LegacyGT.com

Sydney Motor Show - Liberty GT "Tuned By STi"

slugdriver

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The STi story so far........

1. The windows are here to stay.

Subaru Australia tossed up getting plain glass and replacing but have now decided against that. Now this proves it, because this STi comes straight out of the JDM STi Factory, this is the reason why we got the tint job we did. Vin said that even though the film tint wont be an exact match, because the interior is black, it should look fine. Apparently the STi at the Sydney show had the same setup and no one picked it up, so atleast that is encouraging.

2. Production Date

Production start date for the STi here in Melbourne will be 5th of December. STi Australia & STi Japan will work on the cars that have now been sold and confirmed first with them working on the cars still to be sold once the first cars have been delivered.

3. Delivery Date to Customer

No good news here Im afraid Darren, the cars still look to be on schedule for MID January.

4. BREMBO's

No real reason why they were deleted from the information I have. Vin expressed that the car would have been sensational with them but with a few mods you can get the car feeling right. But agrees there should have been a TICK BOX options list.

5. Testing

All testing of the STi was completed last week here in Melbourne and the overall feeling was very very good. This is certainly a tester for STi to see if they could fit a LibertySTi into the STi showroom full time here in Australia.

6. 0 - 100 times.

They are unable to confirm these times as of yet as they have not been released to the public although the feeling is very very good. I believe these times will be in and around the times discussed here on the board.

7. Build Tour @ Altona

There will be no build tour of Altona due to security etc.

Ada///M.

Adam, good to see they are talking to you at least. :icon_bigg

Damn frustrating trying to get any (factual) info out of these guys.

I suspect all the JDM cars get the tinted glass. All this really tells us is that somebody forgot to tick the box that said "fit Aust spec glass". Either that or these cars were already built, gathering dust and Subaru Japan took the opportunity to off load them to Inchcape...

Re the factory tour, no surprise. I suspect that it will really not be that impressive. They probably dont want us to see how little they are really doing! Fitting parts that could have been fitted in the factory and removing parts that we have already paid for (wheels, struts, springs...). Not terribly inspiring:icon_neut

Despite all this, really looking forward to delivery, even if it is mid January!

Now, anybody want to buy a well cared for Monaro CV8 6 spd manual?

I think the "factory tour" would be less than exciting LOL. Probably a warehouse and a few lifts maybe? I doubt there's much work for a competent spanner man (or woman) to do the required swaps...

Hmmm so back up to 50 odd sleeps to go then...

Adam, I'm with you there! Very keen to see our cars in the flesh. The whole combination of Urban grey metallic, with 18" wheels, STi aero bits, lowered suspension, STi seats, red gauges (still not sure about these...) and black headlining should look great (almost forgot, + Japanese mafia glass). Would happily settle for the showroom, as opposed to the warehouse, though.

Surely they'll have one on display at Docklands ASAP (?) They still have the best part of 300 units to sell, but then again they may not be in a hurry as the replacement model isnt likely before Sept/Oct 06 from what I hear.

Correct re the last part. Unsure how many they have to still sell but would say it would be in the 100+ atleast. Bet u they are kicking themselves they didnt sell more OB.

Unsure where the Sydney Showcar went or is but its not in Melbourne as far as I know. Unsure where the mules are as well, could be at Altona being used as guides prehaps.

Re the glass, looks like we will have to get back onto Rob ASAP.

Ada///M.

Guys,

Vin showed me the mules this avo and I can tell you one thing.

The wheels.......all the black GT's come with STI black wheels and these don't look the goods IMO.

However, the other coloured GT's get the same wheel in silver/tungsten call it what you want but it look s... hot compared to the horrible "dirt no point washing them ever" black ones.

The rear lip spoiler with incorporated brake light...I've seen better and I understand it is not colour coded on the mule.

The lowering looks good with the big boots and the mule has a rooted front lip. They'll do a roaring trade in them from spare parts.

But upstairs was another wagon with the NZ wheels and the obligatory STI rear twin mufflers. (Not keen on those wheels either and I think the right decision has been made on them.)

I'm not so hot on them now visually. I think our Aussie big mofo extensions look better.

Cheers for now,

Rob.

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/3944/2505025img2me.jpg

Rob,

Did you see the red one? It had the rooted front lip when I saw it LOL

The colour coded rear spoiler looked much better on the Sydney motorshow car. I think the charcoal wheels might look better on a Grey or Silver car but it wasn't an option :(

The zorst changes are funny - I think the quad pipes looks the goods on the sedan but man it looks crap on that wagon?

p.s. Mind you that guy on the left must be keeping Mobil in business with extra petrol he needs to carry all that body kit around :D

:icon_bigg

Yes I did see the red sedan with the rear bumper hanging off it. There was another beside it (can't remember the colour only the horrible wheels) but these 2 Libs were the ones we saw on video in the NT at the WRX Club meeting with Greg Foletta.

These poor bastards must have had the ring towelled out of them with the engineers up north. They look like they have been through the wars.

Definately got a limp on those STI exhausts. I'll save my dough.

Didn't that TINTER GT look good?

Cheers Rob.

PS. I'd see if you could change the wheels for the other colour? That's what I'd do.

I've got the silver / tungsten / chrome wheels - but doubt anyone would want to change if they've got the black...

Yeah the red one was even more of a mess inside - Vin must eat 2 meals a day from Maccas given all the empty papers in it! They'd only be worth scrap I reckon but I'd happily drive it until the proper thing arrives...

What did you think on the STi zorts on the sedan? I really liked them but looks crap on the wagon I think.

p.s. I'm just happy to see you in the GT wagon when I think back to all the angst you went through 3-4 years ago re importing a B4 wagon

The zorts don't look sinister enough IMO for what this beast has got going for it. I think they have tried to make it look like an M3 outlet that doesn't work.

Then again the STI Genome ones are too far the other way...over the top.

The GT was worth the wait Darren but I'd like to have a few more neddies now.:icon_tong

Rob.

The zorst changes are funny - I think the quad pipes looks the goods on the sedan but man it looks crap on that wagon?

it's the black lower valance on Rob's car that makes it look better - the polished tips 'snap' to attention with a black background. I'd say if the car on the right had the same treatment, the quad pipes would look better. They get lost in the silver.

Right Pata.......I had the bottom especially painted to my own design of colour.

It's actually a metallic gunmetal from Mitsubishi and not black.

You might remember the photos I sent over of the completed task front and rear with paint under "brilliant silver thread."

Darren...I didn't ask how they were going with production.

Cheers,

Rob.

Hi All,

The December issue of Wheels is now available, and as we knew, it has a test between the Mazda MPS and the Liberty GT.

As we also (mostly) predicted, the Mazda won the comparrison, although it wasn't the walkover that a lot of people thought it may be. Wheels seemed to be struggling to find ways to justify the Mazda as being "better" as some of the differences were very subjective I thought.

I think that most of the Mazda's points of excellence over the Liberty GT will be addressed by the Liberty by Sti when it appears anyway, so maybe a few Mazda owners may get a fright.

I wonder if Wheels or Motor will compare an STi Liberty to the Mazda MPS ? The Wheels article mentions the STi model but only in a side bar.

One of us may have to offer Wheels our personal cars for testing when we get them perhaps...

Darryl

Darryl,

I'd be very happy to offer your car :D - I'll be too busy enjoying mine!!!

Seriously though, I hope they do test the tuned car - it is a serious MPS eater. But (as I have posted elsewhere) the MPS does have the std GTs measure across the board based on driving both cars for about 30-45 mins...

Hey Boys.... and girls hope all is going well.

Back from Sunny Darwin.

As I reported last week, the build date is 5th of December, so only a few days away from the start of that. Personally Ive only seen the AB Mule and it had the black rims, they look ok but for mine, I think the silver ones will look tight on the UG.

As for the comparo b/w MPS and GT, read the article pretty quickly. For mine, I see the Liberty as a 3 yr old unit now vs Mazda and their brand new engine and specs, so of course we are going to lag a little behind in some areas but just wait till the STi lands for the upper cut then wait for the 2.5 to land for the knock out blow. We are not down and out by a long shot.

Ada///M.

Thats totally right. A bit of competition is fantastic to say the least and good to see Mazda trying to step it up a bit, they have been lagging for such a long time. Their RX8 is really their first big step back into the Arena.

Ada///M.

Archived