LegacyGT.com

The Motorcycle Thread V2

I wonder. Have any motorcycle companies put something like Blue Tooth on their bikes so riders can talk on the phone while riding? Seems stupid for a rider to do to me, but I'm sure some kid thinks it's cool. If they could only figure out how to text while riding.

And does any manufacturer have a nav system on their bikes? I imagine a Blue Tooth system with a smart phone would make such a system extraneous, though.

I remember in my youth when tech talk on bikes meant fork diameters, one sided or two sided swing arms, valves per cyclinder, desmodromics, etc. :lol:

Bluetooth helmets or helmet communication systems have been around for years.

Whenever you want to know if any motorcycles have certain tech just look at the current year Goldwing. Has nav and Bluetooth and many buttons. Also has an airbag.

goldwing.thumb.jpg.9d2c10c8a31a073cffaaf6e92c0f4ed7.jpg

Edited by 05GT Guru

:lol:

Actually, I think by that time the Japanese were more afraid of the USSR and Stalin invading than our bombs. They didn't want a north and south Japan.

So now my plan is to represent plaintiffs nationwide injured on Goldwings with Bluetooth and nav. If you can't get rich on legal fees on the front end, get them on the back end.

Edited by KartRacerBoy

Nah. I have never done plaintiff work and won't do so now, but my hair slicking is limited to gel, not grease, unlike Trumps. Being a magistrate is good, but I still miss being a public defender. Much less money but much more fun. Being a referee is not the same as being a competitor.

It never is, you have more expectations, you can't be bias, it sucks having to be the moderate voice of reason between 2 sides... no fun.

That's not it. Being in front of a jury was ok, but arguing the law to a judge (or better yet to a Court of Appeals or Indiana Supreme Court) was like your mind on a knife edge. I lost plenty of appeals (becz frankly most cases have no merit for an appeal but Indiana grants every convicted person the right to appeal their case for free), but I think I argued 10-12 cases before Indiana's Supreme Court, 2/3's of those in which the state scotus asked for oral argument). I won all but one. Scotus only asks for oral arguments if the case is unusual or they are leaning a certain way and want to be pushed over the edge, but it was still fun. You have to get the case to that edge to make it interesting for them.

Make America Great Again at the 2018 Motorcross of Nations held this year at Redbud, a national track in Michigan. Those damn commie French have won the past 4 years... but now that Trump is POTUS it's our year!

https://redbudmxon.com/

On a more real note it should be a good showing for the USA. We have our champion 450 rider Tomac in open class, champion 250 rider Plessinger in the 250 class and the 4th overall AMA 450 rider Barcia in the 450 class. 2nd AMA 450 rider is French and 3rd AMA 450 rider is German so it's basically the best 3 Americans you can have(in the AMA anyway). And it's on an American track that they all race and practice at multiple times a year.

Most people are more concerned with a side race though. Who is the fastest in the world... Eli Tomac (AMA 450 champ last 2 years) or Jeffrey Herlings AKA "The Bullet" who is the fastest rider in MXGP. Basically it's Americas fastest vs the rest of worlds fastest and when it's all said and done fans on one side or the other will be butthurt.

It is a pretty classic track. It has Larocco's leap but that is more of a distance jump(if you triple it) than a high flying big air time jump. So even the biggest jump is more aimed towards low flying speed. That is part of the reason they chose it... the GP riders aren't used to big, high flying jumps so having a track full of them would be a huge disadvantage for them.

I would like to go just to see it all and meet fans from 40 other countries but we have a trip planned for my wife's and sister's birthdays which are October 5th and October 9th.

Redbud is a GREAT track. Most outdoor tracks test your stamina and ability to get through rough terrain fast. The spectators tend to be congregated in specific areas of the track and can not see it all.

Indoor/stadium tracks are about rhythm, and yes big air for the crowds as the entire track is visible from the stands.

The indoor tracks are FAR better groomed. Outdoor, is more true off-road.

Correct, which is why injuries are often times more severe in Supercross. You get that rhythm wrong on a SX track and you're most likely going airborne with nothing to land on but some part of your body.

Supercross is where the money is at these days... in America anyway. I prefer MX though. The stamina it takes really tests riders... as do the elements. Also like the multiple lines and areas to pass in MX. Lines changing throughout the day/race. MX is cleaner racing because of the amount of time and room. SX seems like it turns into a slam fest sometimes... where cutoffs and tail checks can see a slower guy winning.

Edited by 05GT Guru

When I was into bikes in the 70s/80s, MXers were usually the fittest of the athletes when tested by sports physicians. First or second always with only soccer players as competition.

Baseball? "Basaballa been berry, berry good to me" financially, as a SNL character oft said. Physically not so much? Anyone else remember an ABC show pitting various athletes of different sports against one another in different types of competition? Strength, speed, agility. Jody Scheckter, F1 champion, won the first year against all the stick and ball and strength guys.

I was on the football team in highschool and I was also friends with the MX guys. A lot of the football players would argue that MX riders weren't real athletes because "the bike does most of the work". I would tell them how wrong they were but they never changed their tune.

A good buddy of mine(best man at my wedding) works out 3-4 days a week and eats very well. He thinks he can beat me at any physical activity so last time we were up at the camper he took our buddies bike and I took mine. I knew I would beat him in speed as I knew the trail and have ridden a lot more than him in general. I went a speed I felt would wear him out without making him ride too far over his head. The real test was endurance and while he never quit I could tell his arms were going numb and by the end he was having trouble controlling the bike and getting back through the obstacles we came through on the way in. Went down twice on the way out as a result of it. When we got back to the road and stopped for a couple minutes I said "Want to go for round 2". I could tell by his stare he didn't want to but is also never one to back down from a challenge. I just laughed and said "we can be done". He didn't argue and looked relieved. His numb arms and later sore thighs wasn't from lack of fitness but rather lack of knowing how to hold onto a bike and how to move on the bike. He put too much of the strain in his arms anytime elevation changed or we would get on the gas.

This may be politically incorrect, but how about horse races around motocross tracks between bike races? I was reading this thread and thinking of the movie True Lies where Arnold has a chase scene on a horse vs a motorcycle.

Ok, horses on such a track might suffer many injuries so not a great idea, but are there not cross country horse/rider races out west? So change the media to a small motox track with multiple laps! Double the Redbud audience!

Lol I know the scene you're referring to in True Lies. I love that movie by the way. One line I never understood though and me and my dad get a kick out of it's ridiculousness is when the used car dealer who is pretending to be a spy to sleep with Arnold's wife is explaining to him what attracts him to her and he says "ass like a 10 year old boy" WTF... I have never looked at a woman's ass and said mmmm mmmm now there's an ass like a 10 year old boys. Seriously... WTF.

Horses on a MX track... now there is an idea lol. How are you not rich yet with all these great ideas?

For my next act, how about death row inmates around a Supercross track? Winner gets sentence commuted as time served. Go out of bounds, bullet to the head.

Just hand them a multitool, drop them off at some location far north in polar bear land. If they make it back alive to civilization they have earned it.

Film them from a distance and make a TV show of it.

453747.png