LegacyGT.com

Steering squirrely at 50 mph and above

The emotional tenor of the last couple posts is why I stopped being actively involved in this thread, but just to provide my final input on my problem: I took a Turnpike ride (new pavement) yesterday to attend a mtg. Steering/handling was OK around 60 mph, but when I got up to 70, the front end often felt like I was driving a boat, with unexpected changes in direction going both ways. Yes, I have tried to acclimate to the EPAS, and most of you don't experience this at all, but at least 2 of us do experience this squirrelliness. I intend to periodically check in with my service mgr. to learn if the source of this issue has been identified.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The emotional tenor of the last couple posts is why I stopped being actively involved in this thread, but just to provide my final input on my problem: I took a Turnpike ride (new pavement) yesterday to attend a mtg. Steering/handling was OK around 60 mph, but when I got up to 70, the front end often felt like I was driving a boat, with unexpected changes in direction going both ways. Yes, I have tried to acclimate to the EPAS, and most of you don't experience this at all, but at least 2 of us do experience this squirrelliness. I intend to periodically check in with my service mgr. to learn if the source of this issue has been identified.

Well that sucks. Really wish I had some suggestions for you but you are already doing what you should be.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Honestly, I must of really got to you. For you to come back to this thread just to try to once again one-up me. Awesome. Really awesome. You are a very small person, and must of had one hell of a childhood. Good luck to you guy.

Honestly, you really are a dyed in the wool troll. Once again attempting to divert focus onto me vs offering up answers to the question that would potentially help the community and could certainly help the OP with his issue.

Just what I figured, you've closed the last chapter in the book that defines you. I'd ask once again about what fixed your car but you'd come back with a paragraph that would be void of answers and over run with "Hey look at me". Such a sorry small man.

What a pity.

Honestly, you really are a dyed in the wool troll. Once again attempting to divert focus onto me vs offering up answers to the question that would potentially help the community and could certainly help the OP with his issue.

Just what I figured, you've closed the last chapter in the book that defines you. I'd ask once again about what fixed your car but you'd come back with a paragraph that would be void of answers and over run with "Hey look at me". Such a sorry small man.

What a pity.

Its funny that you take this to heart. You are a simple man and probably uneducated so I will lay off you.

And for the rest of you, if you read my previous posts I have not found an answer for the wandering.

In less you are masochistic or you enjoy confrontational conversation it would behoove you to find another hobby.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160815/8ef5b4b4c0df1e4f3481636dde701e1c.gif

I will say it for you that was a passive aggressive statement. [emoji85]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

It less you are masochistic or you enjoy confrontational conversation it would behoove you to find another hobby.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160815/8ef5b4b4c0df1e4f3481636dde701e1c.gif

I will say it for you that was a passive aggressive statement. [emoji85]

thanks for the tip old man

• 1 month later...
I've had my 2017 Legacy premium for 2 weeks and did feel car was wandering slightly on highway for 1st week. Now all wandering feeling is gone and car drives rock solid on highway. I do wish Subaru offered 2 or 3 settings to adjust steering sensitivity and effort.

I've had my 2017 Legacy premium for little less than 2 weeks and did feel car was wandering slightly on highway ...

1) Check/set your tire pressures to spec.

2) If that doesn't help,have your wheel alignment checked. You want it not just "within limits," but set to the center of the allowable range.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Just a 5th genner creeping around here... but.. I noticed that nobody has posted alignment results.. just that things were or were not "in spec". Since the "specs" are wide enough to drive a bus through, I'd start there.

My 5th gen was born with 0.5 degrees of cross caster and it caused all kinds of weird wandering problems. The dealers actively ignored it and claimed it was fine since it wasn't adjustable, even though the spec said "6.0 degrees" with no +/-. So I took it into my own hands and corrected it with an offset lower control arm bushing. After that it tracks straight as an arrow.

Also, not sure about the 6th gen, but on all other subies except the sti there is a rubber vibration damper in the steering linkage that causes weird wandering at highway speed. The Perrin steering damper lockdown fixes that.

Anyway.. its very possible that the alignment is "within spec" but still totally junk.

FWIW.

I had the same problem on my 2015. I installed the 19mm sway bar, the problem went away. For me, the fix was that simple.

Same experience.... do a search. Some people don t notice this but all these newer electronic steering ones have these symptoms. The faster you drive on certain road types the more noticeable it is. To make my point, on my 15 , my wife said she didn t notice and it was driving my nuts. Did the alignment again, air pressures, rotated tires around etc...

Did the new swaybar and after a few thousand miles either I got use to it or it faded away. Maybe as the tires get a little more worn in....

I don t know. Either way I pick up another Subi in an hour. A 2017 Outback to add to the 15 Legacy.

Just a 5th genner creeping around here... but.. I noticed that nobody has posted alignment results.. just that things were or were not "in spec". Since the "specs" are wide enough to drive a bus through, I'd start there.

My 5th gen was born with 0.5 degrees of cross caster and it caused all kinds of weird wandering problems. The dealers actively ignored it and claimed it was fine since it wasn't adjustable, even though the spec said "6.0 degrees" with no +/-. So I took it into my own hands and corrected it with an offset lower control arm bushing. After that it tracks straight as an arrow.

Also, not sure about the 6th gen, but on all other subies except the sti there is a rubber vibration damper in the steering linkage that causes weird wandering at highway speed. The Perrin steering damper lockdown fixes that.

Anyway.. its very possible that the alignment is "within spec" but still totally junk.

FWIW.

Excellent suggestion to take to my dealer. Thx. for your constructive input to this issue that some of us have.

Yes tire pressure, also balance, alignment, tires or wheels out of round, damaged belts are just a few things to have checked.

..........OR.......... Operator error. Over correction is a good possibility since electronic steering might be a new to you and you are not use to the point and shoot. In that case you will become familiar to the tracking in time just a little learning curve.

It been pointed out to you. You should reread your thread.:spin:

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

• 3 months later...
Okay so has anyone found a fix to this or any positive input from taking it into the dealership and having the squirreliness stopped? Having the same issue and I have the 20mm STI RSB and bushings. I'm on Prova Sport Lowering springs as well. I do alot of Highway driving and have alot of squirreliness in the front as well. been debating getting the front strut bar from SSD but wanted to see if anyone had found a solution, besides taking it to the dealer haha.

Okay so has anyone found a fix to this or any positive input from taking it into the dealership and having the squirreliness stopped? Having the same issue and I have the 20mm STI RSB and bushings. I'm on Prova Sport Lowering springs as well. I do alot of Highway driving and have alot of squirreliness in the front as well. been debating getting the front strut bar from SSD but wanted to see if anyone had found a solution, besides taking it to the dealer haha.

I never experienced this myself but I have the SSD strut tower brace. Maybe it fixed the issue or maybe i Just didnt have the same problem but I don't have this problem whatsoever. Also, FWIW the strut brace makes on/off ramp turning much more comfortable.

@BeastCoast1

Would be be better off putting money towards tires than the strut bar.

I never had an issue before, but definitely noticed a significant improvement in high-speed stability with switching tires. The sidewalls of the stock Goodyears is crazy thin, I've got one off the rim currently and felt it myself.

Something in the Ultra High-Performance A/S category with a stiffer sidewall is your best bet. Might notice a slightly stiffer ride but since you're lowered I'm guessing that isn't a huge concern of yours lol.

For the record I also have the strut bar, it's definitely a good upgrade but I'd definitely do tires first.

Would be be better off putting money towards tires than the strut bar.

I never had an issue before, but definitely noticed a significant improvement in high-speed stability with switching tires. The sidewalls of the stock Goodyears is crazy thin, I've got one off the rim currently and felt it myself.

Something in the Ultra High-Performance A/S category with a stiffer sidewall is your best bet. Might notice a slightly stiffer ride but since you're lowered I'm guessing that isn't a huge concern of yours lol.

For the record I also have the strut bar, it's definitely a good upgrade but I'd definitely do tires first.

Thanks for the tip! I've been starting to think about tires as of late due to having almost 30k on my car. Ill probably start there for now! Thanks!!

Archived