LegacyGT.com

The Motorcycle Thread V2

Asphalt track would be something to do too. Most of my bike injuries though have occurred on the street. Thanks to bad drivers.

Never been a hardcore racer at any track. I ride more trails than tracks.

Edited by 05GT Guru

Never hit a car or been hit by a car. Knock on wood.

Have had to bail out 3 times due to cars. Road rash for the most part.

Bounced off a tree head on avoiding a wrong way driver (Escalade) on a one way street. That took out my entire front end. I slammed chest first into the tree, flew backwards about 10 feet and landed on my feet like a NINJA! F'd up my rotator (again) but that was it. $3k in damage to the bikes front end.

My first bike I had a little over a year when a sable wagon decided to change 3 lanes of traffic into me. They did it as I was coming up to an intersection and checking for cars coming from the right, by the time I looked back straight they were already slamming into my left leg between the car and the bike. Bike went up a median and into a light pole. Totaled it. Took me and or my insurance company 2 years to get paid for the crash as they tried to fight what I thought was clearly their fault. The ladies grandson said "we're sorry we hit you" and she gabbed his arm and said it's not our fault.

She did let me use her cell phone though as my pants and cell phone were pretty much destroyed. Was a good day to wear the helmet as the visor ripped off and was pretty scratched up.

My first motorcycle accident occurred in early spring on leftover sand from winter 500 feet from my house as I turned onto my road, I think going 30 mph. Bike slid out and I hit my helmet on a wood post. Cracked it wide open. A couple hours later a guy found me and my bike, literally shook me awake, and helped me push my bike down the road to home. I knocked on my mom's door and she screamed and fainted. I just had a concussion and road rash but since all my clothes were shredded and bloody, I think the image got the best her. Still in HS at the time but couldn't go to school for a week or so becz my road rash was so bad I couldn't wear anything but my tighty whitey undies and even then had to lay in one position not to bleed on everything.

Road rash sucks the big muzzula.

Road rash sucks the big muzzula.

I've always been of the mind that I'd rather sweat than bleed...

As a result, I've always worn full gear when recreation riding and never really suffered rash. I've had a few raspberries under the leathers after track getoffs, and have no desire suffer any more than that.

Early on, I did often wear jeans with a jacket and boots for around town riding, and got off pretty lucky, as I've only had two street crashes in 35 years of riding. The first was a 'Vette that ran a stop sign and turned in front of me. I flew over the car and screwed up my ankle, but no rash.

The second was on Angeles Crest, where I learned the 'target fixation' lesson. Got wide and went down on the gravel at the shoulder. Fortunately, I slid into a turnout. Full leathers, so no injury. I did hit my head on a rock, which trashed my helmet.

I've had a number of track crashes over the years, and the gear has always done its job. Don't leave home without it... ;)

The worst road rash I ever had was actually from a bicycle accident. 6 years old, riding home hit a man hole cover with the front tire flew over the bars tore a whole bunch of skin off my face. Looked like I had a thick chin strap made out of scab. I ate so many crackers and pop tarts over the next few weeks as I could only open my mouth so wide without tearing the scab. I still remember laying on the couch and the feeling of pain and puss oozing out when the scab was forming.

I've always been of the mind that I'd rather sweat than bleed...

As a result, I've always worn full gear when recreation riding and never really suffered rash. I've had a few raspberries under the leathers after track getoffs, and have no desire suffer any more than that.

Early on, I did often wear jeans with a jacket and boots for around town riding, and got off pretty lucky, as I've only had two street crashes in 35 years of riding. The first was a 'Vette that ran a stop sign and turned in front of me. I flew over the car and screwed up my ankle, but no rash.

The second was on Angeles Crest, where I learned the 'target fixation' lesson. Got wide and went down on the gravel at the shoulder. Fortunately, I slid into a turnout. Full leathers, so no injury. I did hit my head on a rock, which trashed my helmet.

I've had a number of track crashes over the years, and the gear has always done its job. Don't leave home without it... ;)

I was 17 and invulnerable. Don't judge me. If I didn't have a helmet, I'm absolutely sure I would be dead. But at that point, it was the 70s. I rode always with a helmet and had a leather jacket and jeans, no matter how hot. I have to say the leather jacket did not survive, the little bitch.

No judging.... just my experiences.

I was young and invincible as well. I don't think I could have missed the 'Vette (maybe, with modern tires and ABS), but taking an MSF course probably would have saved me from the target fixation crash. That was the point I started getting serious about learning to ride and building a real skillset. I started with Keith Codes books (no DVDs then... LOL).

No judging.... just my experiences.

I was young and invincible as well. I don't think I could have missed the 'Vette (maybe, with modern tires and ABS), but taking an MSF course probably would have saved me from the target fixation crash. That was the point I started getting serious about learning to ride and building a real skillset. I started with Keith Codes books (no DVDs then... LOL).

I wanted to be Kenny Roberts but had no realistic expectation to do this, for both money and talent reasons. I never excelled in sports but in ski racing my coaches always told my parents I was fearlessly stupid. Skills were beyond me. Got my first concussion in a mogul field trying to get to my second run on time going as fast as I could when my goggles and glasses fogged up. Saw the first mogul, but not the one that sent my knees into my jaw that put into an ambulance. But the girl who took me down on the sled was gorgeous and flirty so it was all worth it. :lol:

But I am glad some people aren't stupid and learn skills. :lol:

Post the xrays. :lol:

I have some xrays with hardware installed. I even have some hardware they let me keep. I need to find them in the file cabinet. Otherwise, I have video. VHS video of the arthroscopic procedure to install and remove some hardware. Makes me cringe every time I see the drill head slip off the screw and drive right into my shoulder cup. I was out for the surgery at least, LOL.

Ice racing is pretty big in WI. Have a few friends who motocross in summer and ice race winter. It's actually the only offroad motorcycle racing in Milwaukee county. We have no tracks in the county but plenty of parks with small lakes that freeze in winter. It's pretty amazing how fast a group of guys can tear the ice up. They groom it after every heat.

Installed the new end cap with removable spark arrestor. Now I can ride on public lands! Probably going to make this bike more trail friendly and move it away from a full on MX race bike.

Larger tank, larger radiators, guards, gears etc. But for now I just registered it and put the spark arrestor on so I can legally ride on trails.

942743211_endcap.thumb.jpg.4e8ab5b7d9e66a19764f826a3873b72a.jpg

Repainted my bike again ha. This time I tried my hand at a proper paint gun. Looks good from a couple feet away; fair share of orange peel but considering I've never done before and I painted in 50-60* air temp I'm pretty happy

IMG_3746.thumb.jpg.ceb4296dc96a7bdcf6a79d4da6f75cfa.jpg

Repainted my bike again ha.

What's with the Honda wing...? :p

Seriously, looks nice. Many moons ago, I painted my racebike in a 6x12 enclosed trailer... It doesn't take fancy equipment to get decent results, especially for a racebike...

40454286830_81af489d3e_z.jpg

41539494984_7fcf0996ba_z.jpg

40454286370_fb9f61f2cb_z.jpg

Damn! That looks super good man, thats a tight space to spray in nice work

Ha the honda wing.. it's half of my company's logo, kinda looks like a bentley logo lol

Did you do a wet sand after?

I didn't! It's single stage, so wasn't sure how that works. I've read I could do some really high grit stuff and that could work, but honestly it looks pretty good and... It's a race bike haha.

I'd like to try respraying the bumpers on my legacy as they're pretty beat from city life, I would definitely want to minimize as much orange peel as possible

You can wet sand/buff most single stage urethane paint. It's kind of a PITA with motorcycle parts, though... the buffing, anyway. For a track bike, I wouldn't bother.