LegacyGT.com

Sydney Motor Show - Liberty GT "Tuned By STi"

slugdriver

Certainly wasnt jumping on you at all and my sincere apologies if that is how you took it. I was merely stating that the information has to be totally false, not having a go at the dealer either, just merely stating that after several phone calls, several site visits and even emailing the Mangaging Director Nick Senior, I am still getting blank faces and "we will get back to you ASAP" lines. This is the reason why I said the information you had been given just doesnt seem right and could be misleading to not only you but me too. I certainly DONT want to misout hence my continuing battle with information. I have even gone as far as trying to order colour, numbers and options.....

No harm, no foul.

Ada///M.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at Subaru Glen Waverley this avo booking my GT in for service and one of the sales guys came down and had a look at my GT.

I asked him if any orders had been taken on the new STI GT and he said no.

They don't know much about them other than what they had seen yesterday in Sydney at the motor show.:rolleyes:

Rob.

Hi Rob, I spoke to them today too. As of this afternoon I think they have now worked out how to take an order for the STi GT! From what I am hearing there is no rush, not many of the 300 have been spoken for yet. I'm having another chat to them tomorrow.....

I'm curious to know what your experience has been like with Subaru Glen Waverley? Have you been happy with the service?

Hi Ada///M

Appology happily accepted with thanks.

We ordered a manual, aftermarket sunroof, alarm, reversing sensors, wintow tint, etc. Delivery is to be late December / Early January depending on if the apparent sales embargo till January 1 is real or not. I was told that the cars are being built in November and should be in Australia by December...... but who knows !!

If you aren't having much luck in Melbourne, you could always order your car from a Sydney dealer, I've ordered cars by fax and/or phone interstate before, it isn't as uncommon as you may think.

Just a suggestion, If you want I could ask my dealer if he will accept intestate orders and if he has been able to get any more cars allocated. When I spoke to him yesterday on a different matter, he said he had a third order now and was trying to get at least one or preferably two more cars allocated to him.

Have you made it to the Sydney Motor Show yet, I know you intended to go, but did you actuallly get there ?

Regards

Darryl

Hi guys. I went to the Motor Show today and spent a while at the Subaru stand. I was horrified by the corporate snout on the new Imprezza range, sickened to the point of revulsion by the Tribeca, and unusually aroused by the STi GT.

Asked the same questions over to a few of the stand-hands, with largely the same response from each. No sat-nav for any GTs, no retrofit of sat-nav to anything, dealer allocation for GT STi's is not fixed as in X cars per dealer but a first come first served basis, and a few alluded to black STi GTs being nearly ordered out. A point regarding this last one - they were vague about the whole ordering process and weren't ready to take a deposit on the spot!!!!!!! Now, following this, logic dictates that if they are vague and unable to take a deposit, how in the world can there be so many black orders already filled out?

Someone is yanking very very hard on someone elses crank here! Not sure who to believe but something is fishy and we ain't talking John West. An official announcement would be great about now, since I haven't got a straight answer from anyone at Subaru so far.

G'Day ALL......

Yes this process is extremely frustrating. Unsure if they are trying to build up the STi or just really annoy everyone. Unsure how they can release the STi and either no one at the show or anyone in Subaru or STi for that matter knows anything. It just seems that this has been a real rush job or a Austin Powers secret mission gone all wrong. Spending serveral weeks chasing any information and still dont know much and SoAU and STi are in the same boat.

I would say in the following days to a week, everything should be sorted and orders will start to pile in. As in the information on the OB, I agree, how and WHY would Subaru firstly only sell a handful of OB units and if no one is taking deposits at the MotorShow, how can dealerships... UNLESS they are holding deposits until further information comes to hand.

Lets see what the next few days are going to hold.

Ada///M.

PS Darryl, did u order MT or EAT? and I didnt make it to the show sad to say and cant believe that more pictures are not available of the STi here. Thanks for your suggestion also re yr dealer, hopefully should have things sorted by Fri/Mon at the latest.

We ordered a manual, aftermarket sunroof, alarm, reversing sensors, wintow tint, etc. Delivery is to be late December / Early January depending on if the apparent sales embargo till January 1 is real or not. I was told that the cars are being built in November and should be in Australia by December...... but who knows !!

If you aren't having much luck in Melbourne, you could always order your car from a Sydney dealer, I've ordered cars by fax and/or phone interstate before, it isn't as uncommon as you may think.

Regards

Darryl

Darryl, hi

Did your dealer give you any grief at all over the sunroof fitment? From what you've said they seem to be very cooperative. I'm getting the exact opposite from the Inchcape dealers here in Melbourne. Its along the lines of we "absolutely cannot fit a sunroof". Verrrryyyy frustrating.....

And....................................................... how did u get the other options as well regarding alarm, reversing sensors, wintow tint, etc and where these optional extras and how much did u pay all up ??????

Also, no mention at the moment on Floor Mats. Curious if they will have STi ones to fit.....

Ada///M.

Hi Ada///M,

Firstly, my dealer is a Subaru and Mazda dealer, so he has to have access to after market accessories for the Mazdas as well as Subarus.

When I asked for a sunroof, they said no problems, we'll use our after market supplier which will be a Hollandia, which are better than the standard Subaru sun roofs anyway.

There aren't any STI floormats for the car as far as my dealer knows, so he has specified the normal Liberty ones. I had no problems asking for or getting the other stuff I wanted. My dealer is very co-operative and helpfull.

We ordered the 5 speed manual and with all the options it came to $63,338.00 less fleet discount of $3,000, so we paid $60,338.00 for the car plus the normal dealer delivery, Luxury Car Tax, Stamp Duty, Rego, etc................ all up it will be $67,033.00 at drive away.

In regard to your sunroof problem, try talking to Hollandia down there in Melbourne, they should be able to direct you to a reputable fitment centre, or they may have their own centre themselves. Most dealers use Hollandia sunroofs for aftermarket fitment and they are a very good product, far better than the OEM roofs fitted to most Japanese built cars. Typically they have three programable push puttons for setting favourite roof open positions, one touch open/close and they automatically close when you turn off the car !!! Our Japanese friends could learn a lot about sunroofs from Hollandia.

Sorry you didn't make it to the Motor Show... you do know it's still on this weekend don't you ?. It runs till 7.00 pm on Sunday.

I hope you have some luck with ordering your car soon.

If I can help with anything please let me know.

Regards

Darryl

Thanks Darryl, your a good man.

Yes know the Motor Show is on till Sunday but with work etc I just cant get there now. I have seen one of the mules down here in Melbourne which looks pretty good but it was only the engine, suspension, rims and exhaust, none of the other STi kit. The rims looks WOW up close and personal but will be a real PITA to keep clean I think. Love the exhaust system, looks MAD.

Sounds like u got a pretty good deal which is great news. Disappointed there will be NO special edition mats, might look at getting them done myself if possible. I think Chester is more interested in the Sunroof than I am, not really fussed to be honest considering I had my MY01 since new and didnt have a sunroof but Im sure Chester will find yr information very informative.

Unsure about the Parking sensors, not sure I want them drilling holes in my rear bar, have even requested that NO number plate holder be drilled into the front bar aswell, as I will be running my own setup. Unsure of what the other options might be from Subaru / STi so will just have to wait. All I would really want is SatNav, Brembos and Xenons. To be honest the first and the last on my list there I can really get myself but again its a PITA not to have them as stock.

Thanks again for the info and Im sure that Chester and I will keep you posted on our progress.

All the best and chat to you soon.

Ada///M.

Hi Ada///M,

I wouldn't normally have reverse sensors fitted to a car as small as the Liberty but my company owns (as well as other things) a few child care centres (and my company isn't those *?"$%^#@ unethical mongrels from ABC childcare, in case you were wondering), and it wouldn't be the done thing for the CEO to back over a pre-school child behind his hoonmobile....., sorry, ahem.... car, would it ?

The guys at the motor show said that factory Sat Nav could be fitted to the cars although I didn't order it as I have other plans for the cubby space. We have a price deal with Navman anyway as all the fleet have sat nav's fitted.

I can relate to your xenon light desires as we have on fleet an Accord Euro with xenon low beams which are great, but funnily enough the high beam of the Accord is still H4's and are terrible, I mean the pits..... Had to fit driving lights to it under the front bumpers to make the high beam anywhere near reasonable as the staff member who has it does country miles.

The current Subaru lights however are really excellent as delivered, very unlike most Japanese cars which tend to not have very good lights. I fitted a set of Navara +50's replacement globes to both the high and low beams of both my and my wifes Libertys and with these globes the lights are really sensational now. You may not need Xenons...

After I had fitted them, I had one of the cars in for service and noticed that Subaru have a set of enhanced globes as an aftermarket spare part. When I looked at the packaging, the wording was identical to the Navara packaging but with Subaru logos on the cardboard. The Navara's were half the price of the Subaru branded globes so don't be caught.

As for Brembos, great brakes, we had them on our HSV and they were superb, but very pricey when you need new pads and/or disks etc.... I don't know if they will be an option or not.

Keep me posted if you find out any more information....... If they add anything to the car, will they keep the advertised price or will we see it change I wonder. Likewise, if they take anything out will they reduce the price ??

It's interesting that there is lots of comment about the package being good value at only $4,500 over normal list for a Liberty GT, but when you take the lack of a sunroof into consideration it's really about $6,500 to $7,000 over list depending on the retail price of the Liberty sunroof.

Anyway, back to work

Regards,

Darryl

Well, I've taken the plunge and put a deposit down on an Urban Grey 5MT LGT "Tuned by STi" sedan! I hope I won't regret it ......

The Subaru website now states that black is sold out, and I can verify this.... (damn, it was my first choice!) Apparently only 21 of the 300 cars were black. Sounds like bad management to me. Anyhow, grey will be easier to keep looking clean...

Delivery late December or early January. I'll keep you posted!

I wouldn't personally consider a $67K Liberty even with a STI badge.

I'd go a really top 12 month old used GT and do all the mods seperately using geuine JDM STI parts and have tons of change to boot.

AVO (Ross) in Japan has just sent me a costing on the STI twin pipe per side mufflers for example...$1200 US. Build your own.

Rob.

Rob, I hear what you're saying! I guess it depends on your personal situation. I just dont have the time to build my own, as much as I'd love to do it. I also run it as a company vehicle, need it on the road all the time, will depreciate the full sticker price and dont want/need the insurance hassles associated with aftermarket mods. The $67k quoted by Darryl does include some accessories and on-road costs. By my calcs the "tuned by STi" is $6500 more than the standard 5MT LGT (plus some additional luxury car tax and stamp duty). Although they do rip out the sunroof, as has already been highlighted, and this is worth another $2400 or so... I agree its getting up there, but not bad value if you're looking at new vehicles. Drop around to the Audi dealer and you'll pay $83k++ for an A4 3.2FSI quattro or $131k++ for the S4, both auto only! (for you guys in the USA, we dont want to hear the prices you pay, it only make us weep....!)

Thanks for all that Darryl,

I honestly think u really have a handle on all this and are well versed in Car Selection. Totally understand the want for PDC (Parking Distance Control as BMW knows it, I also MOD at M3Forum.com). Especially with the type of work you do. Maybe if they had that invented on my Dad's car 25 years ago, he wouldnt have run over my bike and I wouldnt have been yelled at.... um those are the breaks I suppose. He has an Audi TT allroad now with PDC so its all good. The allroad is a serious weapon.... trust me. Even in the STi, I think he will still hand me my backside.

Re the brake package, bit disappointed its just stock, but think I will upgrade my brake lines, fluid and pads, its a good cheap way of using the stock stepup to get the maximum benefit.

Re the lights, I have those exact ones on my MY01 and even though these are a MASSIVE improvement over the stockers, they dont beat the Xenons IMHO. We should put a group buy together, I would say if we got atleast 5 ppl, we could get a pretty big reduction.

Ive spoken with Frank @ XenonOz, great guy and Im sure he would be happy to help out a group buy.

Re the Roof, as I said earlier, it would be nice to have but not having one for now 4 - 5 Years, Im not missing out on too much but understand why ppl want them too. I usually run my back windows down a few inches to circulate the air, the roof would be a much better option of just popping up the rear.

Re the Price, I dont believe the price SHOULD change especailly if u have slapped a deposit down. I would say that locks the price in regardless. If you want further options or if there is a deletion, I would say the price will change but with NO further information out there, its hard to guage.

BUT if I hear ANYTHING more..... you and Chester will be the first to know.

And vice versa I would hope too.

All the best.

Chat soon.

Ada///M. (Atleast u know now why I sign my name the way I do).

Rob, I certainly hear what you are saying but seriously, take the sticker price of yr NEW GT, THEN add all the prices on that you have been quoted. Ring the insurance company, tell them what you have and just watch the dollars tick over while they type it all into the computer. Then try and get yr GT.....serviced at Subaru or get any warranty work done.... this is where the problems start.

Rob, dont get me wrong, what you are saying is TOTALLY correct. My situation is pretty much the same as Chester's, need the STi on the road as a daily driver with ZERO hassles. If I had the time, patience and the modding experience, I would be getting a new GT and do all the mods myself, it seems like commonsense that is for sure.

Now Rob, speaking of Group Buys, how about a group buy on Tint ???????? or do you have a special offer going with the WRX Club that you can tell us about. Any information on Clear Bra, I know of only one company in Melbourne which look pretty good but thought u might have some other suggestions.

TIA as always.

Ada///M.

Ada///M

Absolutley interested in a group buy on Xenon's......

Depending on price I may buy up to 3 sets, One set for my GT, One for my wife's Spec B and one set to keep for the new STI GT when it turns up.

Darryl

Ozgt

Well, I've taken the plunge and put a deposit down on an Urban Grey 5MT LGT "Tuned by STi" sedan! I hope I won't regret it ......

Snap !!

Same colour and transmission as mine, same expected delivery time as well. What did you do about the sunroof... ??

I don't think you will regret it.

Darryl

Sounds great Darryl, thats 3, I make No. 4 and hopefully we can get Chester and a few others in Oz to come around as well.

I will put up a thread in the main forum for a group buy and talk to the owner and see what deal we can get on a group buy. Leave it to me.

Ada///M.

Ozgt

Snap !!

Same colour and transmission as mine, same expected delivery time as well. What did you do about the sunroof... ??

I don't think you will regret it.

Darryl

Darryl, yeah, we'll have to share photos of our new "Urban Grey" babies when they are delivered!

The dealer refused to do the sunroof (Inchcape/Subaru Aust policy apparently).

I'm talking to Prestige Sunroofs (Webasto/Hollandia) who seem to be reputable. Quote is $2395. I'm still undecided. I'm going to visit their workshop, inspect some of their work and interrogate them on the structural aspects...! I'm still a bit nervous about cutting a hole in the roof

Adam & Darryl, I'd certainly be interested in seeing a quote on the Xenons. If too expensive though I might just opt for upgraded globes

Sounds great Darryl, thats 3, I make No. 4 and hopefully we can get Chester and a few others in Oz to come around as well.

I will put up a thread in the main forum for a group buy and talk to the owner and see what deal we can get on a group buy. Leave it to me.

Ada///M.

Archived