LegacyGT.com

Questions From a New 2007 Legacy Owner

I replaced the both of them. One of the bolts was really rusty and rounded. Turned an hour of work into 4.

I also inspected the fuel pump assembly. Found out something was living in there. The pump and stuff looks fine though.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You need to use the genuine Subaru stuff. Generic antifreeze will corrode the aluminum and clog passages in the motor.
I put something here like all the cool people, except there's nothing cool to put here.

You need to use the genuine Subaru stuff. Generic antifreeze will corrode the aluminum and clog passages in the motor.

Where the heck do I find this stuff? Looking through the vacation pics, I see that the part numbers are SOA345001 and 000016218 for the conditioner and coolant, respectively. Are these discontinued?

I tend to just drop by the dealership to pick up the coolant and conditioner, just so I have it right away, and it's usually cheaper than online.

I would do that, but the nearest dealership is 100+ miles out.

The head of the Subaru parts department at my local dealership told me to use any coolant made for import(Asian) or universal coolant(multi make/model.)

Told me this while I was buying parts and could have made a sale as well! lol

Btw, he said to make sure any water ever used is distilled, or just buy 50/50 premix.

I've been using Peak Global and or Prestone for many years now with no problems. Get it from K Mart or Walmart. I've been posting that here for many years.

Just make sure you burp the coolant system really well.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I opted for the Subaru blue coolant when I did my timing belt and water pump. It is already pre-mixed and has conditioner in it as well. I only went with it for my own peace of mind but I've used global antifreeze for many years in hundreds of cars without a single problem. It's totally up to you but definitely get some conditioner in there one way or another.

I was at my local Subaru dealer today and I asked them about the coolant situation after seeing this thread. I had actually been planning to change the coolant.

The guys at the parts counter confirmed that there is a special "super" coolant that is blue but they said sometimes you can get other non Subaru brands of it but it IS in fact different from "regular" green one-size-fits-all coolant.

I went to the parts place they specifically mentioned in town (local parts place that a lot of the local shops purchase parts through) and after looking it up in the computer they gave me Red Line Water Wetter to add to regular coolant.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-80204-Water-Wetter/dp/B000CPI5ZK?ie=UTF8&keywords=red%20line%20water%20wetter&qid=1465344318&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1]http://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-80204-Water-Wetter/dp/B000CPI5ZK?ie=UTF8&keywords=red%20line%20water%20wetter&qid=1465344318&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1[/ame]

It does mention corrosion on it. My assumption is that it adjusts the pH level of the coolant overall? Anyone else come across this?

My understanding of the special super coolant is just that its a very long lasting coolant that can absolutely 100% not be mixed with ANY other coolant or I guess it might cause a chemical reaction.

I think the important thing is the subaru coolant conditioners. I read up a bit about it, and i think Subaru knowing the flaw with the heads and gaskets decided to juice/junk/dope the coolant and maybe the oil to get some more life out of the engine between head gasket jobs.

The whole point of the conditioner is to stop leaks, I wonder how much different it truly is than all the other head gasket and radiator coolant additive type sealants?

Btw that link specifically says plain water in the description, by which im guessing they mean tap water. Tap water is always a big NO! Do to calcium and additives in the water like fluoride, chlorine, etc that get concentrated and corrode coolant systems.

You should always used distilled water for mixing antifreeze or buy 50/50 premix

I've seen it mentioned a few times that the premixed subaru super coolant has conditioner mixed in.. The newest msds i can find is from 2010, but based off that it's just regular coolant, and nothing else mixed in that looks like coolant conditioner ingredients.

http://peninsulasubaruparts.com/media/images/ecatalog/itemdocuments/1001/Super%20Coolant%20-%20Long%20Life%20MSDS.jpg.pdf

I've heard subaru coolant conditioner is just stop leak from a company called holts, in a different bottle. There are a few sites out there on this topic, but here's one of them.

http://www.scoobyenthusiast.com/subaru-maintenance/all-about-subaru-cooling-system-conditioner-soa635071/

MSDS for holts radweld

http://images.toolbank.com/images/downloads/cossh/0162.pdf

I run the subaru super coolant because I run subaru's recommended drain interval of every 75k/6yr after the first change at 137k/11yr.

@ $23 a gallon, I really don't mind spending $46 for two gallons of coolant every 75k.

I know a lot of people say coolant is coolant, but there are minor differences between brands and types of coolant.

If you're still battling the rough idle and CELs, I had a similar issue when I bought my car and replacing the intake manifold gaskets fixed it.

My symptoms included a rough idle that started after a few minutes of driving, the tach dipping like it was going to stall but it would never actually stall, and a CEL and flashing light and CRUISE light. It also caused my headlights to dim in relation to the RPM dips.

If a dealer won't sell them to you, find another source. Likely any company making them now would be using the updated part numbers.

If you're still battling the rough idle and CELs, I had a similar issue when I bought my car and replacing the intake manifold gaskets fixed it.

My symptoms included a rough idle that started after a few minutes of driving, the tach dipping like it was going to stall but it would never actually stall, and a CEL and flashing light and CRUISE light. It also caused my headlights to dim in relation to the RPM dips.

If a dealer won't sell them to you, find another source. Likely any company making them now would be using the updated part numbers.

Once I replaced the ground lines, the rough idling went down.

I am heading up to a Subaru dealer this morning to pick up coolant conditioner and coolant. Is there anything else I should pick up that people normally get from Subaru dealerships?

Is there anything else I should pick up that people normally get from Subaru dealerships?

A new Legacy 3.6R might be nice....;)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I just got the coolant and coolant conditioner. They gave me the conditioner for free. They seemed a bit confused about me using the conditioner. Apparently it is only for when the system has small leaks. It is supposed to thicken up the coolant. They said that using the conditioner may end up with a clog in the system.

I've heard subaru coolant conditioner is just stop leak from a company called holts, in a different bottle.

I just got the coolant and coolant conditioner. They gave me the conditioner for free. They seemed a bit confused about me using the conditioner. Apparently it is only for when the system has small leaks. It is supposed to thicken up the coolant. They said that using the conditioner may end up with a clog in the system.

Seems to back up the claim it's a re-branded stop leak if the dealership uses it for systems with small leaks.

Archived