LegacyGT.com

Sydney Motor Show - Liberty GT "Tuned By STi"

slugdriver

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it does mean more torque off-boost and more on boost ;)

who cares about a warranty anyways??? Most people on this board lost theirs the first month they bought the car. Heck, Subaru bought my Cobb AccessPort for me ;)

Darren, still waiting upon Sharon to come back to me re the paint protection. I asked her to send me a brochure but since Im still away on business, I cant get to the box. Will keep U posted once it lands.

Any other news?

Still working away on the Xenon deal but hopefully but mid next week I should have something up on this.

What are u going to do re iPod ?

Ada///M.

Hi guys

Was advised today by the dealership that the first of the "tuned by STi" GTs have landed in Oz and are now undergoing local preparation. The car allocated to me is still on the boat but hopefully will have delivery in late Dec (not yet confirmed).

The interesting news was that the rear windows are all factory tinted (rear screen and 2 rear doors). Reportedly looks "a little unusual" and is proving a bit of a dilemma for the Subaru aftermarket guys... They dont have a price for a "2 window tint job" and how do you match the colour?!

Has anybody seen this type of partial factory tint previously?

Hi Guys,

I had a Prado Grande that came from the factory like that, only the front doors had no factory tint and yes it did look a little strange. The dealer had the front doors tinted and it looked better but still a bit ..um .. different...

I had the first of the current shape Prados before they went back to putting engine capacity stickers on the rear side panels.

Darryl

Sounds like a job for Tinter? Rob - any experience with this?

Cheers,

Darren

p.s. Adam - I'm definitely going to go a direct in line FM Modulator to use my iPod. That way the whole thing can be permanently housed in the centre console away from prying eyes...

Yes that is true 70K would be a big ask although if they had a few options boxes that you could tick, well atleast they would be on offer and then it would be up to the buyer to see if their funds could reach that far. This is a little offtopic but have u ever checked out the options list for the M3, M3CSL, 7Series, S-Class and Porsche to name a few, they are massive. Now STi Australia or STi Japan for that matter doesnt really have the depth to offer the sorts of packages that the companies above can but gish, it would be nice. Ada///M.

I always wondered how much would a GT cost here in Oz if it had the same options as say a BMW 330 (which is lots). I bet it would end up being about the same price if not more, which doesn't really make sense since the 330 would still be the better car quality wise and has a premium cost for the badge (prestige/snob value) supposedly. Doesn't add up.

Do you think it would be even close? I mean the 330i sedan vs. GT auto is $41k dearer before on-roads? That gap is probably closer to $45k I'd guess?

I just did a quick comparo using drive.com.au and I don't think there's anywhere near $45k of extras in the BMW? Probably $10-$15k absolute max at volume manufacturing prices.

I totally agree a 330 would be better spannered / built car, and BMW's (expensive) service could teach SA heaps, but do you really think it would be even close?

p.s. Honest confusion in this post - not meaning to shit stir

Guys,

Looking at this page (http://www.subaru-sti.co.jp/LEGACY/) you can see the tinted window thing...

I have to say, if this is what mine looks like when delivered - hmmmm, not happy Jan! Let's hope Rob can work his magic to match a tint to the front two windows?????

p.s. I just realised we must have missed out on the rear window wiper as well as the Brembos...!

Hi all,

Is it possible for the tint to be removed prior to re-tinting the entire car? I'm not sure how difficult this is but can't imagine removing the tint from 3 x windows would increase the cost that much?

Cheers,

Rick

ps: not that we should have to, who ever heard of tinting half a car??

Yeah its the in thing in Japan. From what I know its Japan rules and regs that they can only tint the back half but not the front half, hence the mismatch. Personally I think it should be up to Subaru Australia to remove and replace or atleast offer to tint the front with matching stock from Japan.

Unknown if my Unit has been allocated to my account as of yet but certainly worth checking that is for sure. Will keep everyone updated if I hear anything regarding both of these topics and vice versa please.

TIA

Ada///M.

Guys,

I think part of the problem is that those three rear windows are actually tinted glass - not film on a clear glass. If you look at the STi Japan website you can see those cars with the tint already

Cost to change would run to 2 x new rear door windows and 1 x new rear screen - i.e. megabucks!

SO.... this is going to be a MEGA biatch..... then.

Well will have to wait and see if Rob, (the Champion that he is) can do a colour match just for us.

Well atleast if he has to do a special order, there will 3 ppl signing up.

+1 Darren

+1 Chester

+1 Adam

Oh the pain of it all.....lol.

NOW only if they have accidently put BREMBO's, Xenons & GPS in and forgot to tell us. Here's hoping.

Ada///M.

If it is tinted glass and not film, I for one will be majorly disappointed.

Even IF you are able to match the tint with the same % darkness you will be stuck with a tint that is the same as what they have already decided to put on the rear windows. Which may be nowhere near as good or dark a finish as what you would like.

Daryl, do you recall if your Prado was tint film or tinted glass?

Guys,

I think part of the problem is that those three rear windows are actually tinted glass - not film on a clear glass.

Correct! This was my first question to the dealer "is it film or tinted glass?". It is the latter, tinted glass! Can't remove the oxide..... So our only hope will be to try to "blend in" the front windows using film. I'm waiting to see it in the flesh before I bitch too much.... It may not be a big problem (but it could test Rob's skills when we roll up for the "group buy"! Who wants to volunteer to be the guinea pig?!)

I'm with you Adam on the Brembos! If they were going to 'accidentally' leave in some of the JDM "tuned by STi" parts why didn't they do the good ones:icon_ques

Hi all,

Spoke to a couple of tint places to see if they had encountered this before. Answer was yes, some of the new Lexus and Pajeros are coming out with them.

As agctr mentioned they are typically darker than the tint they are legally allowed to apply, and they are unable to apply any kind of tint over the top of it. (Prob due to 35% visibility limit) I was hoping maybe dark tint on the front and a lighter tint on the back may have been possible, although matching would still be a problem.

More concerning for me was I was told that there is no UV and minimal heat protection from the tinted glass?? If this is true then I think it is a very disappointing result, there will firstly be difficulty in matching the front tint and secondly accelerated wear/fading on the interior!

And why do this anyway, to myy knowledge the standard GT does not come half tinted?

Cheers,

Rick

Totally agree Rick re the UV, its an unknown at the present time.

Correct again, they dont half tint any of the Oz Spec Subaru's but dont forget this Liberty has come straight out of the STi Factory and not the normal Liberty Factory, hence the tint.

Ada///M.

Do you think it would be even close? I mean the 330i sedan vs. GT auto is $41k dearer before on-roads? That gap is probably closer to $45k I'd guess?

p.s. Honest confusion in this post - not meaning to shit stir

No worries. However, I do believe the amount of extra features and options in the 330 are so extensive that the gap would be easily filled. I'm talking about things like blue tooth, pressure sensitive windows, wireless remote control alert system, and dozens of other little features that all add up (auto on/turn headlights, LED rear lights, etc.). Anyway, the point is I definitely feel Subaru can offer more gizmos (some useful some not) for the same price to attract more buyers, which is after the name of the game, isn't it? For example, I was pissed off when I read in the paper today that you can get Bluetooth standard in some Holdens!

Hi All,

My Prado was tinted glass, not film, but from memory the tinter put something on the rear windows that dealt with the UV while not making the tint any darker than it was. He then almost matched the tint on the front windows. Actually from memory the problem was the colour cast that the tint had. The rear windows were a sort of greenish cast while the fronts were more of a copper colour cast.

I spoke to my dealer today and he said that my car would be delivered, all being well, on Tuesday the 3rd January, but absolutley by the Friday.. He said that there was an embargo from Subaru preventing them from delivering the cars before the 1st of January. My car is scheduled to be in their hands mid December, so they would get the sunroof done and eveything and just wait till the first day they open in January to deliver it. This more or less backus up someone else in the thread (I can't remember who...sorry) who said that they had heard more or less the same thing from a Melbourne dealer.

Darryl

PS Roll on January.... No wait, I love Christmas........ No, Roll on January! No, I love Christmas, ... No .....

.... I'll just have an argument with myself here and get back to you when one of me wins ................................

Archived