LegacyGT.com

Sydney Motor Show - Liberty GT "Tuned By STi"

slugdriver

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fan,

There were only ever 20 black ones - call me cynical but I am damn sure that was so they could put "SOLD OUT" up on the website within the first week!!!!!

Just go out and put your name down. You know you want one LOL

LOL thanks... hmm I think.

Dont get me wrong, Im excited (Big Kev Style) but not getting too carried away, once it arrives and I can touch it, sit in it and take it for a run, thats when I will get carried away. All I have seen is 1 test mule and more pictures that one can recall.

Dont worry, once they all land and we are ready, a group meet will be set up here in Melbourne, prior to the F1GP, so you will have to come to that.

For all of us complaining about the lack of BREMBO's check this link and let me know what you all think. Chester, Rick, Darren & Darryl and anyone else from Oz with a LGT.

TIA.

Ada///M.

http://mastrowrx.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=330

Adam, those Brembos do look tempting.....

but some questions

- are the WRX rotors a drop-in replacement for the GT rotors?

- do you have a local installer in mind?

- what about the rear...?

- do you think I could write this off as "repairs and maintenance"? LOL

damn, I wish they had just left the JDM Brembos on our cars!

Fan,

Just go out and put your name down. You know you want one LOL

Tempeted but I've only had the GT for just over a year and a half. I think I better calm down and wait another year, two max. Who knows they might have a 3.0 turbo by then.

From what I understand mate,........

Yes they are a drop in replacement

Installer ??? no idea other than our friendly MOD guy Vin @ STi Docklands

Unsure what you could do with the rear atm, but Im sure mastrowrx would have the rears aswell.

Well why not, its a well um yeah ahhh sorta repair if u look at it.... lol

Amen to your last comment.

Certainly a LOT of ifs and buts regarding this replacement, would much rather a local supplier/install incase you have dramas. Will keep the eyes peeled.

Ada///M.

The E46M was (correct Darren) the first to break the 100BHP per litre and Im sure with the E90M they will be trying to keep with that.

I don't know about the Aussie market, but I believe that in the USA, the Honda S2000 was introduced prior to the E46 M3, and therefore the Honda beat the Bimmer to that honor.

p.s. Adam you really should ditch the Webbermeister and put up a more appropriate Avatar...

Well, one thing you have to say for Webber is that he looks very good if you put him in a crappy car with a crappy teammate.

There's a guy doing the bulk import jobby on these on the Vic WRX forum - $1875 a pair I think...

For all of us complaining about the lack of BREMBO's check this link and let me know what you all think. Chester, Rick, Darren & Darryl and anyone else from Oz with a LGT.

TIA.

I'm going to see whether the car needs them first - can do wonders with better fluid and better pads for starters...

Good idea Darren, but for mine, a STi with 30 odd HP more than a standard GT with scoring issues already is reason for concern but will wait and see what happens. If this guy on the WRX forum can get them so cheap, u have to ask the question why cant a company such as Subaru/STi get them for the same price if not cheaper and make it an option tick box.... ?

Dont try and answer Darren, the answer will only PAIN me lol.

Ada///M.

PS & to RFD and his BS comments on MW, just curious, when was the last time USA had a driver in F1?

I think the problem for SA/STi here is that they are doing the suspension etc mods down here...

The Brembos won't fit until you've swapped to the Bilstein suspension, etc so they'd need to fly in both the Brembos and the standard brakes. It does raise the question of why not just import the JDM GT STi and then do the ECU mod here? I guess there have to be good cost reasons for doing it the way they have but they are not clear right now.

p.s. At least we have Webber and Atkinson. I guess RFD has Marcos Ambrose now...

If cost was an issue to fly them out, gee I could have helped them with that.

Agree re the fitment issues but then again, each set of calipers could have been put inside the glovebox or boot and sent out as well. Maybe we dont have the full picture, just dislike living in this haze lol.

Off to STi NOW, so will update y'all tonight/tmrw morning.

Wish me luck.

Ada///M.

PS. Marcos Ambrose I wish him all the best but I would say he will be back within 2 - 3 race seasons. It certainly wont do him any harm thats for sure. Just look at Brighty, he did great in the C.A.R.T Championship but just never got noticed, hence he is back driving V8 Supercars. We have some great driving championships around the World now and great to see so many Aussies featuring in them.

You guys don't have the Bilstein suspension in Australia? I thought your GT's were more or less the same as the JDM GT, and I assumed you had the standard JDM Bilstein struts. In any case, forgive my ignorance, but why do you need the Bilsteins for the Brembos to fit?

Umm, who the h3ll is Marcos Ambrose? I've never heard of him. We'll have Scott Speed in F1 next year, either with Red Bull or their junior team (the former Minardi squad).

I'm just teasing about Webber, but the talk of him as a future champion certainly subsided last year when he was teamed with Heidfeld. Personally, I would put Webber in a category with Heidfeld, Jenson Button and, oh, Ralf Schumacher, none of whom I consider "A-level" drivers (yet). One thing Webber has going for him is Briatore, who will make sure MW has every opportunity to prove himself.

edit: I would put my favorite driver Villeneuve in the same category as Webber et al, because I don't believe he has been an "A-level" driver since 2000. I will always have a negative opinion of Prodrive because of David Richards' blatant efforts to destroy Villeneuve's career.

edit#2: I just looked up the Ambrose guy, and it's good to see Nascar getting more international drivers. I don't personally follow Nascar much though; I'm a rare American F1 fan. You guys should be getting a good look at Scott Speed's rear wing and diffuser next year through Webber's onboard camera.

RFD,

It's a long story but (with all the usual disclaimers re fact, aus conditions, etc) maybe the process we think the cars are going through will help....

(1) A standard Aus spec GT is built in Japan with the following changes - don't fit a sunroof, add all black interior, add Alcantara STi seats, add STi dash and add wierd JDM glass

** So at the end of the production line is this wierd offspring of mating an Aus spec GT with some STi bits - but it is not a true GT STi **

(2) Export said vehicle to Aus for retrofitting

(3) In Aus, fit ECU, exhaust, suspension components and wheels

** The 18" wheels won't fit on the standard GT suspension and neither will the Brembos **

To be honest, the more I think about it, the more I wonder why they didn't just import JDM STi models and do the computer reflash here. I'm amazed the approach they are using is cheaper????

Cheers,

Darren

** The 18" wheels won't fit on the standard GT suspension and neither will the Brembos **

Huh? Perch clearance then?

I fitted 18" Prodrives with stock suspension and no issues. They were 1/2" wider and maintain the factory clearance with respect to offset. 18x7.5 ET53. Last I saw the STi wheels you guys get, the fitment was identical. I may be remembering that wrong.

RFD,

To be honest, the more I think about it, the more I wonder why they didn't just import JDM STi models and do the computer reflash here. I'm amazed the approach they are using is cheaper????

Cheers,

Darren

Darren, I'm still grappling with the logic too, and it is also very hard to get factual information out of SA (they tend to treat their customers, and dealers, like mushrooms from my experience!)

If the build process for our cars is as you describe, then I suspect it has something to do with the cost of ADR compliance. To factory build 300 JDM "tuned by STi" GTs and ship them to Australia would have to be far cheaper than modifying them locally. The Australian spec "tuned by STi" Liberty is, after all, equivalent to the JDM model, minus the Brembos and rear wiper, with a ECU reflash. But I suspect that under the Australian Design Rules this would then be considered to be a "new model" variant and would have to go through the full ADR testing. Not justifiable for 300 cars and what is effectively a runout model. If they build them in Japan as "standard Oz spec Legacy GTs", and fit the go-fast bits locally, the compliance requirements (and costs) are minimised.

I'm no expert on ADR compliance, but this is the only reason I can think of that makes any sense at all....

Sadly, we end up with a more expensive vehicle that is a little less than the sum of it's donor parts (missing the factory sunroof from the donor Oz GT, and missing the Brembos from the JDM STi GT). But still the best offer from SA yet IMHO, worth getting a little excited about, and I guess SA deserve some credit for making it happen, even if they didn't get it 100% right!

Now only if they could confirm the delivery date....

Huh? Perch clearance then?

I fitted 18" Prodrives with stock suspension and no issues. They were 1/2" wider and maintain the factory clearance with respect to offset. 18x7.5 ET53. Last I saw the STi wheels you guys get, the fitment was identical. I may be remembering that wrong.

Dan, to be honest - I don't know the detail well enough. What I do know is that it is generally held to be not possible here to put 18's on the GT as stock. I know of one guy on the Yahoo forum who has swapped the whole Spec B suspension on to his GT for this amongst other reasons. It may well be possible and just "frowned upon", but my recollection from a discussion when I bought the car was that the STi wheels won't go on the stock suspension.

OZGT, yeah I came to the same conclusion - it has to be a compliance job or something or surely SA would have gone down that path. I agree with your logic and I guess it is just that low volume thing driving it. I must also be the only guy on here who (a) didn't cross shop with an M3 and (b) didn't want a sunroof - I've never driven a car with one that didn't sh*t me because my head rubbed on it!!!

Aaah yes...delivery dates!

Hmmmm . I've fitted 18x7.5 inch wheels with 225/40/18 tyres to my stock GT without noticing any ill effect apart from some trade off in ride quality but that could be partly due to the bigger rear sway bar too.

jasper

Melbourne

Guys,

Havn't you seen the new communique from Subaru Australia... The Liberty GT Tuned by STi will absolutely be in owners hands by the first quarter of the new millenium, subject of course to comfirmation and modifying the new millenium for Australian Conditions.

Darryl

I had just written an entire passage on my experience at STi today but decided to delete it as it was just too damning. Just let me say that SA & STi sales staff and management have as much information on the STi today as they had 12 months ago.

Ada///M.

G'Day Jasper and Welcome.

Nice to have another Melbourne Member onboard here.

We are talking about the suspension and setup up to take BREMBO's rather than the actual quality of the ride. But great to hear that you are enjoying yr GT with the setup u are running.

Make sure u post up and say G'Day in the Australian/NewZealand Forum in the Where are all the Aussies thread.

Darren, I agree with all u have said bar 1thing, I didnt want a sunroof either.

Ada///M. Adam.

There's no difference between the std suspension and the bilstein and sti springs - except the sti springs will lower the car about 15mm (from memory).

18" and 19" wheels can be fitted to the std auspec GT (have a friend with 19" thatwere fitted to the car first, then lowered.

There's absolutely no reason why the Brembo's would not fit the std aus spec GT(except wheel clearance) and its definitely not a compliance thing (its on the STI WRX).

My guess would be cost and also SA not having enough of these in stock that needed getting rid off.

Aaah lads... it's just a car and George Best is dead tonight - so who gives a rats about which wheels fits. True talent taken too early...

p.s. not a Subaru topic at all - just perspective giving for me at least...

Archived