LegacyGT.com

The Motorcycle Thread V2

Damn! That looks super good man, thats a tight space to spray in nice work

Ha the honda wing.. it's half of my company's logo, kinda looks like a bentley logo lol

I didn't! It's single stage, so wasn't sure how that works. I've read I could do some really high grit stuff and that could work, but honestly it looks pretty good and... It's a race bike haha.

I'd like to try respraying the bumpers on my legacy as they're pretty beat from city life, I would definitely want to minimize as much orange peel as possible

Because RACE BIKE!

In my limited experience as a novice painter, orange peeling happens. My friends and I painted our 3 bikes 10 years or so ago. Maybe we were missing some key element or technique. Regardless, it was so much better after a thorough wet sand.

Finally got the new dirt bike muddy on the trails outside of the Wisconsin Dells. Trail was a bit rough and had a lot of water in low spots but the bike and I did well. I did low side once in some sand, on a turn. Lost too much RPM and the bike(in whatever gear I was in) didn't have the power to bring itself back up once it started diving too far. Something that didn't happen with my 450r. The 450r was a handful coming out of turns but going through them, it had the trq to save my noob self from low siding in situations like that. Still, the bike ran well and ripped hard... so far I'm liking this purchase. My back is a bit sore.... I'm getting old.

Was really hot so I only rode in the mornings and spent the afternoons on the pontoon boat on the Wisconsin river.

mud.thumb.jpg.7a0d8220d3d9e10b35f773937d38c163.jpg

Edited by 05GT Guru

Here is the boat.... covered. I always forget to take pictures while we're actually on the boat. Usually because I'm driving/swimming and my phone is stored in a cabinet. I'm sure the wife took a few though.

2017 Sweetwater

316250238_pontooncover.thumb.jpg.f1d990572a24d3c2eb48509b6d3d6eec.jpg

• 2 months later...

Can't believe how dead this thread has been this summer. I am riding the yz250f a lot more than I thought I would. Almost every weekend this summer and a few weekdays that I have had off of work. Mostly on the trails by the camper or at Bong Recreation State Park in SE Wisconsin. Have taken the kids out on their xr50 a few times but mostly they ride around our yard/street. Here is the yz250f in the back of my truck with a buddies rmz250 on the way to the camper.

Really loving this bike so far. Only issue it ever gave me was it died while riding on the trail the other day and I couldn't get it started until I rolled it down a hill and popped it. I thought it was out of gas but it wasn't so I must have flooded it... I was taking it easy and just cruising down the trail which I guess the bike didn't like. It has ran great ever since but I'm usually hauling ass... especially in the sand sections. Secret to riding sand is throttle, throttle and some more throttle. Any time you let of the gas it just pulls you every where.

bikes.thumb.jpg.6409c86d3c25f2bf6c5c2f56200549d3.jpg

The yz250F(F meaning Four) is a 4 stroke. I didn't think I was cool enough for a 2 stroke.

All mx bikes have a adjustable air/fuel screw. I leave mine alone most of the time as I think the bike runs well in my normal operating range. 60-90 degrees out. Most of WI is around 500-800ft. Just having fun. I have some friends who race and tune their air/fuel screw almost every time they bring their bikes out for that perfect power delivery. I'm usually already going the trail/track having fun while they do this.

Edited by 05GT Guru

I thought it was a two stroke becz of our previous conversations about them.

With karts, we had a T elongated adjustment screw so you could adjust it during the race. Richer in turns but lean it out on straights to get max revs. But we were always at 10-16k revs, not something even a two stroke endure bike would normally do in everyday riding, I imagine.

Yep, I remember. I was debating which to go with, for now I am glad I went with 4 stroke. When the day comes I have to replace the valves/timing chain and rebuild the head will be the day I curse 4 strokes.

The stock air/fuel screw you have to stick a small flat head inside a channel in the carb to adjust. They sell lots of aftermarket ones that extend out of the carb with a knob n the end to turn so you adjust with no tools.

Regarding dirt bike rpm. 250cc 2 strokes max rpm is around 9-9500 with peak power around 8500. 125cc 2 stroke max rpm is around 11500. 250cc 4 stroke max rpm is 13-14500. Peak power around 11500 to 12500. The nice thing about the 4 stroke is that it makes power more widely over the powerband. Downside is they make less peak power. These are motocross race bike numbers of course. Trail bikes or enduros have much less power per cc and much less rpm.

Edited by 05GT Guru

It would make a GREAT first bike. I bought it specifically to mod it and hopefully sell parts to new (first bike) owners. It did not work out that way, so since I have the bike I have put about 6k miles on it in the past few months. Rides very smooth (with the Ohlins it was under damped from the factory). Power delivery is linear (although limited it is a 500). Transmission is, well its a Honda, butter smooth. Brakes are more than adequate and I dont have the ABS, I like to skid. LOL. 6th gear is pure overdrive. I hit my top speed in 5th. 105mph.

Rode the Vulcan S to work today. Stopped in at a local park on lunch to speak to the wife about plans for tonight. Judging by this picture it's clean my cell phone Camera... or just get a new cell phone. Since mine is legit from 2012/13. I feel like the guy in the commercial about becoming your dad where he says "Why would I replace this... it's not broken".

651623167_bikeatpark.thumb.jpg.2cfd382f7d13d8873c53a6a889c3ea53.jpg

• 1 month later...

Harley has been talking about their new line spreading into new markets. Here is their first model aimed at a new market. It's a 975cc vtwin... street fighter. Hopefully Rotax or Agusta taught them how to make power with a v-twin before they cut ties because if this 975cc v-twin doesn't make well north of 100hp they are going to be outgunned in the 800cc+ naked sport bike market.

https://www.sportrider.com/harley-davidson-announces-new-v-twin-sportbike

Needs more pic...

h-d_v-twin-sportbikehero.jpg?itok=Icy41Tgp&fc=50,50

H-D's customer base is aging out of motorcycling, so they need to do something. I agree, if the bike isn't competetive, image alone isn't going to sell it with a younger clientele. Just the size of the engine compared to the rest of the bike in that pic makes it look cartoonish.

The bar in that category is pretty high.

I wonder. Have any motorcycle companies put something like Blue Tooth on their bikes so riders can talk on the phone while riding? Seems stupid for a rider to do to me, but I'm sure some kid thinks it's cool. If they could only figure out how to text while riding.

And does any manufacturer have a nav system on their bikes? I imagine a Blue Tooth system with a smart phone would make such a system extraneous, though.

I remember in my youth when tech talk on bikes meant fork diameters, one sided or two sided swing arms, valves per cyclinder, desmodromics, etc. :lol:

Edited by KartRacerBoy

I'm pretty sure the lawyers would have apoplectic fits if any engineer/designer actually had the temerity to suggest that for a production motorcycle. Would be pretty cool for music/GPS on a touring rig, though.

I'm pretty sure the lawyers would have apoplectic fits if any engineer/designer actually had the temerity to suggest that for a production motorcycle. Would be pretty cool for music/GPS on a touring rig, though.

I have a feeling money, er, trumps, lawyer conniptions as long as the profit outweighs lawsuit losses. And young adult motorcyclists usually don't have wives/kids so no heirs to sue in many states.

As a lawyer, I would commission research into this issue to see if bike makers could limit such tech to people without heirs so if the rider died from stupidity, no lawsuit would ensue. Ban such tech from people with families.

Better yet, include terms in the bike's bill of sale waiving all lawsuits by the rider or his heirs/estate based on the electronic communications tech. We know millennials don't have the time to read what they sign. I see this as win-win. I'm contacting Harley soon! I see a thriving (short term) market.

Oh, and have a special app for sport bikes that pointed out the best local/regional/national twisty roads for blasting down. Base pricing on how large the geographic region is. Special discounts for the flat, straight farm road Midwest. A company can encourage hooliganism while limiting liability.

Edited by KartRacerBoy

It's an uphill battle... no doubt. How to achieve the performance... keep the price competitive with the Japanese... or if they go too high and cross over into Euro bike territory then the fit and finish has to be great and they have to have 100 miles of electronics wired in.

Still, glad to see them trying something other than more cruisers and touring bikes while just repeating "American made" or "It's a lifestyle".