if u buy an STi WRX or WRX or Liberty GT here in Oz, u dont get the burble BUT all you need is a resonator and u should be golden, or change out yr exhaust system. Cat back should ususally do it.

Ada///M.

Dude, u misunderstood me...

The JDM /Aust GT will NOT produce the boxer burble (unless you change the manifold to un equal lenght and a turbo to suit) as with the USDM GT/WRX or even the Aust WRX because of the turbo and the equal length manifold - hence why that sound clip with the STi mufflers sounds "weak" compared to the Stromung exhaust.

Bye,

Mo

I hear exactly what U are saying based on all that and totally understand.

I also MOD on the M3Forum.com and if I could buy an M for the same price they do in the US, I would have 2, 1 for the track and 1 as a daily driver.

The standard brake package is a real disappointment for a GT STi that will be putting out over 200+Kw, Im looking at upgrading the fluid and the brake lines and hopefully that will give a better overall feel as long as I dont have the scouring issues that the US members have had.

The Brembo cost would be up around the 8K range which includes pads, bleeding, calipers etc etc, lots of $$$$ for a simple upgrade. The last Liberty STi the S202 came stock with Brembo's, just unsure WHY they are not going to release this STi with them as well.

Ada///M.

- whisper is this is a "runout" model because the twin scroll 2.0l GT doesn't meet the upcoming "euro 3 " emission requirements. The emission compliant version (probably with 2.5l turbo engine) wont be ready for a few months, so Subaru is rushing these through to beat the Jan 1 deadline and keep the GT selling..... but they don't seem to be advertising this fact! Can anybody confirm or deny?

Yes, it will be a runout (SA has a habit of loading up the run out models as special editions). The GT won't be sold here after these cars are sold and we'll see the 2.5 about this time next year.

RE Brakes.

I'm toying with using the std WRX calipers with someting like the DBA slotted disks (had them on my WRX and liked them a lot), s/steel braided brake hoses and ofcourse a better fluid. That should give my GT enough stopping power for my needs.

Nothing wrong with loading up the GT with STi bits. The MT LibertySTi will be quicker than the 2.5T anyways.....

Curious if you could use the Stock Calipers and run the DBA drilled & or inc Slotted with upgraded pads with upgraded lines. This could be a cheaper option than the Brembos and the WRX calipers.

Ada///M.

Hi Everyone,

I have just had a chat with my friendly Subaru dealer and have placed an order for one in Urban Grey.

If any of you want one you will need to be quick. There are no Black left and very few Urban Grey. Each dealer has been allocated two and once they have sold their allocation, SA won't give them any more, even if they have a client ready to place an order.

Apparently my order was something like 287 or thereabouts and SA are thinking of removing the car from the Motor Show to avoid lots of unhappy people at dealerships trying to order a car that has been sold out.

At least it looks good for retained value and I wouldn't be surprised if a "Black Market" didn't appear before too long in orders being sold before the cars are actually delivered to the original purchaser.

The cars themselves are not being built till the end of November / early December and will begin to turn up in late December or early January.

From what my dealer principal told me, the new 07 model GT's will have a 2.5 ltr single scroll turbo, will NOT be as quick as these limited edition will be and won't be around till very late in 2006 / early 2007 with a power output of about 195 kw. From that point of view, the limited edition may well be a solid investment for some time to come.

Curious if you could use the Stock Calipers and run the DBA drilled & or inc Slotted with upgraded pads with upgraded lines. This could be a cheaper option than the Brembos and the WRX calipers.

Ada///M.

yeah, you could and it will be much cheaper too but it depends on how much stopping power you want.

That is funny...

The Aussie LGT Tuned by STi is already nearly sold out, and they are contemplating removing it from the show, to avoid anger at showing off a sold out car...

And in the US, the GT spec B is being panned by us, the enthusiasts, and the dealer staff barely know anything about them.

I wonder if they'll ever get the hint...

Real performance = sales = everybody happy.

Markup for not-much-content = dissappointment to the enthusiasts and the sales department.

There is no reason to not build your own these days,.

The internet has made the world incredibly small when it comes to procuring things.

Visually my GT wagon will just about pee all over the STI wgaon when it becomes available and I have heaps of change to boot.

Rob.

Hi Everyone,

I have just had a chat with my friendly Subaru dealer and have placed an order for one in Urban Grey.

If any of you want one you will need to be quick. There are no Black left and very few Urban Grey. Each dealer has been allocated two and once they have sold their allocation, SA won't give them any more, even if they have a client ready to place an order.

Redrobin, hi. Congratulations on your new purchase!

I'm assuming no discounts being offered due to the limited build qty....(?)

Out of curiousity, are you paying full list price for the Urban grey "tuned by STi" GT? I'm considering bidding for one of the remaining 13..... if not too late already!

Aussies,

As there is no car club specifically for our GT's, I hope you all seriously consider joining the WRX Club of Vic (www.wrx.com.au) that caters for only Subaru turbo-charged vehicles?

We'd love to see some of these new rockets in there as well.

:p

Currently owners who have gone from WRX's have bought GT's and there is a healthy mix of them there to.

Discounts on servicing, parts and an excellent magazine make it all worthwhile.

Rob.

I find this information all a bit much..... how can they sell a LibertySTi if NO ONE KNOWS anything about them. I have had mine on order since last week but they are unable to confirm anything hence they havent taken my deposit. So I personally think the numbers quoted as"already sold" as total BS.

I started speaking with STi prior to the launch and almost a week later, I am still no closer. I have only this afternoon gotten off the phone from STi AGAIN

Ada///M.

Thanks Rob,

Joined the Forum yesterday would u believe so well ahead of U......

Also saw a "Very Attractive" picture of u in there too.....

The "Tinter" rocks, you are certainly well respected in that forum.

My STi will be @ yr place for tint as soon as I get the keys.

Ada///M.

I find this information all a bit much..... how can they sell a LibertySTi if NO ONE KNOWS anything about them. I have had mine on order since last week but they are unable to confirm anything hence they havent taken my deposit. So I personally think the numbers quoted as"already sold" as total BS.

I started speaking with STi prior to the launch and almost a week later, I am still no closer. I have only this afternoon gotten off the phone from STi AGAIN

Ada///M.

I'm with you on this one Ada///M. I think there is a lot of BS going around. I dont think they have actually sold any yet! Probably have 287 enquiries..... but I bet they arent holding any deposits. I've spoken to both Subaru Melbourne (owned by Subaru Aust/Inchcape) and STi today. The only info they have is what we can all read on the internet! As you say, they dont even know how to take an order for one of these babies yet! I suspect the independent dealers are exaggerating the situation a little to try to lock in some orders so Inchcape/STi dont decide to channel them all exclusively through their outlets...!

Ada///M.

I note your comments above and don't doubt the sincerity of your response, but never the less, my local dealer in Sydney had a very good knowledge of the Liberty STI and what was /wasn't going to be included in the specs. I had checked a couple of other Subaru dealers prior to talking to him, mainly to make sure he wasn't considering my order from them as a given. I buy most of my company cars from them, so they know me well.

Anyway, I got mostly the same story from the other Sydney northside dealers, they all knew about the cars, one told me they had sold out their allocation and couldn't help me, but would do a great deal on a regular GT, and the other said come in quick or you will loose out.

Perhaps what my dealer was seeing was a NSW phenominon and he extrapolated it into an assumed national position. Don't forget we have the Motor Show and the Liberty STI is in a great spot on the SA stand, so every visitor to the Subaru stand can't fail to see it if they havn't already tripped over it. It is also now on a sidebar on the Subaru Web Site as well as being reported in some of the Sydney motoring press. In short, if you are a motoring enthusiast in Sydney, you can't help but know about this car by now.

Whatever the case may be in Melbourne (or Victoria), I have my copy of a NSW Motor Traders order for a MY2006 Subaru Liberty GT STI and a signed dealers reciept for my deposit on the vehicle, and no, apart from fleet owners discount, I didn't get any other price breaks on the car, although they did look after me on the aftermarket sunroof and a few other things that I asked for on the car. I can confirm that the STI limited edition will not have a standard sunroof though.

He also showed me, mainly for interests sake as I didn't want a Black one anyway, a copy of an email from Subaru advising all dealers that the Black Liberty STI model was sold out and orders could now only be taken on Urban Grey or Silver. Perhaps that e-mail was only for NSW and not intended for national consumption, but I have no reason to doubt that it was still a genuine e-mail from Subaru. It wasn't until after I had signed the order and we were talking in general that he showed it to me, so if it wasn't a genuine e-mail, why bother after I had ordered ? and if it was genuine, then it must imply a strong order demand.

For what it's worth, the Subaru people on the stand at the Motor Show also have a good knowledge of the Car and they are talking as if it's a done and finalised spec.

I guess time will tell as we see other Australian members of this site try to place orders for these cars. I still stand by my initial suggestion that if you want one, the evidence suggests that you need to be quick, at least in NSW, if not nationaly.

Regards

Darryl

Darryl, thanks for all the detail..... interesting that Subaru (Inchcape) dont seem to be consistent with their communications!! I'm curious to know if your local dealer in Sydney is an independent, or owned by Subaru Aust/Inchcape? Most of the dealerships here in Melbourne now are owned by SA. I wonder if they have released a limited allocation to the independents and are saving the rest for themselves...??!!

Very good to hear that they agreed to do an aftermarket sunroof. The official SA line on this seems to be that they wont get involved in aftermarket fitment... (I suspect therefore that your dealer is an independent!) If you dont mind me asking, how much did they charge for the sunroof? Is it a Hollandia?

I live in Melbourne but was in Sydney for the weekend and dropped into the motorshow. My experience there wasn't so good either, the guys on the stand didn't seem to know a lot about the STi GT. They were just regurgitating facts from the brochure and the website. Maybe that was just bad timing on my behalf...

Mo YES we do have a 3.0R SpecB both now in MT and EAT. The MT has a sweeet STi Short Throw which is very tight and feels really good. This has now been on sale in all Australian states for upwards of 6 months or more.

Ada///M.

I know this, i thought the other person was asking if we had a Spec B GT - as in Japan (Turbo 4cyl), which we don't. The RB is not a "GT".

Thanks anyway :)

whats diff between the Australian Spec B and Liberty STi?

Just to clarify on what agctr has said,

The Aust "Spec B" is a "3.0R B Spec", its the 6cyl legacy. Not the Spec B as in Japan.

The "Liberty STI" is a 2.0 GT with a few STI parts thrown in. Not the same as the "Tuned by STi" LGT as in Japan.

Hope this helps.

Ozgt

My local dealer here in Sydney is an independent dealer, he spends quite a bit in advertising on and supporting the local Sydney Christian radio channel and therefore I try wherever possible to support him by using him as my first choice with Subaru vehicles, products, servicing, etc.

While I can't confirm that the sunroof will be a Hollandia (all my order shows is "Sunroof"), the dealers description of it seems to fit the Hollandia specs...... It has programable function buttons, auto closes when you turn of the car, etc. Sounds a lot like a Hollandia!

My price was $2,000 which is about $500 less than the last time I had a sunroof fitted to a new vehicle that I was purchasing, which was about seven or eight months ago. Just as an aside, my company has 11 vehicles on the fleet, so we do turn over quite a few vehicles for a smallish company.

I've been reading the threads on this car on this site, on the Australian WRX Club site and a couple of other Automotive sites kicking around, as well as the press articles I've seen and a couple of Subaru insiders that I know socially.

It certainly seems that there is quite a bit of conflicting information around, so no wonder everyone is confused to some degree or other.

As far as I can tell, the final specs of the car will be as per the brochure that is being handed out at the Motor Show, except that the final power output is now being spoken of as in the order of 206 Kw rather than the 200 Kw in the brochure.

It also seems that there will be an eight or nine month halt in GT production after this limited edition run while the factory changes over to the 2.5 Ltr single scroll as per the US spec cars. this motor will apparently be around 195 Kw in Australian trim with slightly higher torque than the existing 2.0 Ltr twin scroll.

If this is the case, then it seems that the Limited Edition is going to be the most powerful "Factory standard" Liberty that we will see in Australia (or elsewhere, it seems, but I could be wrong on that) for some time, which has to be good for the retained value of these vehicles as well as the desirability of obtaining one of the 300 as a factory fresh vehicle.

It may well be that SA is over hyping the sales to date, but I have no doubt that the car will sell and SA will have no trouble in clearing the whole 300 in quick time. Has anyone been into a Holden dealer to try and order one of the special run out gold Monaros lately? They were gone within a couple of weeks of being announced as they were desirable vehicles, and the same will happen to the Limited Edition GT as it is also a highly desirable "image" vehicle as well as being an exceptionaly good car.

Another point is that while there has been a bit of comment by agctr and you regarding SA over doing the sales to date, agctr has still stated that he wishes to order one, so I'm not really sure why I was jumped on so hard by agctr regarding my comments as relayed to me by my dealer.

I understand that he/she (??) has some links into Subaru for some inside info, but with the greatest respect, he isn't the only one who has these kind of back channels.

I hope this is not interpreted as trying to inflame agctr as this is not intended.

Darryl

It also seems that there will be an eight or nine month halt in GT production after this limited edition run while the factory changes over to the 2.5 Ltr single scroll as per the US spec cars. this motor will apparently be around 195 Kw in Australian trim with slightly higher torque than the existing 2.0 Ltr twin scroll.

I think that it is more likely that there will be a 8 or 9 month halt in import of the GT into australia, not a halt in production. I think the 2.0 will stil be sold in japan and few other countries that get the JDM cars - New Zealand? Singapore? Hong Kong?

If this is the case, then it seems that the Limited Edition is going to be the most powerful "Factory standard" Liberty that we will see in Australia (or elsewhere, it seems, but I could be wrong on that) for some time, which has to be good for the retained value of these vehicles as well as the desirability of obtaining one of the 300 as a factory fresh vehicle.

The JDM cars have always been 206KW so we are just joining that now.

As far as relase value, I think that it will hold for about another year or two but once the 2.5 GTs start entering the used car market, the 2.0 will lose value fast... and it will make no difference weather its a normal GT or the one with STi bits.

And I also think that the 2.5 will be cheaper than the current 2.0 GT - but that will depend on trim and currency value at the time of sale /release.

Bye,

Mo

Darryl, thanks again. Sounds like that dealer is looking after you, pity that SA pushed most of the independents to the wall here in Vic.... but I believe thats another story. I wouldnt mind betting that SA have made an allocation in NSW to the independent dealers on the basis that the Sydney Motor Show will generate immediate local demand. Probably designed to keep them quiet so they cant complain that they missed out on the action! :-) I also reckon they've kept the bulk of the 300 for themselves! Totally agree though that they wont have too much trouble moving them....

If they cooperate and agree to put a sunroof in one for me then they've got my money.... if I have to shop around aftermarket to find somebody to cut a hole in the roof of my new $60k car, (just to get it to the same spec as the $37k 2,5i) then I might just go to talk to Audi instead!

I'll let agctr defend himself, but I dont think he was jumping on you. He seemed to be more in disbelief of the sales figures being quoted by SA! Looks like he has been trying to order a STI GT for a couple of weeks and the guys down here just don't have their act together (despite the fact that they are owned by the importer!) More frustration than anything elese. I'd say a clear case of Inchcape being a bit tardy in disseminating information and putting the necessary processes in place. From my experience they are pretty good at this! (messing customers around that is). I've been trying to buy a car from them for nearly 3 years now. Last time I tried to buy an Outback I got so frustrated I ended up with a Volvo XC70! (cost me $20k extra but at least I got what I wanted and my wife was happy to boot!) She can't stand SA's attitude and is still asking me why in earth I am bothering trying to buy a car from them again....

Enjoy your STi GT! Have they given you a delivery date yet?

Archived