LegacyGT.com

Sydney Motor Show - Liberty GT "Tuned By STi"

slugdriver

Heh Heh Darryl,

I don't get the January embargo thing. If they can deliver it on the 3rd then it has to have been registered in December?????

Anyway, that's good news because I think it means they should all be done pre-Xmas. It sounds right because the cars must be complied / registered by 31/12/05 or they fail the emissions standards (I don't know whether it is complied or registered but I'd bet that means the car has to be finished by end December - if they were still modding them in Jan then I think they'd fail the test???

Sounds like a stupid embargo. I WANT MINE NOW!!!!!!!

Darren

p.s. I sent Rob Tait a PM to see if he could comment on the tint issues

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply
... but dont forget this Liberty has come straight out of the STi Factory and not the normal Liberty Factory, hence the tint.
You're getting the standard JDM Subaru hyperchromic rear half glass (it's not tint) and you're delusional if you think your "Tuned by STI" Liberty isn't coming off the same assembly line that produces all Legacy/Liberty cars in Japan.

Dont be jealous Jon, its ok mate......

Ada///M.

There's no doubt that the JDM 2.0GT spec.B is a fine car. It's the base for the Australian Liberty "Tuned by STI." The only question is whether the parts from the "Tuned by STI" catalog (see http://www.subaru-sti.co.jp/LEGACY/catalog/) are installed at the port of entry or in Japan. We already know for certain that the Australian version of the JDM 2.0GT spec.B will be de-tuned from its 206 kW spec, "for Australian conditions."

A few of the parts will be installed in Japan and a few in Australia. The parts installed in Japan have been tuned in conjunction with STi Australia. The only reason the cars are de-tuned in SpecB format is due to the fuel mix we have here in Oz BUT the LibertySTi will be given full wack. Totally unsure of the final DYNO numbers but from information inside of STi Australia, the guys that actually tuned the STi here in Melbourne, Vin and Greg are whispering somewhere around the 209kW mark.

Ada///M.

Presumably, every other Subaru model sold in Australia is suited "for Australian conditions." It's my impression that Subaru Australia uses that expression to distinguish ECM calibrations it has developed for JDM cars without the assistance of FHI. Maybe Subaru Australia has had problems in the past with importing high-performance JDM calibration cars?

Good luck.

Gee Jon, I thought we'd seen the last of your jealous antics :D

Seriously does anyone care whether the wheels are fitted in Japan or Australia? Sure as hell I don't...

I'd list again what we believe is fitted in Aus vs. in Japan but I'm guessing you'd ignore it?

I think each of the GC8 shape STi's that were imported were also retuned / remapped / downgraded for our 98RON fuel. Pity we don't get 100RON like the Japanese but c'est la vie. Definitely the original 400 2 doors and second batch of 400 4 doors were retuned / detuned to have a custom Aus map for 98RON

So, I guess you subscribe to this nonsense:
... but dont forget this Liberty has come straight out of the STi Factory and not the normal Liberty Factory, hence the tint.
Subaru Australia was seriously burned when they tried to import a JDM STi. Good to know you don't think that was a problem.

If that was a question to me Jon, ummm nope I figure the STi cars go down the same FHI production line with the standard ones. Most in-house tuners that I know of make the base car on the production line (e.g. Prodrive, HSV/FPV, STi) - only the AMGs of the world can afford their own line (and I don't know this for a fact - maybe the economics for AMG also dictate the cars being build on the normal Benz production line)...

I didn't know that SA was seriously burnt? I think 2 of the original 400 STis were raced and had molten pistons. Would I have been pissed off - for sure? Were the engines replaced at no cost - yes. Did they retune for 98RON as a result - yes (EDIT: can't be sure it was a replace or a repair)? I drive a B4 which puts out 190kW rather than the 206kW in JDM tune - am I pissed off - mostly no! Of course I'd like full herbs but I'm happy to accept 190kW detuned for 98RON than a JDM tune that'd ping like shit and melt pistons. To the best of my knowledge all STi/turbo Liberty models brought in have a different tune for Aus? It's just words whether in marketing speak you say "tuned for Aus conditions" or you use blunt rude seppo to say "detuned to stop it blowing pistons and pinging like a pig" - reality is, both refer to the car's ECU maps being fiddled to reflect the fact we only have 98RON...

p.s. Or was there another case of SA being burned that never made the press / rumour mill here but did in CT?

p.p.s. True Adam - I know about the 100RON E5 blend but not in my car, not yet anyway...

Sure did Adam. There's a chunk of stuff floating around the WRX forums too on it.

I think it will be a good thing if we do get 100RON more broadly but not sure ethanol is the way to go. I'd love to know the calorific value of the 100RON Optimax though - conventional wisdom would say it is lower hence you'd expect to use more...

Although - if it could help with getting the JDM tune heh heh

Jon, either post up some FACTS or stop posting in this thread.

Ada///M.

Adam has certainly been a great source of info for this model, but Jon's facts generally tend to be impeccably accurate. I'd like to know the truth about this model, as it may be a precursor to a North American version, but I don't know who to believe. So, who's telling the truth here, and who is speculating or embellishing?:icon_frow

Hmmm, what facts would you like to know?

This is the original press release / website reference:

http://subaru.com.au/promotions/?promoid=246

This is a related article on its history / some of the reasoning:

http://subaru.com.au/news/?newsid=12353

This is the "real deal" Japanese product:

http://www.subaru-sti.co.jp/legacy/

Jon does appear to be somewhat of a "shit stirrer" as us colonials would call it, but to the best of my knowledge these three websites contain "the facts". Read it and decide I would say...

p.s. You could call a remap of the ECU for dealing with Aus. 98 RON fuel many things:

"Specially tuned for Aus conditions"

"Downgraded" / "Inferior to JDM tune"

"ECU remap"

All describe what I think is a fact - FHI and SA locally have remapped the ECU to deal with our fuel. Another fact is that the car is specced to 200kw - there are however lots of local rumours that it puts out 206-209kW. These aren't facts...

p.p.s. Jon could also do a lot to demolish a lot of stereotypes the world holds about people who inhabit the area south of Canada and north of Mexico if he avoided terms like "delusional" in his posts. I mean ffs lighten up - it's just a friggin car - no one died making it, no one will die because they don't get it...

p.s. You could call a remap of the ECU for dealing with Aus. 98 RON fuel many things:

"Specially tuned for Aus conditions"

"Downgraded" / "Inferior to JDM tune"

"ECU remap"

All describe what I think is a fact - FHI and SA locally have remapped the ECU to deal with our fuel. Another fact is that the car is specced to 200kw - there are however lots of local rumours that it puts out 206-209kW. These aren't facts...

Australian 98 RON gasoline isn't the reason that Subaru Australia needed to remap the JDM 2.0GT spec.B ECU. If 98 RON fuel were readily available throughout Australia, there'd be no need to recalibrate the JDM ECU. "Autralian conditions" means that the farther inland you travel, the higher the likelihood you'll encounter petrol stations which sell only legal minimum octane gasoline, which is 81/91 MON/RON in Australia. Subaru Australia needed to retune the ECU so the engine is able survive on that crappy gasoline without self-destructing.

OK, Jon now you are talking through your arse mate...

The retune was for 98 RON not 91 RON. For example, the B4 was never sold in Tasmania because that state does not have PULP (98 RON) for sale. Trust me, the number of warnings / promotions / etc about only run 98RON even you couldn't fail to miss them. Now I think about it, I think every WRX / B4 / GT has had different rated outputs to the equiv JDM model until the 2.5s? Anyway, we must all be confused why and Jon must have the good oil...

p.s. do us all a favour and sod off back to the US thread and peddle your xenophobic views there huh? I don't think you've made a single positive contribution to this thread and you mostly seem to want to rain on Adam's parade. ..

Hi Guys,

I'm not quite clear just what Jon's problem is...

He certainly seems to not like Australians. Maybe our friends in the Aussie SAS showed him up in Iraq or something.

So what if our 98RON isn't full brew like Japan. I bet that if you stop for petrol (gas) at a gas station 20 km south west of lower south hicksville, Iowa, that the petrol (sorry, Gas) isn't going to be any much better than what ever you get at the Bullamakanka servo here in Australia.

Anyway, we've got better beer.

Darryl

Anyway, fer kim. Let's just ignore the sad bugger and be done with it...most of the other guys who posted seem reasonable...

Assuming they're all released the week of Jan 3rd we should all be driving our new cars in 6-7 weeks from now!!!

And yes, I am counting!

Hi Guys,

I'm not quite clear just what Jon's problem is...

He certainly seems to not like Australians. Maybe our friends in the Aussie SAS showed him up in Iraq or something.

So what if our 98RON isn't full brew like Japan. I bet that if you stop for petrol (gas) at a gas station 20 km south west of lower south hicksville, Iowa, that the petrol (sorry, Gas) isn't going to be any much better than what ever you get at the Bullamakanka servo here in Australia.

Anyway, we've got better beer.

Darryl

Whoa!!! That's where I draw the line. :lol: I like Foster's and all, but we have the best micro-brews here that people outside the US never see. Fosters > Budweiser, yes....don't assume that's what most of us drink.

Archived