LegacyGT.com

The Motorcycle Thread V2

I've not heard of that, noticed it, nor seen it discussed on ADV rider or the FJ09 forum...?

The only thing some guys bitch about is the oil drain plug being vulnerable to damage, but that's only because they try to use it like a dirt bike.

Yamaha dealers usually offer demos... you should be able to find one to ride.

You ride with a "wide stance." ;)

That dealer with the Kawi Z800 really wants me to buy it lol.... probably because the Z900 is coming in a few months. Salesman called me up and said they could do it for 5,998 no prep/freight charges... 3.9% financing. They also said they could do the same for the GSXS-750 they have there except that is marked down to 5,649.

The Yamaha dealer is dead set on the 7,780 price for the 2016. 8,XXX for the 2017.

I do like the Yamaha the most though. And the GSXS-750 the least. Things to think about. I might just wait for the Z900 to be released in the next few months to see if Kawi actually has a full answer to the FZ09... instead of just selling the Z800 for under MSRP.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry if this is a repost.

Can't believe I missed that Buell made a come back under the name EBR(Eric Buell Racing). And finally it seems made a couple of great bikes.... the 1190RX and 1190SX but are now going out of business again after only 2 years as EBR. Made right down the road from me in East Troy, WI.... I actually shoot guns there quite often.

They finally made an efficient engine now that they didn't have Harley on their asses to use the sportster 1200cc motor as a starting point. The 1190cc v-twin churns out 185 crank hp and 102 trq. All the pro riders say it has one of the best chassis(which buell is kind of known for), suspension and brakes. Even though it only has 1 rotor and caliper up front... granted it is a 8 piston that is mounted on the inside of the rotor. Finally an American sport bike I can get behind.... and they're going out of business... again.

http://www.cycleworld.com/sites/cycleworld.com/files/styles/large_1x_/public/import/embedded/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/2015-EBR-1190SX-static-590x393.jpg?itok=jSPRjiWL

There is one for sale by me used for 9k with 1300miles on it.

Also I test drove a brand new Triumph Speed Triple R and kind of fell in love with it..... too bad it's 15,000 dollars.... which is above my budget... by a lot.

Edited by 05GT Guru

• 1 month later...

Show off. :lol:

Looks great, though.

Ever seen a British show on Neflix called The Motorcycle Show? It premise is a guy and a friend restoring old bikes and various other pieces on motorcycling generally. Pretty enjoyable and well done, but there a few episodes of the show's main commentator trying to learn how to race a bike after 30 years of riding and his complete lack of racer spirit. Not willing to lean the bike over, etc, which as a former street rider of a 73 Honda I completely comprehend. But it is a good series, especially if you like old British bikes.

Edited by KartRacerBoy

Just came across this. Might be old tech, but thought it was pretty cool. Couple variants..

This one appears to be RF or BT controlled.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtZWFWiodSo]Awesome biker jacket for road signal - YouTube[/ame]

Less detail, simple functionality

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZjVI47p160]Turn Signal Motorcycle Jacket - YouTube[/ame]

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 3 weeks later...

Put buying a new bike on hold as I bought a new truck last Friday. Not as fun but probably a smarter buy for me and my family. Had the KLR650 out last night on some really twisty roads. Only came across 1 car the entire time on my way back home. A civic doing 10 under the speed limit.... he was easy passed. Probably only hit 70mph tops as the road was very tight in most places but I totally forgot how much fun 42hp can be. Coming out of the turns and just being able to crank on it without worry of losing control is fun in it's own right.

Wonder how hard it is to convert a KLR650 to a supermoto. Most difficult part would probably be getting a wider tire 17 up front.

Edited by 05GT Guru

• 3 weeks later...
Previous owned a ZX-7R. I'm Shopping for my next bike. Can't decide between the 2017 MV Agusta F3 675rc or 2016 Honda CBR600rr (white/black). These are the (2) bikes that I narrowed it down to. The MV is a much lighter bike then the Honda but cost allot more.

• 1 month later...

Picked this up today! 2014 FZ-09. I've been shopping for an FZ-07 in the same colors for awhile but there hadn't been any for sale. This came up at my local dealer on consignment for a great price so I made an offer on it and they took it. Its an absolute blast to ride.

c9189b546c48b62ff0162c5c0713b94b.jpg

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Luckily for me though my dad keeps buying motorcycles even though he sold his house and no longer has a garage. So he leaves them at my house... and forgets about them. He bought a 2017 Vulcan S this year. I have put a majority of the miles on it.

I have always had powerful bikes... all my street bikes were 100hp+ and my last offroad bike was a 450. I didn't think 60-65hp would be enough... I have to say the Vulcan S with the 650cc twin(same engine as the ninja 650 and z650) is surprising peppy. I still miss the foot pegs every now and then, it's hard to get used to them being so far out in front of me... instead of directly down.

It's the bike on the right.

191341078_VulcanS.thumb.jpg.0fa8da0f43564c14804121f2003d82fa.jpg

Edited by 05GT Guru

• 4 months later...

How many LGT members are motorcyclists?

There's been mention here and there by some of the motorcyclists on this forum, I figure we should have a thread for our shenanigans. Post up a pic of your bike if you want and answer some questions, or don't. Anyone who is thinking of getting into motorcycling feel free to post too.

1) What kind of bike(s) do you ride?

2) Where do you ride?

3) When did you start riding?

4) 1 piece of advice for new riders

-------------------------------------------------

1) I ride a 2015 Yamaha FJ-09, it's awesome.

2) I mostly commute 30 miles to work back and forth, Missouri has some pretty kick ass wine country that I ride around during the summer months with some good 2 lane twisties (those familiar with St. Louis, go 94 South to Highway D and DD)

3) 3 years ago on a Vstrom 650

4) Ride your own pace, and take the MSF

Brought to you by Pfizer

Silly noobs.

I currently don't own any bikes but I'm looking to change that shortly. My dad does keep his 2017 Vulcan S in my garage since he sold his house as part of his retirement plans. So I get to ride that whenever he isn't using it. Before that he was keeping his KLR650 in my garage.

I ride mainly in Southeastern WI. With the occasional trips around the state and surrounding states, MI, IL. I also enjoy riding dirt... a lot. Mainly trails/woods but also the occasional track. It's fun to push the limits off road and the plus side is you can actually push the machine without breaking the law.

Started riding off road at 10ish but no dirt bikes until 17 on. Before that it was ATVs/carts/snowmobiles. Started riding bikes on road at 19ish.

The clutch is your friend. Anytime you feel that you're losing control of the throttle or the bike because of power just remember to pull that clutch. So many times have I seen someone stay on the throttle straight into an obstacle or until they wipe out because they either freeze and don't know what to do or are falling off the bike and are gripping the handle bars and therefore the throttle. Just pull the clutch and let that bitch rev until you can regain control or shut it down.

Blue f4i is my first street bike, had another f4i, white one is a 600rr, my last dirt bike a 07 crf450r, had a 05 crf250r before that and started on a older kxf125, the klr650 and the Vulcan S is the bike in the middle in the last pic.

HPIM1503.thumb.JPG.0a01bc8969d7f4027e6b9964951af5cf.JPG

leftside.jpg.d4357c9df808333cc816634b0112c5a8.jpg

rightside.jpg.7b08590bda474f8c6a9745058e1acb18.jpg

crf3.thumb.jpg.7cc4e084385bd3127e76c08a7afa1d6c.jpg

crf4.jpg.0cfcef89abef2bb4049114032e9047b9.jpg

KLR6505.thumb.jpg.69ab1d39ec0e8e53eec5cfa7e2fd237c.jpg

1134868114_VulcanS.thumb.jpg.943153610dcb62821f20add2e392e47e.jpg

Edited by 05GT Guru

I have had a few bikes, but the one that was most fun was a Yamaha XT500.

The only thing that I think could be considerably improved on that bike was the front brake, a small cable controlled drum brake isn't the most efficient thing when you want to stop.

453747.png