LegacyGT.com

Steering squirrely at 50 mph and above

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You guys see one post and then make a immediate assumption. Stop recommending me to contact SOA; this has already been done and no immediate resolution has been found as of yet. Also, for the last time this is an issue that has been ACKNOWLEDGED by the Field Service engineer, but they are yet to provide a fix. Stop nay-saying, and understand what I am writing to you. There is wandering on our cars. Stop trying to dissect that comment, and just accept it is a fact that has been acknowledged by Subaru. If you feel like you are wasting your time with this thread then go elsewhere as I am not looking to you for advice, but rather would like to hear from the many that do have this problem.

Well, no matter how certain you are that everyone but you is an idiot, it has not been established that anyone but you is having the problem that you are having.

Maybe they are, maybe they're not.

Did the Field Service engineer tell you he has experienced other 6th gen Legacies with your exact symptoms?

Even if he did, it would not be definitive that others with similar symptoms were suffering from the same underlying problem. (Do all people with fevers have the same disease?)

It's perfectly fine for you to have goals that you wish to accomplish in this thread. Other people have other goals, such as trying to do their part to make the Internet a slightly less prolific supplier of misinformation.

The big thing I don't understand, though, is why someone who knows for a fact that "Subaru is likely waiting for deaths related to the wandering before taking action" would be sitting around waiting for their car to be fixed! Why would you even consider getting in a Subaru ever again? Anyone else would have long since sold their car and sued Subaru.

To add.... Leaving the car with them and demanding a rental until it is fixed. It can't be too life threatening (as you are describing) or you would not be driving the car.

I am not driving the car, and it has been parked in my garage until some solution is met or I finish the Lemon law proceeding.

To add.... Leaving the car with them and demanding a rental until it is fixed. It can't be too life threatening (as you are describing) or you would not be driving the car.

And this^

If the car unnerved me while driving it, I wouldn't. Rather, it would be sitting at the dealer while I drove a rental.

The OP seems satisfied that his car is safe enough to drive and also satisfied that the masses must be having the same issues when here in these forums there's three people who claim it.

And the dealer's service dept has acknowledged there's a problem but weeks later and nothing is done?

Idk but I'm about to call BS on this one. A problem as severe as the one the OP says he has that is not severe enough to be handled promptly by Subaru's own service department doesn't sound like much of a problem.

I really wish I could drive this car for myself.

Edit: I see you say you've parked the car so I stand corrected on you driving it.

Technicians aren't thinkers!?! :lol::lol: You have NO CLUE about the automotive field so just stop while you are ahead.

A technician is a car doctor. Plain and simple. Your doctor doesn't use WebMD to figure out your illness.

You seem like a simple man so I will try to explain simply this time for you so you can understand. I'll go along with your wonderful analogy of a fever.

So here we go; I am explaining to you that I have a fever (ie. wandering), and even though I show you the thermometer (indicating 103 deg) you still deny it saying anything can be causing it. That doesn't negate that I am having a fever, and whatever the underlying cause is showing up as a fever (ie. wandering). People have indicated that on this forum and others that they are having wandering with their cars and maybe they are not from the same underlying cause but who cares because its causing wandering.

I'll admit i haven't been following this thread super closely, but what's the thermometer showing the fever in your example? If you had an alignment chart with readings that were way off that would be one thing, but I'm not sure I follow?

You seem like a simple man so I will try to explain simply this time for you so you can understand. I'll go along with your wonderful analogy of a fever.

So here we go; I am explaining to you that I have a fever (ie. wandering), and even though I show you the thermometer (indicating 103 deg) you still deny it saying anything can be causing it. That doesn't negate that I am having a fever, and whatever the underlying cause is showing up as a fever (ie. wandering). People have indicated that on this forum and others that they are having wandering with their cars and maybe they are not from the same underlying cause but who cares because its causing wandering.

You obviously have some brand loyalty that you can't get over that you argue so hard against the simple fact my car has an issue. Its ok guy, you'll be alright, but I am glad its getting to you that I am knocking your precious brand of car. Cause you are right, my goal is to slander Subaru for making a car that wanders.

Also, you write "Anyone else would have long since sold their car and sued Subaru". LOL. That makes me loose any possibility of respect for you, and makes you sound like you are 15 years old. You obviously have no idea how the legal system would work in this situation.

Okay, so the fever analogy was lost on you. So what I can tell you is that there are lots of professions on earth that involve troubleshooting systems, and I've been in one of them for about 4 decades or so.

So if you want to believe that "same symptom" implies "same underlying problem", be my guest. But I can tell you with a vast amount of authority that you would be believing something that is factually untrue and logically nonsense.

You also seemed to miss my point that all your posts have amounted to in terms of substance is that a Field Service engineered has acknowledged that your car and only your car is exhibiting abnormal behavior. That hardly "knocks" the Subaru brand.

Now if you had valid grounds to criticize Subaru, I'd be more than happy to criticize them too, as would most of us here. The fact that some of their cars are broken makes Subaru....nothing special. They're just like every other manufacturer in that regard. (Better than most if you look at any unbiased data.)

I'll admit i haven't been following this thread super closely, but what's the thermometer showing the fever in your example? If you had an alignment chart with readings that were way off that would be one thing, but I'm not sure I follow?

I had multiple alignments and re-alignments. Once I scan them i'll post them.

You mentioned that you've taken steps and the service people have looked at the car. I'm wondering, have you or could you or would you be willing to try something?

Jack up the car so the front wheel are not touching the ground. Then pick a side. Front wheel, try to turn it in and out. Just small amounts. Check for a "clunk, clunk that would indicate something loose or broken.

I've seen severe toe out (though you've had this checked) cause a wander issue and I've seen severely worn tie rod ends do the same. I had an older Toyota that would sort of fish tail rather quickly. Without constant correction on the steering it would wander around. Turns out the rear control arm bushings were shot and the rear wheels would actually turn just a hair, causing the car to steer by the tail. Very annoying.

Just tossing out something simple to check but understand if it's something you don't want to mess with.

You mentioned that you've taken steps and the service people have looked at the car. I'm wondering, have you or could you or would you be willing to try something?

Jack up the car so the front wheel are not touching the ground. Then pick a side. Front wheel, try to turn it in and out. Just small amounts. Check for a "clunk, clunk that would indicate something loose or broken.

I've seen severe toe out cause a wander issue and I've seen severely worn tie rod ends do the same. I had an older Toyota that would sort of fish tail rather quickly. Without constant correction on the steering it would wander around. Turns out the rear control are bushings were shot and the rear wheels would actually turn just a hair, causing the car to steer by the tail. Very annoying.

Just tossing out something simple to check but understand if it's something you don't want to mess with.

I appreciate the advice, but this is car with only a couple hundred miles on it. Would it be plausible that it came broken from the factory?

I appreciate the advice, but this is car with only a couple hundred miles on it. Would it be plausible that it came broken from the factory?

Absolutely. No maker of anything is perfect.

A member of my family is one of the guys who actually drives the cars off of the assembly line. He tells stories of things that go wrong with these cars occasionally, and this is zero miles, right off the line. Just last week he started one up that had no exhaust on it, scare the hell out of him.

The reason for this is valid and I'll not go into it here. Just suffice it to say, yes, things can be wrong with brand new cars. That's why there are warranties.

• 1 month later...

Ever get your car fixed? I see lots of missing posts and this thread was allowed to die. Or did you simply find other threads to troll?

Ever get your car fixed? I see lots of missing posts and this thread was allowed to die. Or did you simply find other threads to troll?

The problem has lessened in severity, although it still, from time to time, gives me unexpected wanderings. While a few had success with beefing up the rear sway bar, some didn't, so I decided to pass on that change. Since at least one dealer admits to not knowing the cause, I've taken the approach that I need to try to fix anything I'm doing wrong, like perhaps not having the correct feel for steering. I really like this car, and since I don't do a lot of highway driving, I can live with occasional squirrely-ness, as long as it doesn't scare me to death. So that's where I'm at.

The problem has lessened in severity, although it still, from time to time, gives me unexpected wanderings. While a few had success with beefing up the rear sway bar, some didn't, so I decided to pass on that change. Since at least one dealer admits to not knowing the cause, I've taken the approach that I need to try to fix anything I'm doing wrong, like perhaps not having the correct feel for steering. I really like this car, and since I don't do a lot of highway driving, I can live with occasional squirrely-ness, as long as it doesn't scare me to death. So that's where I'm at.

Very nice to hear, I'm glad the car is working better for you. :)

yup you got it boss.

I love the fact you came back to this thread to comment because i really got to you. awesome. i am happy now. thanks

Don't flatter yourself. I posted long ago I was watching this thread to see what the fix was. I did find it interesting that once your bullshit was called you avoided the thread but my curiosity was still piqued. So as promised, I'm watching the thread to see what the fix was/is. And you've still provided zero answers in spite of being prompted.

So what was the fix? Or did you magically get over it and move along to trolling other threads?

Very nice to hear, I'm glad the car is working better for you. :)

Don't flatter yourself. I posted long ago I was watching this thread to see what the fix was. I did find it interesting that once your bullshit was called you avoided the thread but my curiosity was still piqued. So as promised, I'm watching the thread to see what the fix was/is. And you've still provided zero answers in spite of being prompted.

So what was the fix? Or did you magically get over it and move along to trolling other threads?

Honestly, I must of really got to you. For you to come back to this thread just to try to once again one-up me. Awesome. Really awesome. You are a very small person, and must of had one hell of a childhood. Good luck to you guy.

Archived