LegacyGT.com

The Motorcycle Thread V2

Motus built their own Pushrod V4s though, which was pretty amazing. The design was inspired by the LS motor. Jay Leno's garage had an episode on them. Pretty cool stuff. 126lbft of torque is immense.

I saw that on their website the single cam and pushrod internals. It is cool stuff and 126ftlbs is quite a bit but 36k is still insane. Even the Italian and German/Austrian bikes aren't that much.

Edited by 05GT Guru

Push rod engines. In the 2000s. Just farkin' high tech winners! :lol:

So is Harley building steam engine sportsters to catch up on sales? Giggle. ;)

And yet almost no engine design can provide the power, fuel economy and reliability the GM pushrod small blocks can. Plenty of real world owners clocking almost 30mpgs freeway in their 650hp corvette z06s.

I thought pushrods were lighter and carried their weight lower since the camshaft is in the valley? They also only need one camshaft vs. dohc.

Correct, they are. Small block vs small block the bottom ends are pretty similar. But the heads on a DOHC motor are much much bigger. They have to fit 2 cams per bank and on a v8 it's 4 cams vs 1... and all that extra casting to house the cams and all those chains to drive the cams. In a pushrod motor there is just a hole through the center of the block in casting that is already there because the block is always there regardless of cam location.

For example the DOHC coyote 5.0 ford motor is about 50lbs heavier than a 6.2 liter LT1. Not only are they heavier but they have a wider foot print because it's a V8 and the heads are so much bigger. So it actually takes up more space in an engine bay than a pushrod small block as well.

I member in 2008 or around then when BMW released their 4.0 v8 for the new M3 and it won the international engine award a few years in a row I couldn't help but think... why? Sure it was a cool motor, that reved to 8500rpms and sounded sweet but the LS3 came out the same year.... it was 2.2 liters bigger but it made about 20 more horsepower... a shit ton more trq 295 for the bmw vs 420 for the ls3... it weighed about 40lbs less, took up less space and the Camaro that year was rated 3mpg better city and 7mpg better highway.... despite it weighing almost 4klbs. The m3 was a far better car overall but motor vs motor it really didn't have any benefits over the pushrod v8. In fact it lacked and fell behind in a few areas.

Edited by 05GT Guru

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Maybe. Whaddyagot?

XBR12 Lightning. Fuel pump just shit the bed. I am about done with this machine. A good $4k in new parts recently and now the fuel pump died. Its just more labor to swap out than I want to get into with a x-country move coming up. Time to sell all 4 bikes prior to moving.

2 Hondas, 1 Yamaha and 1 Buell going on the block. Might sell the Forester too and move just 1 vehicle.

If it was not a fuel frame bike the pump swap would not be bad. But the swingarm has to come off to drop the pump. I dont have the shop anymore, so I dont have the tools to hang the bike in mid air and perform the job without removing everything.

• 1 month later...
The drunk midget in my family is really putting a damper on my ability to go riding. He needs to hurry up and grow tall enough to reach my passenger foot pegs so I can get back to it. The FJ09 isn't getting whipped around like she deserves. :icon_cry:.

Brought to you by Pfizer

My little monkey has no interest in riding at all. She turns 6 this month. Zero adrenaline level threshold.

I sold her battery powered quad and car. Big wheel too. She never rides her bike (with training wheels). She barely rides her scooter.

It is mind bottling.

My kid has no sense of self-preservation as demonstrated by his willingness to walk off the sofa, jump down stairs, and repeated attempts to electrocute himself. I got him a "My Little Arsonist" play kit, which still wasn't enough for him. I'm hoping he calms down once he turns two.

Brought to you by Pfizer