LegacyGT.com

Sydney Motor Show - Liberty GT "Tuned By STi"

slugdriver

WOW that is damn expensive for some extra rays Chester but if u want, go for it.

Thanks for yr kind words NALegacy.... Im sure we will share soooooooon enough.

Chester, fantastic, so that makes 5. The units ATM are pretty price competitive so buying 5 or more should get us all a resonable discount. Leave it with me.

Ada///M.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We ordered the 5 speed manual and with all the options it came to $63,338.00 less fleet discount of $3,000, so we paid $60,338.00 for the car plus the normal dealer delivery, Luxury Car Tax, Stamp Duty, Rego, etc................ all up it will be $67,033.00 at drive away.

Darryl

wow! what was the LCT amount?

I wouldn't personally consider a $67K Liberty even with a STI badge.

I'd go a really top 12 month old used GT and do all the mods seperately using geuine JDM STI parts and have tons of change to boot.

AVO (Ross) in Japan has just sent me a costing on the STI twin pipe per side mufflers for example...$1200 US. Build your own.

Rob.

I'm with you Rob, a close to 10K premium over the std GT for such minor mods seems hardly worth it. The way i see it (yes i know it doesn't work this way), youre not getting anything "extra" with this car...but getting charged for it and take into account taxes...not a great buy...esp when after 2 or 3 years, it will probably be valued at the same price as the std GT (as with past LTD ED cars).

I understand the warranty side of the argument... but seriously, these are such minor mods...i really don't see anything going wong with them. There are plenty of more moded WRX's around that are still serviced by Subaru dealers without hasle... and SA honours warranty too - unless a modification caused the problem.

I'd just wait for the 2.5... hope its a JDM motor too!

Bye,

Mo

Mo/Ada.

At last night WRX Club AGM, we had guest speaker Greg Foletta, STI head OZ development guy who answers to the MD and GM of Subaru OZ.

He presented a slide show and DVD of the development phases of the new OZ Liberty GT that has been under secret wraps for about a year now. Wow great!

They showed the car up in the wilds of the Northern Territory where it went under "Cannonball" type conditions (open slather, no speed limts, sparse population).

4 cars were driven up, 2 manuals, 2 autos all sedans.

The 2 modded STI's were one of each for comparison research.

2 Japanese technicians who do race preparations back in Japan, 2 or 3 STI OZ tech people etc.

Tyres, ecu's, suspensions, driver niceness, optional choices for wheels (black or silver) etc.. were all issues tested include Eastern Creek raceway. Showed the GT flat out down the track and many launch controls from standing starts. Should have seen that baby squat in the arse when the slipper was sunk in?:rolleyes:

I asked him if they could get more out of it than the new power and he just smiled.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Say no more!

This car will fill the void for those GT owners who feel dudded by the goodies available on the 3 Ltr B Spec that till now we missed out on.:p

He did mention something about all the black sedans spoken for already and it hasn't even been really available for sale yet.:confused:

This is their second incursion into developing our own grown STI vehicles for Australia.

Their first project was the quite successful WRX "WRP 10."

There may be a WRX CLub tour organised real soon to see the guys working on the conversion of the GT's over at an Altona warehouse.;):D There's about 10 of these mechanics!

Hope that info helps?

Regards,

Rob.

ROB.........................................................................................................................................

U The man. Seriously this is fantastic news. Thanks so much this is just great.

For mine, certainly cements my decision that is for sure.....

Would LOVE to sign up for the tour to Altona if there is space available, sounds very very nice.

Thanks again for the info, greatly appreciated.

Also did you see my question re tint above ?

Thanks again.

Ada///M. = Adam.

Ozgt

I think maybe you are a little overly concerned about the hole if the roof etc.

I have had and still have cars that had aftermarket sunroofs fitted by Hollandia and have never had a concern about the quality or structural integrity of the vehicle it was fitted to.

My daughters car was even involved in a roll over and the sun roof was the only glass on the whole car that wasn't broken or cracked ! The car was eventualy written off by our insurers (only six months old, too..) but the sunroof and surrounds maintained their integrity throughout the roll over. If they hadn't my daughter may not be around now, it was a seriously full on expressway speed accident.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that aftermerket sunroofs are quite good provided you choose a reputable company and Webasto / Hollandia have been around for years and have a solid reputation for quality. They would take great pains to preserve their reputation.

Regards

Darryl

Chester, Im sure they have installers in Melbourne, just have to track them down unless STi has a direct contact.

I dont think he is concerned with the hole in the roof Darryl, more the hole in the back pocket, certainly not cheap considering one gets thrown into the deal on the normal GT.

Ada///M.

PS Spoke to the Owner re the Xenons, looks like a go, going to set up a thread here tmrw to see if there is any other interest. But looks very promising so far. Spend almost 40 mins on the phone with him this afternoon.

Chester ????????

Are you now wavering on yr order ? Has me concerned !

Ada///M.

Not me! I think you are referring to Mo-GT's comments. My order is secured with a deposit. Would only consider cancelling if the car is a real disappointment on delivery (unlikely) or if SoAust really mess me around... (probably more likely from past experiences!)

ROB.........................................................................................................................................

Would LOVE to sign up for the tour to Altona if there is space available, sounds very very nice.

Also did you see my question re tint above ?

Thanks again.

Ada///M. = Adam.

Rob, +1 on the tour and the tint!

Pls let us know

Ozgt

I think maybe you are a little overly concerned about the hole if the roof etc.

I have had and still have cars that had aftermarket sunroofs fitted by Hollandia and have never had a concern about the quality or structural integrity of the vehicle it was fitted to.

My daughters car was even involved in a roll over and the sun roof was the only glass on the whole car that wasn't broken or cracked ! The car was eventualy written off by our insurers (only six months old, too..) but the sunroof and surrounds maintained their integrity throughout the roll over. If they hadn't my daughter may not be around now, it was a seriously full on expressway speed accident.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that aftermerket sunroofs are quite good provided you choose a reputable company and Webasto / Hollandia have been around for years and have a solid reputation for quality. They would take great pains to preserve their reputation.

Regards

Darryl

Thanks Darryl, that makes me feel a lot more confident. I am concerned about the possible effects on side impact protection and rollover. I'm talking to the Webasto/Hollandia importer here in Melbourne. Hope to inspect some of their work next week. They do fit a TUV approved roof-stiffener-replacement system as part of the standard install. It's just a shame, although I'm already convinced that the Webasto product is superior to the Subaru OEM sunroof, I'm sure they won't be able to match the "rolled in" finish of the factory job.

More than anything I'm peeved because I shouldn't have to go to all this trouble with a new car! The $2400 certainly hurts, when I'm already paying a premium for the car. But the total lack of any explanation and the "we don't really care what you want" attitude from Subaru Australia just rubs salt into the wound. A great product spoilt by sub-standard local customer service IMHO. Now if there was an independent dealer in Melbourne with an allocation of the STi GTs I would have been down there in a flash....

Ozgt

I actually think you are going to be very plesantly surprised when you pick up your car. The quality of the Webasto/Hollandia product and the install quality (if you use their installers) will be as good as, if not better than, anything that an OEM fitment could achieve.

I really don't think that side impact will be compromised at all and roll over is taken care of by the extra strengthening that is installed at fitment time as standard.

If there was a problem, you would have heard about it by now !!

Darryl

• 2 weeks later...

Adam, no movement here. My order is in, they've taken my deposit, and absolutely no feedback on delivery (or anything else for that matter!). Not that I really expected any.

I did get a response from the Subaru website regarding the "missing" sunroof, but it was very political and uninformative. (basically, .... the information located next to the vehicle at the motorshow stated that the displayed sunroof was not included, and the sunroof was therefore not deleted, as it was never part of the specification for the "tuned by STi" model in the first place) But no clue as to why it was not included in the specification...!

How about you? Have you decided to take the plunge?

G'Day Boys.

Well the deal is done, done very well I have to admit.

UG

5MT

Tint

Paint Protection etc

I heard from the STi delivery manager yesterday regarding delivery, should be MID Jan but keeping fingers crossed to see what actually happens. Will keep you all in the loop as information comes to hand.

Ada///M (might have to look at changing this to AdamSTi lol, just doesnt look the same though).

Hmmm!!

Where have I seen that specification before ...... Liberty (tuned by) STi, Urban Grey, Manual, Tint, Paint Protection, etc ................................

Oh, I remember now, that would be me, and Ozgt.

Again... Snap!

We should start the waiting and wondering club. I was told late December as the cars are being built in November but that could well be wrong.

Guys, ... If the three of us ever meet, how are we going to tell which is our car. This could be a problem.

I bought myself a set of those tripple guage sets (from JapanParts.com) that there have been heaps of other threads about. Had a few problems with customs duty and stuff but very impressed with the quality when they turned up. Fitting instructions are in Japanese which isn't a great help, but a US member sent me a set of US instructions in English which have identical line drawings to my set, so I feel confident that the instructions are the same. Can't wait to fit them when my car turns up.

Darryl

One of my customers here in Melbourne has ordered the STI GT and Subaru wanted to charge him $695 for tinting. I do a better product for $352 so just watch out you're not paying way over the odds just because it looks all nice and shiny in the showroom.

Can supply interstate contact names for this service as well if needed.

Rob.

Car Tint P/L

Melbourne.

0417 755537:)

Hey Rob,

Wonder who that might be! Buggered if I can handle the waiting for the new car - I want it this weekend!!!!

I think I will get the alarm installed though - can't work out why it is standard on the WRX but not the GT?

Only 10 weeks to go (I hope!)

Darren

Oh and on delivery dates I was told all the work is currently being done on the cars but they won't be released before 2006 so that they are all first registered in 2006.

According to Vin, the STi mechanics are doing the work at the vehicle yard in Altona as we speak. Final engine tune is signed off and now they're on to the really important stuff like should they number each vehicle as well!!!!!!!

One of my customers here in Melbourne has ordered the STI GT and Subaru wanted to charge him $695 for tinting. I do a better product for $352 so just watch out you're not paying way over the odds just because it looks all nice and shiny in the showroom.

Can supply interstate contact names for this service as well if needed.

Rob.

Car Tint P/L

Melbourne.

0417 755537:)

G'Day Rob,

I told STi that I would be using yr services and good thing is, they know U very well. Were u at STi on Saturday morning ?

The way they tried to sell me was with the Anti Cancer Council "Approved Tint" and that it WONT interfer with the radio reception..... does that sound right to you Rob ?

And how do you get around this problem yrself with the radio reception ?

Im sure u have answered this before but if you could help me out that would be great.

Adam,

I went Urban Grey/Manual/Sedan - black was sold and the silver just looks to ummmm staid or something. Now I just need to find a black model owner who wants to swap his wheels for mine because I think the charcoal will look great on the grey...

Vin is fantastic - I usually (to quote him) "bust his balls" every time my car is serviced but he's just up front, no crap, tells it like it is etc. Plus 10 minutes in the car with him and you realise the gulf between enthusiastic amateur (me) and truly talented pilot (him!). They usually mess up something small each service (forgot to plug in the vacuum for cruise last time) but overall the attitude from Vin and Jeremy down there is great.

I've been told by a few people that some of the cars are here already but the Jan 2006 date is pretty fixed to try and help manage resale in later years. To be frank, I'd drop the B4 off this arvo and pick up an STi - bugger the resale "I just want one!" (to paraphrase a well known other brand)

Kind of feels wrong to be in the WRX Club and not get Rob to do the window tint to be honest......

Darren

Yeah here what you are saying about the resale and to be totally honest with you, it does make a lot of good sense. Personally I dont want to purchase an STi that is a MY05 model that I bought in 06 as on the books, its aged a year already but it has even rolled.

Thanks for the info on Vin and Jeremy, Im sure they will be kept busy with all the Melbourne based STi purchases.

Totally agree Re Rob, I mentioned him on Saturday when I was there and he is certainly well known by everyone. Ive asked Rob a question re the interference of the tint on FM radio, so just waiting for an answer on that.

Spent a bit of time with Sharon on Saturday afternoon re paint protection etc, with the 2K paint protection, they guarantee stone chips and protect the whole inside as well, its expensive but totally worth it in my books as I was looking at getting a clearbra for like 1K total, so this will have better overall protection.

Ada///M.

Archived